Chromaryu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hello. I'm knight-ryu12.

and this is release of badapple3ds! Bad Apple PV of niconico back in... 2009. now on 3DS.
I realized there is no 3DS one, there is DS one...

Full Homebrew Code + No movie being played (= no MVD. only FrameBuffer abused.)
and this is what "we've" working on it (like one month).

A big thanks to @Wolfvak who collaborated to this project and "monorale".
Code works with either *hax, Rosalina HBL. (also secondary exploit works too :D)

UPDATE: V1.1, changed few stuff and add several coloring.
v1.0: Initial Release
v1.1: Coloring Stuff and optimizations.

Source Code is available at https://github.com/knight-ryu12/badapple3ds

P.S. many edit; many apologies that this thread is bad.

Last edited by Chromaryu,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah; bit out-detail... :v
I am like, editing constantly :(

No problem. Take your time. Remember, the second worse to no message [about the who, what, where, why, and how] is a badly written one. Put in your current edit about something funny in why your post isn't ready yet followed with "Coming soon!™". When you post your finalized edit, you can bump it explaining you've updated.

Chromaryu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
No problem. Take your time. Remember, the second worse to no message [about the who, what, where, why, and how] is a badly written one. Put in your current edit about something funny in why your post isn't ready yet followed with "Coming soon!™". When you post your finalized edit, you can bump it explaining you've updated.
I really don't want to do that; this project is DONE state, I'm just bad at writing

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah; bit out-detail... :v
I am like, editing constantly :(
Take your time. I can tell you are working hard and I didn't realize that there was a bit of a language barrier for you and I apologize if I seemed like I was rushing you.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
checked it out w/ Citra. not bad! (couldnt find my MicroSD Reader for my N3DS and didnt feel like booting up the XP Machine just to transfeer over MicroSD Management) it shows in your debug (Bottom) screen your initalizing Sound, (so i cant tell i fits to play the song along w/ it ) but unless its a bug w/ Citra, i couldnt hear anyting.

Chromaryu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
checked it out w/ Citra. not bad! (couldnt find my MicroSD Reader for my N3DS and didnt feel like booting up the XP Machine just to transfeer over MicroSD Management) it shows in your debug (Bottom) screen your initalizing Sound, (so i cant tell i fits to play the song along w/ it ) but unless its a bug w/ Citra, i couldnt hear anyting.

put dspfirm.cdc on sdmc emulation in Citra!
dspfirm.cdc will work with 0KB in Citra.

Reactions: Deleted User

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's a NicoNico app. It works like YouTube, except for videos hosted on NicoNico, a Japanese video sharing site. I think that's what I'm getting from this.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Since there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding what this is, I'll just put it plainly: it's literally Bad Apple! for the 3DS.

Why? Because every other system has it, that's why. It's also cool af.

What's the monorale thing @Chromaryu talks about? Well, the O3DS is too slow to decode H264/MPEG4 in real time, so we either had to use a different codec altogether, or limit the app to N3DS systems. We ended up doing the former, using the fact it's (almost) a B&W video and run-length encoding to switch a very simple state automaton: it fills X bytes with all-black, then Y bytes with all-white, rinse and repeat for every single frame in the video. It may seem like terrible compression (and it is, when compared to modern codecs like H264/VP9), but it's much better than raw framebuffer dumps - just for reference, the ~1.2GiB framebuffer dump gets encoded down to ~9 MiB, which can be further reduced to ~3MiB if a high compression ratio algorithm is used (LZMA, for example).
It's just an old idea and simple idea applied to a modern problem, and it can't be done if the video isn't monochrome (well, it can be done but it's not as efficient).

Overall, it's mostly an excersice in trading functionality, simplicity and speed.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those who are still lost in what Bad Apple!! is,

So what you guys have done was pushed the limits of the 3DS hardware and your combined skills in producing at first glance, a supposedly simple black and white silhouette Japanese music video of some sort that's quite popular judging its view counts, just to see if it could be done?

To the lay person who doesn't understand what the fuss is about badapple3ds, the subject of the video may not be your cup of tea. Yes, you may not like this music genre or know anything about the artist behind Bad Apple!!, Nomico, or know what the hell is going on with that apple or those people in that video.

However, the fact these two created probably the first full length music video (or any video) in .3dsx format is a technical feat that shouldn't be overlooked. I may not fully comprehend the technical implications of what this means in terms of a possible 3DS homebrew video player, but you guys pulled off something amazing. Congrats! :yay:

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
So what you guys have done was pushed the limits of the 3DS hardware[...]

I wouldn't call it exactly that - it lacks simple things like background buffering (my bad, got lazy). The 3DS is capable of so much more, it's kinda sad to see there's no further interest on it just as Citro3D and the pacman management for portlibs started to take off.

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Meh… possibly there's a group of people whom have been waiting for Bad Apple on their 3DS.
Interesting but still... meh.
At least you should put a video on the first thread of what Bad Apple is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious +1