Hacking [Release] 3DSafe: In-NAND PIN lock for 3DS

Ichigo1000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently yes. 3DSafe requires access to the SD card.

I don't have any firm plans for this. It is possible to do, but I don't really know why you would want to boot without an SD card so haven't bothered looking into it. If someone can give me a compelling reason why booting without SD is desirable then I'll consider it.

That's a good idea. I'll work on that.
Being able to boot without an sd means you are still fine if the 3ds sd slot fails for any reason. If this does happen, the 3ds is basically bricked.

Also, for people who take out their sd cards a lot, there are also times you can forget or lose it. If that does happen, you can still play physical cartridges.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Being able to boot without an sd means you are still fine if the 3ds sd slot fails for any reason. If this does happen, the 3ds is basically bricked.

Also, for people who take out their sd cards a lot, there are also times you can forget or lose it. If that does happen, you can still play physical cartridges.
Ok, SD slot failure is a good reason. I'll add it :)

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@Ichigo1000
I've experimented with booting an arm9loaderhax.bin payload from CTRNAND if the file is present there but not on the SD card, and it does work in that the payload boots. I tried it with a Luma payload to boot into CFW, but I wasn't able to boot; I got the Luma config screen (because it couldn't find the config on SD card), but when I tried to boot I got an error that it couldn't save the config.

What payload would you prefer for it to run? I can test it then.

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Ichigo1000
I've experimented with booting an arm9loaderhax.bin payload from CTRNAND if the file is present there but not on the SD card, and it does work in that the payload boots. I tried it with a Luma payload to boot into CFW, but I wasn't able to boot; I got the Luma config screen (because it couldn't find the config on SD card), but when I tried to boot I got an error that it couldn't save the config.

Try SaltFW, it doesn't depend of config or other files from SD.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Afaik, SaltFW is a sysnand only CFW.
Great, I'll test it now. Thanks.

Edit - WTF. I didn't mean emunand. I haven't used an emunand since A9LH :P I'm on updated sysnand.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hmm, weird. Luma at least booted when the payload was in CTRNAND, but SaltFW just goes to a black screen :huh:

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Great, I'll test it now. Thanks.

Edit - WTF. I didn't mean emunand. I haven't used an emunand since A9LH [emoji14] I'm on updated sysnand.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hmm, weird. Luma at least booted when the payload was in CTRNAND, but SaltFW just goes to a black screen :huh:
That's wierd, I guess we need a stripped down version of Luma or SaltFW.

Skyshadow101

The Sky Is The Limit!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mashers

I have an idea. Do you think that you can make so that if you have no arm9loaderhax.bin at boot, there can be an option to put a pin in to use the form of A9LH that boots without an sd? So it will act like there's no sd in the 3ds. So if the sd reader fails, the 3ds won't be a permabrick?

And can you add an FTP server option?

Maybe a auto-updater?

Please consider these, thanks!

Sent from my Browser on a New 3DS XL with A9LH

Last edited by Skyshadow101,

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@mashers

I have an idea. Do you think that you can make so that if you have no arm9loaderhax.bin at boot, there can be an option to put a pin in to use the form of A9LH that boots without an sd? So it will act like there's no sd in the 3ds. So if the sd reader fails, the 3ds won't be a permabrick?
See above - I'm adding the option to have a backup arm9loaderhax.bin payload in CTRNAND so it will boot without the SD card.

And can you add an FTP server option?

Maybe a auto-updater?
There is limited space available for the stage2 payload in NAND. An FTP server or auto-updater would almost certainly cause the payload to exceed this size limit, which would brick the device. This could be worked around by having separate A9LH payloads on the SD card for FTP or update functions and booting them using a boot manager, but I'm not really sure I see the benefit if I'm honest.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I finally got Luma to build in my Linux VM after having to compile a load of other commands and utilities first... Having successfully booted using a home-built Luma payload, I'm now going to work on adapting it to load/save the config from CTRNAND.
sounds great, I guess the final step would be having a simple way to toggle pin mode on and off without having to swap payloads as it would be nice just just leave it off unless I know I'm taking my 3DS out where it may be lost/stolen

Reactions: MadMageKefka

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
sounds great, I guess the final step would be having a simple way to toggle pin mode on and off without having to swap payloads as it would be nice just just leave it off unless I know I'm taking my 3DS out where it may be lost/stolen
Actually I hadn't thought of that but it's a brilliant idea. Who'd be easy enough to implement too. I'll add a toggle which cycles through always on, always off, and a timer which will re-enable the PIN after a delay.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Actually I hadn't thought of that but it's a brilliant idea. Who'd be easy enough to implement too. I'll add a toggle which cycles through always on, always off, and a timer which will re-enable the PIN after a delay.
yeah i was thinking it would probably be easy enough to just have a "config" file, if the file has 0 it skips the pin, and if its on 1 it asks for the pin i was also thinking it could have a counter or something like each reboot it just ticks down 1 until it hits 1 so the lock is reactivated, but yeah thats the last thing keeping me from using this a9lh build as it would probably be a bit annoying under normal use especially when your testing stuff an have to reboot a bunch of times

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah i was thinking it would probably be easy enough to just have a "config" file, if the file has 0 it skips the pin, and if its on 1 it asks for the pin i was also thinking it could have a counter or something like each reboot it just ticks down 1 until it hits 1 so the lock is reactivated, but yeah thats the last thing keeping me from using this a9lh build as it would probably be a bit annoying under normal use especially when your testing stuff an have to reboot a bunch of times
I hadn't thought of a countdown of reboots. I could have both options I suppose: "re-enable lock after x minutes/reboots" kind of thing.

Ichigo1000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Ichigo1000

Any simple cfw that has the essential protections will do, such as the firm protection etc. Does anyone know what aurora's fork use for the no sd boot?

Also, one more thing is, although this might be a dumb question considering all the payloads i've seen are black background with text only (and i assume there is a reason why), is it possible to set a custom background for the info screen too?

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Also, one more thing is, although this might be a dumb question considering all the payloads i've seen are black background with text only (and i assume there is a reason why), is it possible to set a custom background for the info screen too?
Do you mean the 'About' page in 3DSafe? If so, I deliberately left that as text only. I didn't want the page with the credits to be editable as I feel it important to ensure the devs whose work contributed to this are given credit; technically it's possible for the 3dsafe graphics to all be replaced by way of a theme pack, and I don't want the credits to be changed as part of that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My links could be wild life in nature or wild life in unnatural circumstances lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your links are the Ukraine Russia war
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biden signed a income contract just so you can keep sending me the mutated things that you do
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That just look right with food coloring liquid running down it
    +1
    Muhahahaha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Blue omelette
    +1
    Lol Ken will never eat an omelette again lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Actually ihops omlettes still hit haven't had one in forever
    The steak one is amazing
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn near $20 so fuck them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I second that, they are good. I always get the steak and add mushrooms to it also. But yea been awhile since had myself. I used to go there every morn for coffee and breakfast, meet with my work crew, but we all stop going, too expensive.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I'm scarred for life.
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    See you guys, I'll get lost for another month. Maybe the rest of the year.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See you tomorrow
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Peace. Take care, no more searching tonight. You gonna have nightmares.
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    See you tomorrow.
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    did she just vomit on the chat before leaving
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why are girls doing this nowadays? is this some weird way of showing dominance?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, I put her outside though, then cleaned it up.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ah yes the unique power of girls vomiting on you
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel:
    im gonna puke
    duskfall @ duskfall: :rofl2: +2