Hacking Region free gaming with correct colors next try

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It seems there are still games which don't work with correct colors when you play them with a Wii from the other region. SoftChip r79 is now logging if the language patch is working and if the video mode determined by the selected video mode is found inside the main.dol of the game.(only errors are logged, no error->no log entry) This video mode check is still expermental, but i'm optimistic that it works.

So now, if you can't play a game from the other region with SoftChip, it might be useful to check SoftChip's logfile. You still need to enable language patches manually for some games(for example japanese games).

-------------------------------------------------------

The latest version of my toy(R4) now allows you to force a video mode and to patch the main.dol to this video mode:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=122125

note:
- The toy doesn't log video errors like SoftChip r79 does
- only the 480i and 480p video modes are patched to each other
- only interlaced to interlaced and progressive to progressive is patched
- PAL 576p is missing because of missing code in libogc
- MPAL 480p might not te working because of missing code in libogc
- main.dol loading still implemented(load main.dol from disc -> if main.dol on sd card found, overwrite the main.dol in memory with the one from sd card -> apply language, 002 and video mode patches)

fiddlefaddle22

Trophies
XP
Country
Yessssss it works with pikmin, ive tried everything up to now to get this to work in 60hz rgb and it works a treat.I'm going to test it on the others that didn't work previously. thankyou.I ran the tests again for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time with test1b and test2b and the results were the same

fiddlefaddle22

Trophies
XP
Country
I tested it on 4 other games that previously didnt work in 50 or 60hz RGB and none of them work,Loz twilight princess usa,Wii music Jap,Biohazard 0 jap,Game party 2 usa, but all the games that previously i had to patch the main dol using R3 now work by selecting force pal 480i in R4, and 2 games Pikmin and Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3that wouldn't work in forced 50 or 60 RGB PAL even if i patched them in GWP work 60hz RGB now in R4.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
fiddlefaddle22 said:
Yessssss it works with pikmin, ive tried everything up to now to get this to work in 60hz rgb and it works a treat.I'm going to test it on the others that didn't work previously. thankyou.I ran the tests again for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time with test1b and test2b and the results were the same

That's good news. I have some questions:
1. Do you need to force the language in pikmin?
2. What do test1b and test2b write into the log, do you see there "Error: Did not patch the language, pattern not found"? If yes, which test returned this?

QUOTE(fiddlefaddle22 @ Jan 30 2009, 01:10 PM) I tested it on 4 other games that previously didnt work in 50 or 60hz RGB and none of them work,Loz twilight princess usa,Wii music Jap,Biohazard 0 jap,Game party 2 usa, but all the games that previously i had to patch the main dol using R3 now work by selecting force pal 480i in R4, and 2 games Pikmin and Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3that wouldn't work in forced 50 or 60 RGB PAL even if i patched them in GWP work 60hz RGB now in R4.

3. What does the normal SoftChip(test1b) write into the log for the not working games?
4. Could you give me a list with the games which do not work now, seperated into "doesn't work at all" and "only works in red&black(black&white)"?

I hope you don't mind if i "use" you as my private tester, but it i don't have any NTSC games, so i need help from others to improve SoftChip and my toy.

fiddlefaddle22

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't mind at all helping you as it's for my benefit as well as others if you get more games working in 60hz rgb.Pikmin Wii only works in these settings and i get a black screen if i use default or english for the games language.I'll try and do the other things you asked me to do and i'll let you know when i can.
20090130-170559.jpg

nqd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I changed the force video mode to PAL 480i for Chicken Shoot and I still receive black and white pictures. About press (-), I don't see any option that allow me to do that to change the main dol for the R4 version. Can anyone please explain?

fiddlefaddle22

Trophies
XP
Country
nqd said:
I changed the force video mode to PAL 480i for Chicken Shoot and I still receive black and white pictures. About press (-), I don't see any option that allow me to do that to change the main dol for the R4 version. Can anyone please explain?
Use R4 again and select force video mode to ntsc 480i.

bugaveli

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this toy wont fix games that go to green screnn when forcing, ive mentioned this a million times, if u get green screen you are screwed. get your region and check the compatibility list for pal to ntsc forced. I wish this toy would fix crash of the titans pal to ntsc but it just wont

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
nqd said:

Thank you. R5 has the dumping function integrated now.

fiddlefaddle22

Trophies
XP
Country
nqd said:
I tried that and I got green screen. Btw, my copy is PAL version. Any idea?
I assume you are using a us wii? if you are try, games language system default,set video mode using system default and forcing video to ntsc 480i.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
bugaveli said:
this toy wont fix games that go to green screnn when forcing, ive mentioned this a million times, if u get green screen you are screwed. get your region and check the compatibility list for pal to ntsc forced. I wish this toy would fix crash of the titans pal to ntsc but it just wont

?
R4 isn't old enough for you to post million times about it. My toy(R4+) forces AND patches the video mode.

QUOTE(nqd @ Jan 31 2009, 06:02 PM) I tried that and I got green screen. Btw, my copy is PAL version. Any idea?

Could you provide more (a lot of) information?

Please dump the main.dol, open it in the generic wii patcher and note ALL video modes down which it lists, if you select "Advanced". Please note them in the order they are listed and please don't remove duplicates.
And then patch all video modes to something else(MPAL progressive for example), and save the .wip file. It's automatically stored in the same folder as the main.dol.
And then copy the whole contents of the .wip file (it's a text file) and the information about the video modes and post it here. If you do this, i might be able to figure out why the patching doesn't work and maybe i'm able to fix it.

Note that the generic wii patcher patches in a different way when you patch manually and when you patch PAL->NTSC or NTSC->PAL

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
bugaveli said:

Then you use the wrong settings and i wouldn´t use a already patched game
wink.gif

Anyway thank you WiiPower
wink.gif

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
nIxx said:
bugaveli said:

Then you use the wrong settings and i wouldn´t use a already patched game
wink.gif

Anyway thank you WiiPower
wink.gif

Holy c... i didn't see you used a c... patch for your game. Seriously, what's the use for patching a game from one region to the other without patching the video and/or the language? The playablitliy with a loader is the same after this. And you might get weird issues with savegames, because i don't know how this patching is done and if this patches the GameID.

fiddlefaddle22

Trophies
XP
Country
Wiipower, you asked me, "What does the normal SoftChip(test1b) write into the log for the not working games?" i'm not sure if this helps as all that is in the default log for Biohazard 0 is this
[31/00 16:55:44] ---------------------
[31/00 16:55:44] Loading Disc...
[31/00 16:55:51] Disc ID: RBHJ
[31/00 16:55:51] Disc Title: biohazard0
[31/00 16:55:52] IOS requested by the game: 33
[31/00 17:03:12] ---------------------
[31/00 17:03:12] Loading Disc...
[31/00 17:03:19] Disc ID: RBHJ
[31/00 17:03:19] Disc Title: biohazard0
[31/00 17:03:20] IOS requested by the game: 33
[31/00 17:04:10] ---------------------
[31/00 17:04:10] Loading Disc...
[31/00 17:04:17] Disc ID: RBHJ
[31/00 17:04:17] Disc Title: biohazard0
[31/00 17:04:18] IOS requested by the game: 33

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
fiddlefaddle22 said:
Wiipower, you asked me, "What does the normal SoftChip(test1b) write into the log for the not working games?" i'm not sure if this helps as all that is in the default log for Biohazard 0 is this

If the 3 attemts were, default language, force english and force japanese, it actually patches the language and it finds the video mode. Is anybody with a not japanese Wii reporting that the game works? Does it work in Gamma with force japanese and force NTSC?

About the video modes, are the PAL video modes listed in the generic wii patcher for this?

About the language, SoftChip patches the language only once, there's a ~10% chance it needs to be patched several times for this game.

And what is actually the issue with the game? Does the Wii display an error, retart or freeze?

fiddlefaddle22

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
fiddlefaddle22 said:

If the 3 attemts were, default language, force english and force japanese, it actually patches the language and it finds the video mode. Is anybody with a not japanese Wii reporting that the game works? Does it work in Gamma with force japanese and force NTSC?

About the video modes, are the PAL video modes listed in the generic wii patcher for this?

About the language, SoftChip patches the language only once, there's a ~10% chance it needs to be patched several times for this game.

And what is actually the issue with the game? Does the Wii display an error, retart or freeze?

Ive tested the game in gamma and it works ok but with red and black colours when i dont force anything and if i try to force 50 or 60 pal i get a green screen,the home menu and all ingame text displays correctly.I'm sure that the game is unpatched and i extracted the main dol video modes
PAL (progressive)
PAL (progressive)
PAL (progressive)
NTSC (interlaced)/NTSC 480I
NTSC (interlaced)/NTSC 480I
NTSC (progressive)/NTSC 480P
MPAL (interlaced)
PAL (interlaced)/PAL 576I
PAL60 (interlaced)/PAL 480I

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Then there's something to fix in SoftChip, do you need to force the language in Gamma? If yes language patch needs to be changed, if no, something else is wrong.

fiddlefaddle22

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
Then there's something to fix in SoftChip, do you need to force the language in Gamma? If yes language patch needs to be changed, if no, something else is wrong.
Any language seems to work, i tried default,japanese and english

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm preparing some new tests now. It take it as fact that the game contains the PAL video mode, doesn't need the language patch at all and works in Gamma but not in SoftChip. With this information i'm hopefully able to fix it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    He just means that some conversations are light and funny, Madonna having sex with a dog? Hilarious! Your uncle beating your dog then making you watch him molest it? Kinda ehhhh drama lol
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, why do people hate seasons 20 and 23 of south park?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't know. People hate and down vote everything nowdays. I see it especially on gamestores, like every game has a negative rating, even though they are good games.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    With south park, they speak the truth, whether people like it or not, then peeps get they're panties in a bunch.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    See ya later fr
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Later gator
    +2
  • G @ GamerGatorDoesTech:
    @BigOnYa i thought that was like a specific comment towards me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol
  • ModernSithLord @ ModernSithLord:
    lol later gator that was good one @BigOnYa
    +1
  • Shgofc @ Shgofc:
    if i think i exist, then, i dont exi...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They started hating later seasons because it turned into half seasons and specials
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People in youtube comments are such dick riders "oh I can't believe he said that to you" clicks on other video "wow this is amazing."
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Everyone is triggered nowadays too easy, bunch of pansies.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    1st video- That's why I hate ordering stuff online, if I can just go pick it up myself nearby. Wal-Mart online did that to me years ago, sent wrong item, I went to Wal-Mart by me to return, but noo, I had to mail it back and wait.
    99% of the time ordering online I have had flawless experiences, only time something was messed up, I ordered a big TV from Amazon and it came smashed the box was literally like some one jumped up and down on it, didn't even open it, contacted Amazon sent them pictures, they made me open it and take more pictures, free label to return it and they sent another. So it was relatively painless. But still annoying.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did it just because I don't like you
    Ken you Amazonian Maniac lol
    Cool band name lol
    Their hit song Deliver Us from good, was a banger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Imagine what I'd do if I did like you
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/t1zTwu2R2Ys?si=BqY1TtbKs14wi7z4