Homebrew Region Changing without 4.x sysNAND?

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're referring to the 2DS, all I did was inject the donor SecureInfo_A for the same region (or at least it was supposed to be the one for the same region. I wonder if I messed up in the filenames or something.) The update part was when I ran recovery I let it do an update hoping that would fix the brick. I did the actual injection from within rxTools' menu (no patching in place yet at that point in time.) The recovery was done without either GW or rxTools as the system does recovery mode before anything like even MenuHax can execute.

As far as title deletion goes, I didn't run it in Gateway unless my memory is just totally shot. I ran FBI from rxTools. I did run it as the CIA too, so it got maximum permissions. It shouldn't matter for deletion though surely.

Last edited by Nazosan,

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am about to start trying this exact same thing (region change emunand from 9.2J to 9.5U). The only thing I really have a question about now is the donor SecureInfo_A. I have a nand backup from a O3DS that is no longer functional. Can I extract the SecureInfo_A from that backup without having the xorpads?

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you need the xorpads for the decryption. rxTools was able to bypass that by encrypting or decrypting on the fly using the system itself.

Actually, I don't know if it would work, but you MIGHT be able to try using rxTools to extract from that emuNAND. It might fail horribly though. Make sure you backup your current emuNAND's SecureInfo (in fact, it may be a good idea to backup the whole emuNAND entirely) before you attempt to inject that one into it in case it's not properly decrypted or whatever. I kind of suspect it must run on the system the donor is to come from.

Last edited by Nazosan,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I am about to start trying this exact same thing (region change emunand from 9.2J to 9.5U). The only thing I really have a question about now is the donor SecureInfo_A. I have a nand backup from a O3DS that is no longer functional. Can I extract the SecureInfo_A from that backup without having the xorpads?
no if you don't have the xorpads to decrypt the nand dump and you can't turn on and use the 3ds, then you can't get the file you want sorry

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no if you don't have the xorpads to decrypt the nand dump and you can't turn on and use the 3ds, then you can't get the file you want sorry

The console no longer boots. It was a failed hardmod. I guess I could use one downloaded from "the site" but that has a ban risk.

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you don't do... Uhm, whatever I did on that 2DS. I'm still wondering if that one was a perfectly valid SecureInfo, but I may never know I guess.

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hah, I mean make sure you get the right file in the right way. The one I got from that certain site probably wasn't right.

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the one I found was in the thread with the system firmwares -- in the same folder with them on the site they were hosted on. No promises it's any good, but it's also possible I just screwed up.

EDIT: BTW, that site has archives (which are extreme low bandwidth zero formatting plain text and no images or anything.) I'm not sure how you get to them, but Google knows apparently.

Last edited by Nazosan,

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a little stuck with the SecureInfo_A injection.

I went to inject it into rw/sys but that folder had SecureInfo_B and not A. Do I just leave both of them in there or do I delete B? What is the difference between the two? The file size is exactly the same.

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know about that. Wouldn't it be easier to use rxTools? I can testify that that method itself works as I successfully swapped my Japanese N3DS, I just didn't successfully inject the public SecureInfo.

Bit of an oddity btw. I just noticed that my emuNAND is reporting a version of 9.2 even though I used the 9.5 files. I used the update from ROM method so I could be sure it's a pretty clean update this time and it informed me about the theme shuffle feature which I'm pretty sure indeed wasn't there before. I don't know if that means the update wasn't 100% right or if (probably more likely) that means the 9.5 N3DS files on "that site" aren't actually quite correct... Perhaps the deleted titles based on that Python script causing an emuNAND brick might just be because of that then. Anyway, now it says 9.5 in the settings as it should. Hopefully this means less stuff will require spoofing at the least. (Has any game ever failed to work once spoofed? In theory an update could add some new feature or function that a game could use, right?) Maybe I'll try deleting again later. Maybe... (It's a LOT of work!)

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll give rxtools a shot. Winhex is giving me a hard time so I am stuck on the last step of the tutorial.

So, update to 9.5U with sysupdate, inject SecureInfo_A with rxtools and that's it? I didn't make a backup of my emunand before upgrading so if I don't have to format it again that would be great.

Can unlink nands by formating emunand instead of sysnand? It's a new system so I have nothing to lose but I won't have wifi again for a few days to setup menuhax again.

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, run rxTools, dump the SecureInfo from the donor, copy that file over to the rxTools folder on that system, and then inject from there. That's it. That part of the process took me about a minute total. I believe that formatting the emuNAND will indeed unlink and you need to format it anyway after the process (at least the tutorial claims this removes some junk. *Shrugs*)

BTW, it seems I also have the problem where this region swap results in the inability to rename folders. If I try to rename a folder I get the black screen that tells me to power off the system. Also, it seems I can't run the Mii Maker or Mii Plaza. They crash back to the home menu and make the system reset. It's very upsetting not to be able to name my folders and will be a serious problem for me actually, but, as stupid as the whole Mii thing is, I kind of like streetpassing (plus it's kind of fun streetpassing with it showing me playing a game that people in my country normally couldn't even run.) Is there any way to fix this? I really do want those to work -- plus it's indicative of a more serous problem that could crop up later in something else. EDIT: Nevermind, I found the part where someone says what to do. I'll give it a look.

Last edited by Nazosan,

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I saw that. I'm having troubles with UpdateCDN though. I think it's because it's trying to download older firmware files which, to my understanding, Nintendo has taken down. I'm probably going to have to figure out how to do this using the file sets I was able to acquire from that site, which takes a bit of adapting. Plus if I don't want to completely start over on my emuNAND (ugh, what a pain, but I might have to) I have the problem that it's already switched and updated to 9.5 which means a bit more mess along the way to clean this up. Yay.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I got a little stuck with the SecureInfo_A injection.

I went to inject it into rw/sys but that folder had SecureInfo_B and not A. Do I just leave both of them in there or do I delete B? What is the difference between the two? The file size is exactly the same.
if you have b, just rename the a you will inject to b.
i saw it before. weird, I don't know why.
maybe a refurbished console, I don't think so though

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I keep running into a pretty annoying problem. Everything tells you to use BigBlueMenu to install all titles from the folder and that it will skip existing titles. Every single time I do this it gets maybe 1/3rd of the way through the list, then fails to install one package and at that point refuses to continue no matter what. I'm wondering if perhaps I just have the wrong system files, but 3DNUS isn't working. I always get zero downloaded files and this text:
D:\3DS\Tools\UpdateCDN>UpdateCDN.py -USA -nosort 9.0.0-20U.csv
Γòª ΓòªΓöîΓöÇΓöÉΓöîΓö¼ΓöÉΓöîΓöÇΓöÉΓöîΓö¼ΓöÉΓöîΓöÇΓöÉΓòöΓòÉΓòùΓòöΓòªΓòùΓòöΓòùΓòö
Γòæ ΓòæΓö£ΓöÇΓöÿ ΓöéΓöéΓö£ΓöÇΓöñ Γöé Γö£Γöñ Γòæ ΓòæΓòæΓòæΓòæΓòæ
ΓòÜΓòÉΓò¥Γö┤ ΓöÇΓö┤ΓöÿΓö┤ Γö┤ Γö┤ ΓööΓöÇΓöÿΓòÜΓòÉΓò¥ΓòÉΓò⌐Γò¥Γò¥ΓòÜΓò¥

UpdateCDN

***** DON'T WORRY about this message: "[!] Caution, Ticket and TMD Title Version
s do not match"

Loaded CSV, now processing...

Downloading 2 title content(s), please wait...
Finished! (If nothing happened/downloaded, check the region you specified exists
in the csv you used.)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\3DS\Tools\UpdateCDN\UpdateCDN.py", line 146, in <module>
response = urllib2.urlopen(baseurl + '/' + cID)
File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib2.py", line 154, in urlopen
return opener.open(url, data, timeout)
File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib2.py", line 437, in open
response = meth(req, response)
File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib2.py", line 550, in http_response
'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)
File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib2.py", line 475, in error
return self._call_chain(*args)
File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib2.py", line 409, in _call_chain
result = func(*args)
File "C:\Python27\lib\urllib2.py", line 558, in http_error_default
raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)
urllib2.HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
As I said, I've read before that Nintendo removed the older update files, so I presume that's what is going on here?

Is there any way I can verify the system files I got from that site? A list of MD5 sums from different system versions or something maybe? I'm wondering if I have something going on here like going from 9.1J to 9.0U or something screwy like that.

Guess I'll keep at it. But what a mess...

EDIT: Whew. Third time is the charm I think. I followed that guide -- including the part about excluding those certain CIAs (which still worries me, but all appears to be working well now) and now somehow have the proper home menu where I can name folders (though I didn't delete or mess with the home menu?) No matter what any guide says though, I can't get anything to install as a batch with those CIAs. Instead I just used sysUpdater which is specifically designed for batch processing. Then after it rebooted I injected the SecureInfo via rxTools and from there everything went smoothly. Time to update to 9.5 with a US region game while crossing my fingers. I'm going to go through the title list and try to delete Japanese titles later on. With another emuNAND backup that is... No one gives any easy way to do this. I had to look the titles up on 3DBrew and go through the list looking for those IDs in FBI (Big Red Menu doesn't seem to show full IDs and seems downright dangerous to the point of unusability.) Confusing.

EDIT2: That did it! I got rid of the duplicate camera, eshop, mset, and etc and now everything seems perfect. I can rename folders and I've updated via a game to 9.5 in the emuNAND (and can still do stuff like renaming.) WHEW! (Oh, and Mii Maker and Mii Plaza work fine. I really did kind of want to be able to streetpass Miis. I know it's silly, but I enjoy it.)

Last edited by Nazosan,

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm downloading all of the 9.2U files now. It should be done in about an hour with my slow internet.

Can you send me the title ID's for the system apps you deleted? It would help a lot. I think I will probably update to 9.4 for now since that's what code name steam has. If I'm feeling frisky I might try updating to 9.5 with sysupdater later.

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the page I got the IDs from: https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Title_list#00040010_-_System_Applications The Japanese IDs are in the leftmost column.
Basically these are under the CTR-XXXX titles for stuff like the Mii Maker, settings, AR games, etc etc. Basically anything that would duplicate and be in the way. I think the fact that they have titles like CTR-xxxx is indicative of the fact that these are applications which actually can show up in the interface rather that key internal system software (like those things with basically no title at all or xxxbuilder titles.) I deleted those before installing the CIAs to be sure. I didn't touch the home menu (the problem there is I'm pretty sure if you delete that title the system basically bricks right then and there since AM freaks out and you can no longer exit and load something else. I guess.) Note that this time around I left out all those titles that were in that post you linked to and I suspect that was the biggest key to all this. I have no idea why doing this makes it switch to the US home menu since that isn't deleted, but, eh, I can rename folders without a crash, run Mii Maker and Mii Plaza, and have no problems with duplicate stuff like settings/etc. Hopefully this means no problems will crop up later down the road, but at least now I have a working emuNAND (which I have promptly backed up!) to fall back on if all else goes horribly wrong.

Last edited by Nazosan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they don't really taste like cotton candy but i guess they don't need to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So negative
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    hello everyone
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BakerMan what systems do you have
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    what are your favorite games
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    what are you currently playing?
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    Just started God of War 2 on the PS2
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    why we saying hello again for?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Mondooooo, cuz you both werent here
    +1
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    oh btw, did you know that the teenage mutant ninja turtles is having an r rated live action movie?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I did not know that
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but it would make sense
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    just look it up
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    from the perspective that the original audience that saw it as kids are now grown adults
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I heard the original comic books were as dark as that
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    it's called the last ronin
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    while that was a kid-friendly endeavor, this new take will adapt the story Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Last Ronin. The outlet notes that this new iteration is being written by “Tyler Burton Smith, who co-wrote the upcoming R-rated action movie Boy Kills World and who wrote the 2019 iteration of Chucky horror franchise Child’s Play.”
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    The film, titled ‘The Last Ronin,’ will be targeted at adults and promises a high-body count tale
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I grew up with the 2012 show
  • Mondooooo @ Mondooooo:
    so yeah, they're will be lots of kills
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    so kinda like how they went r rated in the Loan movie for wolverine
    S @ salazarcosplay: so kinda like how they went r rated in the Loan movie for wolverine