• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Reddit blackout

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guys, please tell me this is fake news

I'm very aware of the situation with reddit and its ceo vs subreddit people/staff
But this news is...
If what is said there is true, then the ceo literally tells people "fuck you, i do what i want"
I mean, he says he won't negotiate, people have the right to protest, but if you do, you are out. He's also teasing them in a way when he said that it won't last indefinitly.

That is what i call a piece of shit...

• Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ and Xzi

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You guys use pther apps to use Reddit?
you-guys.gif

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't use any "other app" to use Reddit. And Reddit is asking to get a payment for using their resources by the other apps. They own the environment and the servers, if the devs from those apps want access to those resources they must pay. Period.

Devs argue they won't be able to pay the amount being requested, but they're still using them. If they want to keep sucking resources they should consider another way of action. A blackout is not the solution, because is not and never will suffice everyone's needs.

A blackout for me, just means I will search for another option (which might try to take advantage of the blackout to "steal" users from Reddit) instead of trying to stick with the ones already available.

On the other hand, Reddit's monetary claims are legal in a Capitalist system. So take it or leave it. This situation might mean that Reddit will reduce its user base seeking for another options, but also that will have to negotiate its requirements soon or later.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't use any "other app" to use Reddit. And Reddit is asking to get a payment for using their resources by the other apps. They own the environment and the servers, if the devs from those apps want access to those resources they must pay. Period.

Devs argue they won't be able to pay the amount being requested, but they're still using them. If they want to keep sucking resources they should consider another way of action. A blackout is not the solution, because is not and never will suffice everyone's needs.

A blackout for me, just means I will search for another option (which might try to take advantage of the blackout to "steal" users from Reddit) instead of trying to stick with the ones already available.

On the other hand, Reddit's monetary claims are legal in a Capitalist system. So take it or leave it. This situation might mean that Reddit will reduce its user base seeking for another options, but also that will have to negotiate its requirements soon or later.
Except Reddit's arguments are so fucking dumb it's silly. It's not the third party apps that kills reddit. It's they can't find a suitable market to earn money.

Like someone that took some data about Google downloads of the apps:
1687037188654.png

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Doesn't this mean Reddit endorse piracy? :blink:
Tbh, i never cared about piracy on reddit.
If i want a rom, i know where to get it
If i need help for emulation, i come here on the temp

I use reddit for one thing only :tpi:

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
the piracy sub tried to go blackout again so they replaced the mod and forced them to re-open. the whole argument and tantrums are basically over a stupid fucking API :lol:
Free API calls are what allow moderators to deploy bots to enforce rules. Without those, the site will be overrun by spam, ads, and AI chat bots. It's not realistic to expect manual moderation of subreddits which can have millions of users.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Doesn't this mean Reddit endorse piracy? :blink:
Frankly, there are plenty of piracy subreddits, and since then they haven't taken them down. I used to use Reddit to find ROMS, then I'm sure you'll know the rest. ;)

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just an echo chamber that I try to stay away from. I once left a comment like 5 years ago on their /r/pics board, I don't remember what it was, but it was a disagreement with some protest, and they banned me from commenting. I didn't break any rules, I just disagreed, lol. I think it was the pussy hat protest.

After that, I just used it for help for fixing thing, when I cannot find anything on Youtube, and post on their /r/historywhatif board. If Reddit died tomorrow, mehh, w/e.

Reactions: Mike_77712

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...