Gaming Recommended Graphics Cards?

saison

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My highest budget will probably be roughly $100, but I'm wondering if I could get cards that are worth less, but are just as good as these expensive ones?

saison

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So would GeForce be a recommended graphics card? And typically when a graphic's card series raises, does that mean it is stronger or it's further outdated? My main goal is to get a graphics card powerful enough to run Skyrim (surprise, surprise haha).

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm wondering if I could get cards that are worth less, but are just as good as these expensive ones?
If the world was working that way, there would be no point into making those high priced card.
If you mean some of those card that are sold at a discounted price because a newer series came out, then your out of luck since that situation didn't happen since mid 2010 and probably won't happen before spring or summer next year.

If you would like us to recommend a gpu, you should give us some information about your computer, mainly you power supply's power rating.
also giving info about the game you would like to play and your performance expectation, display resolution might help.

would GeForce be a recommended graphics card
Geforce is just a GPU brand, some are capable and some are aren't that much. Nvidia produce a lot of different gpu ranging from the puny 420 to the mighty 590. Also they just produce the gpu itself, the whole video card are built and sold by different company like asus, gigabyte, xfx, etc.

when a graphic's card series raises, does that mean it is stronger or it's further outdated?
no, for example 400 to 500 (nvidia) and 5000 to 6000 (amd), the jump was just an upgrade to the design, it didn't bring a lot of extra performance (except for the top cards), but mostly lowered power consumption and heat.

also, when they change series the performance raises compared to the ancient card from the same market segment the newer one is aimed.
ex: a low-end gen N card is less powerful than a low-end card from gen N+1 that was made to replace it, but a mid range gen N card will still be more powerful than a low-end gen N+1.

anyway, get a look at this article: (Best Graphics Cards For The Money: November 2011)
http://www.tomshardw...force,3067.html
the last page might help you understand what i explained in the last paragraph

saison

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that's the thread I have open right now, haha. As for my specs... I'll take the list from my DX diagnosis.

Dell-Inspiron 1525
Bios: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS version 1.10
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3gb RAM
DirectX 11

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Laptop doesn't have upgradable graphics, you're stuck with an intel X3100 until you change of computer.

There is a youtube video of skyrim played on a gma 4500 (similar performance)

the poster says that his fps are hanging between 10 and 45

saison

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worst news of the night... -__- But thanks for telling me before I spent it on a graphics card I can't use. And you're saying that performance is similar to what I'd be having? Which I'd doubt, because Morrowind refused to run at full speed during any situation. Mainly terrible framerate during the rain.
EDIT: I downloaded the driver that is for my chipset Intel(R) 965, but it says that it isn't configured for my computer when I try :l

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The one thing I hate about laptops? Lack of upgradeability. :/ Spend wisely! For you may never know if you need to have something better. I've learned the hard way that desktops are better than laptops. Not saying anything.. Best of luck to you friend!

D

Deleted User

Very, very few laptops have upgradable, socketed graphics. Some of these machines include select Asus and MSI machines as well as laptops manufactured by Sager/Clevo. The general argument you'll run into on GBAtemp is that it's better to spend the ~$1500.00 necessary to purchase one of these machines on a desktop because it will last you 2-3 years, (very true). On the other hand, upgrading machines of this caliber is often extremely expensive and with very little benefit unless the machine was already running a base/entry level GPU.

iSubaru

Kitsune
Trophies
Website
clash-of-gods.netau.net
XP
Country
Poland
Laptop doesn't have upgradable graphics, you're stuck with an intel X3100 until you change of computer.
Intel Graphics...

If You plan new laptop I would recommend from myself AMD based CPU and graphics
If You plan new PC...same recommendations xD
Not sure what are the prices for graphic cards per dollars there but I believe You would be able to get one of those in about 100$:
- AMD Radeon HD 6770
- AMD Radeon HD 5870

If You would have somewhere keyboard, mouse, monitor...then it would be possible to put on nice PC up to...hmm...400$? Depends on prices at Your place, based on current currency of dollar, at my place 400$ would be more then enough
(just the HDD would be problematic because of recent catastrophy the prices went out of control)

saison

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to purchasing a new computer, definitely not at the top of my list at the moment. But thanks to all that are assisting me with what to pick out in a new computer, haha. Right now I just want assistance with this Intel Graphics Driver on TeknoGods, if anyone uses it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast