Recommended games to play before you die...

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Taleweaver

Ok, so you want reasons to consider those games "must play"... I have to tell you, too much of a PITA to write that as this post shows.

Atari2600 - Pitfall
At the time this game was released it represented a revolution considering its scale compared to games of the time.
This game presented a big world composed of several different screens with many challanges, it allowed backtracking and it actually was a defining game for the Atari 2600 console. This game has been very influential on the industry.

C64 - The Last Ninja
This is one of the most well known games for the C64, and it is a great piece that would convey in great part the feeling of C64 gaming, so if you care to understand C64 gaming with just one game, you must play this.

PC/Old -
Castlemaster?
A very good example of an early 3D game with open exploration and non-linear gameplay. Must you play it?

Stunts?
A great example of a highly customizable early 3D racing game, with an awesome integrated level editor. Creating your own tracks and playing them back was the greatest part of the experience on this game. Must you play it_

Prince of Persia?
A defining game for its era. Again, should be played if you care to get the feeling or idea of gaming in the late 80s.

Monkey Island?
This game refined the adventure genre to the highest standards. It hit the top. Afterwards games become a little more refines, but the template was kept. As a genre defining game, this must be played.

NES -
Battletoads:
Have your heard of the NES hard term? Well, this one was NES hard in the good sense. The game pushes the hardware and presents very good gameplay with the so much loved concept of breakable weapons™ (sure Mr. Bombadildo would love that aspect) and multiple greatly animated moves. The beat em up that must be played on the NES.

SMB3:
SMB was no doubt a very influential game, and SMB3 is the game refined to the maximum level the hardware could allow it. If you are to play only one SMB, this should be the one.

Megaman 2:
I got bored of writing this shit, but this is the Megaman to play, the game is great but I am lazy to comment about it, I will just say that listening to Willy's castle theme song alone grants the... mustability? of playing this game.

Ninja Gaiden:
The cinematics. Also the NES hard. But mostly the cinematics.

SNES -
Final Fantasy 6:
Know about a series called Final Fantasy? Have your heard that myth that tells it was a good series? Well, play this one to understand it was not a myth. If one game in the series must be played it is this one. It is a classic JRPG with a big cast of characters, beautiful art design and great music. Also Celes best girl, and Locke is the bro, Terra should die a forgetful death. Oh hell, I got so lazy that I am not willing to write anymore real reasons to consider it a must play, so just trust me.

Chrono Trigger:
Trust me. Also the elevation of Yasunori Mitsuda from mere peasant to god.

Super Metroid:
Trust me. Genre defining.

SMW:
Trust me. Console defining.

ALTTP:
Trust me. Big step up on a series in terms of story and scale.

N64 -
SSB:
Trust me. Kickstarting a successful franchise. Genre defining. Lots of fun.

Mario 64:
Trust me. Big step up on the gameplay aspect of the franchise. Genre defining and highly influential. Sets up the standards for 3D platforming games.

OOT:
Trust me. Big step up on the gameplay aspect of the franchise and adaptation into 3D gameplay.

GENESIS
Comix Zone:
Trust me.

Sonic 2:
Trust me. When considering the original Sonic gameplay, this game is the best one of the era as a whole experience.

Phantasy Star 2 and 4:
Trust me, I am too lazy.

PC-Engine
Castlevania Rondo of Blood:
Classic castlevania gameplay, with refined graphics and story, and OMG that music score.
Also sets the stage up for the next one on the list.

PS1
Castlevania SOTN:
Trust me. Genre defining game.

Metal Gear Solid:
Yet another genre defining game.

Wild Arms:
Well, this one probably I just like it (again that music score), so you must play it. /s

Deception3:
A very different type of gameplay. You must play it for the same reasons as the previous game.

PS2 -
SMT Persona 3 & 4:
Trust me when I say I got tired of writing shit.

MGS3:
Blergh

Odinsphere:
Blargh

PS360
Mass Effect 1/2/3:
Blaaargh

Skyrim:
Woof, woof.

GC
Path of Radiance:
Oh, the stroke...

Metroid Prime:
...it was hard...

Wii
Xenoblade Chronicles:
...I think I am starting to recover... oh, this music score, this is great, yeah it is soothing, great to heal from this headache...

Nintendo DS -
Soma Bringer:
...oh, yes, some more music from Yasunori Mitsuda, I think I am starting to feel better...

Trauma Center:
...it is great I got into the OP room fast enough, and those magical super surgeons sure did a good job...

EBA:
...I am feeling so well now I may start dancing, yes, dancing is solving my problems...

3DS -
Project Mirai DX:
...dancing more and more, and singing now, I feel like an idol!

I hope this explanation made it clear why all of those games are must plays. /s

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: Taleweaver

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

:rofl2:

Okay...I probably haven't made myself clear enough. It's not that these games mentioned aren't great...it's that I doubt they'll fall well with the "everyone" group. Take stunts...I actually not only know this game but have A LOT of great childhood memories on this one (my brother, best friend and me would just create all these insane tracks that we'd challenge each other to finish), and for its time it's an absolute gem (I think it was five or ten years before trackmania started with a 'build your own track' race game). However, if I were to show it to someone who's new to games I would probably get the same sad "can I go now?"-look as someone new to movies would be when I show him/her masterpieces like seven samurai or citizen kane: it takes an aficionado, a connaisseur a fan of the genre to realize its greatness.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn4vARy44iY