Am0s

Mojo Risin
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
no some of the episodes I have watched from these anime series people have recommended are awesome and are really good to watch for me and my wife, naruto will stop someday

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Am0s said:
(...)
question
I see on wiki for these shows if not all of them there is a manga and an anime versions, for instance full metal alchemist, and full metal alchemist brotherhood (manga), are these seperate animations totally, as sometimes its proving very hard to find some of these series as I dont want the anime and manga all mixed up together if you know what I mean.

on the wiki anime and manga just confuses me can someone just clarify for me please

I am aware that wiki is'nt always accurate 100%

This I can answer: for FMA (Fullmetal Alchemist) there are two animations: Fullmetal Alchemist (the one i recommended) that were made while the manga was still halfway and Fullmetal Alchemist "Brotherhood", the new animation that has nothing to do with the first one. The latter one follows the manga storyline a lot more.

I mentioned Negima!? (the !? makes a difference). This is also an anime that has two versions: this one only uses the same characters from the manga, but changes a lot from the storyline, and there is the Negima! that follows a little the manga, but split at some point because the manga is still being published.

There are a lot of series with different animes (El Hazard has 3, Tenchi Muyo has 4 or 5, Fullmetal Panic has 3....) and most of'em are not connected.
Most anime series that are based on mangas tend not to strictly follow the storyline if the manga is not yet finished or near the end. They are being used lately as, hmmm, "baits" to the manga >-p

Am0s

Mojo Risin
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
wanderone said:
PharaohsVizier said:
Check your local library, I was shocked to see that my local library had several copies. I bought the first book because it popped up in my related items in Amazon and it was so ridiculously highly recommended, and I can see why. Definitely give it a go, great books!

And I might check out the anime series, looks interesting enough.
smile.gif

grog.gif
bow.gif
grog.gif

Awesome!! My library has it! Gonna grab it! THX again for the nfo! Hopefully they'll be as good
as the anime was at least.

Not sure how the anime will seem to you having read the book, but you might end up liking the music at least. Alot of people do.

I'm like 10 episodes in now for Twelve Kingdoms, it's pretty good. From the short sort of synopsis, I've always figured they just redid the first book and stopped it there, but I see that they've sort of incorporated elements from the second and third book (and who knows, maybe more, I haven't read em all yet) and they've done some nice work splicing the stories together.
smile.gif

I did manage to find that but alas it was in jap 26 episodes, I also tried Rurouni Kenshin I didn't think it appealed to me,

so far my collection is as follows

Naruto uncut / shipuuden
bleach volume 1-23 and vol 25
code geass season 1 and R2
black lagoon
paranoia agent
deathnote
wolf rain
neon geneisis
hellsing + hellsing ultimate 4 episodes
gurren laggann
blue gender
champloo
claymore
complete noir
jyu oh sei

films
akira
vampire hunter D + bloodlust

gonna go through this thread again see if I missed anything

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Brazil
It's a pity you didn't like my recommendations >-p
BUT, Rurouni Kenshin is one of the best animes ever. It starts a little slow, but after ep. 4 or something the story starts to get more interesting... It's a shame it slow downs (for the manga fans, that is) after ep. 62... Also, ARIA!

But, oh my, u sure will have a "hard" time watching all those series >-p
Good luck on that
happy.gif

Am0s

Mojo Risin
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
toguro_max said:
It's a pity you didn't like my recommendations >-p
BUT, Rurouni Kenshin is one of the best animes ever. It starts a little slow, but after ep. 4 or something the story starts to get more interesting... It's a shame it slow downs (for the manga fans, that is) after ep. 62... Also, ARIA!

But, oh my, u sure will have a "hard" time watching all those series >-p
Good luck on that
happy.gif

forgot to mention

got
deathnote (watching)
full metal alchemist

getting
Serial Experiments Lain
magic knight reyearth
elfen lied
blood+
ninja scrolls
grave of the fire flies
yu yu

I did get a few of your suggestions
wink.gif
all the ones I listed are dubbed too as I know alot of people say its better with subs because the dubbing is not great, we are just too lazy lol

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
toguro_max said:
Saint Seiya is a cool serie that just did not go well on the US. It got cancelled, IIRC.
Here in Brazil, it's a blast, people are just crazy about it.
Lol, they used A Flock of Seagulls song on their intro for ... Knights of the Zodiac. xD(which wasn't bad but still...ehhhhhhhh)
Saint Seiya is also huge here,,well it was but still as huge as DBZ. (Probably mostly in all of South America knows it and love it..who wouldnt?)
--
[on topic]

Also I recommend Heidi!! It's adorable and cute and awesome! (If you like that type of stuff)

cruznik71450

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the Kids:

Bobobo
Card Captors
Digimon
One Piece
Pokemon(Plus there is a new episode every week you can all sit together and watch it)
Rave Master
Shaman King
Super Mario Bro's cartoon is on netflix instant streaming
Yu-Gi-Oh
Zatch Bell

For the Adults:

Berserk
Blood+
Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Elfen Lied
Ergo Proxy
Fooly Cooly(This is okay for the kid's to.)
Fullmetal Alchemist(This is kid friendly for the most part)
Ghost in the Shell
Mushishi
Paranoia Agent
Samurai Champloo
Speed Grapher
Trinity Blood
Welcome to the NHK
Wolf's Rain

Yumi

With Love<3
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Mexico
cruznik71450 said:
For the Kids:

Bobobo
Card Captors
Digimon
One Piece
Pokemon(Plus there is a new episode every week you can all sit together and watch it)
Rave Master
Shaman King
Yu-Gi-Oh
Zatch Bell

For the Adults:

Berserk
Blood+
Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Elfen Lied
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the Shell
Mushishi
Paranoia Agent
Samurai Champloo
Speed Grapher
Trinity Blood
Welcome to the NHK
Wolf's Rain

FoolyCooly for kids?? Are you kidding? Mamimi is always like, grinding on Naota in the first few episodes & she smokes.
Haruko is one weird mother* that also acts inappropriate with Naota. Especially where Naota sees them in action.
Too random and somewhat violent for kids to understand.

It's more for teens 13+ where they can understand whats going on, otherwise the kids will be asking questions. o_o

cruznik71450

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Escapa said:
cruznik71450 said:
For the Kids:

Bobobo
Card Captors
Digimon
One Piece
Rave Master
Shaman King
Yu-Gi-Oh
Zatch Bell

For the Adults:

Berserk
Blood+
Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Elfen Lied
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the Shell
Mushishi
Paranoia Agent
Samurai Champloo
Speed Grapher
Trinity Blood
Welcome to the NHK
Wolf's Rain

FoolyCooly for kids?? Are you kidding? Mamimi is always like, grinding on Naota in the first few episodes & she smokes.
Haruko is one weird mother* that also acts inappropriate with Naota. Especially where Naota sees them in action.
Too random and somewhat violent for kids to understand.

It's more for teens 13+ where they can understand whats going on, otherwise the kids will be asking questions. o_o

I saw it as a kid and I just didn't know what was going on. I thought it was funny. It is a lot better for adults. Your right lol.

CamulaHikari

Kami Kurai
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe try out Pandora Hearts?
I recently started watching it and I'm really in love with~! The story is good, although sometimes a bit confusing (that's more in the beginning). The characters are likeable, well it depends on what you like, but I'm sure there will be at least one character you like. And the music is just awesome, but that's because it's just my style of music. But just try it out and see if you like it~!

Am0s

Mojo Risin
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thanks I will have a look at it, los a few series on the way serial experiment lain and rayearth all have subs, although I did get 2 discs of lain which was english and then the other 2 were subs :/

wanderone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
wanderone said:
PharaohsVizier said:
Check your local library, I was shocked to see that my local library had several copies. I bought the first book because it popped up in my related items in Amazon and it was so ridiculously highly recommended, and I can see why. Definitely give it a go, great books!

And I might check out the anime series, looks interesting enough.
smile.gif

grog.gif
bow.gif
grog.gif

Awesome!! My library has it! Gonna grab it! THX again for the nfo! Hopefully they'll be as good
as the anime was at least.

Not sure how the anime will seem to you having read the book, but you might end up liking the music at least. Alot of people do.

Hate to jump in here and get it sidetracked again, but I thought I might let you know that the anime is actually quite good, even after reading the book. One thing I noticed is that it must have been confusing for you, having terms thrown at you left and right without too much explanation.

Hmm...well, not really. I think everything was pretty much explained as the series progressed from episode to episode. Either that or there were onscreen text by the fansubbers which explained the obscure stuff (I've seen my fansubbed version two times now).

And yes, I picked up the 1st three novels from my local library. I'm halfway through the 1st one now and....wow! It goes into a little more detail here and there, but I'm loving it every bit as much as the anime (Which I'm getting the itch to see yet AGAIN after I finish reading).

The 4th novel is on order by the library. Did some searching and I think the others are gonna be released by TokyoPop 1 per year till all 7 are out.

I dunno...this is just one of those anime settings that I never want to leave. Good story, interesting characters and setting. I like the Blame! setting and story, but not as much as this one.

THX! again for the letknow!
tongue.gif

QUOTE(Am0s @ Apr 18 2010, 07:01 PM)
thanks for the in depth review, will check out most of them as most of them are quite appealing, between me and my wife we can quite happily sit there all evening watching stuff back to back until its time to go to bed

Probably too late, but I've been forgetting and remembering to remember (
tongue.gif
) to tell you that all of my recommendations are for the SUBBED versions of the series, except maybe the Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust movie.

I generally don't like or recommend DUBBED versions. Alot of dubbed voice acting tends to Americanize and rob anime of alot of its cultural roots and the personalities of its characters or its just plain bad. Not saying all dubs are horrible (Just almost all of them.
wink.gif
) of course.

Am0s

Mojo Risin
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Probably too late, but I've been forgetting and remembering to remember (
tongue.gif
) to tell you that all of my recommendations are for the SUBBED versions of the series, except maybe the Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust movie.

I generally don't like or recommend DUBBED versions. Alot of dubbed voice acting tends to Americanize and rob anime of alot of its cultural roots and the personalities of its characters or its just plain bad. Not saying all dubs are horrible (Just almost all of them.
wink.gif
) of course.

yes I know a few people who like subbed version of anime and dislike the dubbed version, my wife and I prefer it too be dubbed am too lazy I guess, anyway can anyone recommend some good anime films

I got so far Vampire hunter D and bloodlust Akira grave of the fireflies ninja scroll, ghost in the shell fims and are all dubbed any more films you guys know of?

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Brazil
Movies, huh? Like in, animated movies, right?

Spirited Away, Papripka, Tokyo Godfathers, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro, all the Saint Seiya Movies (they are specially nice because they have, apart from the last one, nothing to do with the story).

There are more (everything from Ghibli, for instance, is great), but let's keep the list short >-p

And by the way, usually people complain abou dubbing because, let's face it, US dubbing mostly sucks, it does not have any emotion, any feeling, any thing...
I personally tend to like dubbing, but, well, brasilian dubbing is cool >-p

[Edit]: Rant about dubbing.

wanderone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
I realize they explain it, and the fansub I had explained some stuff too, but it doesn't go nearly into as much detail as I'd like.

I was watching the Twelve Kingdoms anime, and I decided to rent the DVD's instead. I have like 6 out of the 10 disks from zip.ca right now. They are shipping them so fast I figure no one else is borrowing em XD And FYI, the dub was EXTREMELY well done for the Twelve Kingdoms. While I still prefer subs, the dubs just sound fantastic.

The 4th novel published by Tokyopop had a chapter skipped, and it seems accidental rather than intentional. You'll know it INSTANTLY because the jump is just gigantic. Kind of sucks, means I'll have to buy the softcover or a 2nd edition eventually.
frown.gif
Not to mention there are so many errors its not even funny. The 4th novel, while translated relatively well, was a disappointment, someone clearly didn't proof-read.

Lastly, I'm rather close to the end of the show, seems like the anime covers books 1-4 and only follows Yoko's path.
frown.gif
I can't believe I have to wait 3 more years for the rest of the books.

@ everyone: Sorry for the topic break, this will be my last comment re: the Twelve Kingdoms novels!

@PharaohsVizier

I'm planning on getting the DVD version sometime, so I guess I'll have to plan on listening to the dub the 1st time around. I don't think all dubs are bad (Ghibli films, etc.), just alot of them.

I'm about half-way through the 3rd novel now. The En story isn't as good as the Kei & Tai ones, but its had it moments.

And I just realized something. The anime has characters and scenes that the books don't have. There's the female character in the anime that gets sucked into the shoku? with Yoko that isn't in the book at all and a daughter of one of the deposed kings who is forced into struggles because of her father's misrule. And it even gives more backdrop on Shouryuu and Enki's taiki lives (Dunno...still reading the Kingdom of En arc, it may go into this in a flashback).

No, the anime goes in the Kingdom of Tai and En stories *after* the Kei story arc is finished.
smile.gif

I wish Fuyumi Ono was more prolific. Its a shame no more will be revealed about the other kingdoms and their characters.
frown.gif
Yup, only 3 more novels.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
if for family, be careful of the romantic comedy's
they tend to get a little ecchi here and there

shinkukage09 said:
Panzer Tacticer said:
Clannad and Clannad Afterstory if you can handle parts that will make you laugh out loud and others that will have both of you crying.

This. I don't care how tough you are, if you don't cry, or shed at least SOME tears at certain points in it, then you HAVE NO HEART.
most people dont care for moeblobs

Late, but yes, because Clannad is TOTALLY a moe show. NOT. It has a few "moe" characters, but generally, they aren't. Before commenting, why not watching something before degrading it.

Also, gotta add Angel Beats to my list. And no, it's NOT MOE.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1