Hacking Real-time save, cheating or not

Pox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey everyone, my first post here, but I am a long time reader of these boards.
Anyway, I just got Nintendo DSi XL, and put flashcard ( R4isdhc RTS Lite, silver one) in it, and everything is working flawlessly. Since I am new into Nintendo world, I decided to try with some "easier games" like Donkey Kong Jungle Climber, and on later levels I was dying way to much, and without RTS function I and not sure would I make that progress in the game.

So what's the opinion of you (more experience Nintendo players) about RTS function, cause I am not someone that would cheat in games, at least not purposely. Maybe this function is only intended for platforms and not for RPGs for example (just speculating).

Thank you for your answers,
Pox

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
well. depends on how you use it... its cheat if you keep save and load, because that way you have infinite lifes...

howver most virtual console games (if not all) do have a suspended play, which lets you save and load the game

the games were designed to dont have real time save, for reasons including, it was expensive and the technology at that time was not so advanced like today...

howver, keep in mind games are suposed to be fun and enjoyable, so if you get frustrated and the game just uses tricks to make it last more hours... i think its ok if you use save and load to get over that game over menu and have to restart the level all over again... its just a way to dont make some games more tedious..
and again however, even if you feel really frustrated, if you finish the game without cheating, you feel some kind of achievement and will feel glad that you "ignored" the frustration...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I really do not care if people cheat or not and actually encourage people to make games better for themselves, be it by using cheats, techniques that might not be readily available to all or more general mods. In some ways it makes it hard to compare games as you quite literally are playing a different game to someone else, however purity to the game creator's vision always takes a second place to my having some fun. Such a thing is probably what puts me where I do in the emulation vs actual hardware debate.

Still, savestates can allow you to have effectively infinite lives, infinite time, not have to dedicate/concentrate for the time period envisaged by the game creator -- even if I scrub it after I fail a savestate would still allow me to wander off and not have to endure a hour long period of concentration. So yeah I am going with something like what migles said -- they are not inherently cheating but you can very easily use them to cheat and most capacities in which they are used probably count here.

Reactions: MartinAugustsson

BestR4i3DS.com

Trophies
Website
www.New3DSCard.com
XP
Country
United States
Please check the Official site FAQ page: http://www.r4isdhc.com/r4-fa/

=============
Q8: How to enable game cheating?

Answer: First highlight the NDS ROM you want to apply the cheats to. Second press the B button to go into the cheats options menu and checkmark each cheat you want to enable. Third turn the cheats on for that ROM by clicking the cheat on/off button. Last you'll notice the wrench icon will be yellow which indicates cheats are on. You have to press “x” or “B” to view the cheats and to turn it on don’t forget to press the save button when the cheat is on the grey key turns gold Gold= ON Gray= OFF Please update the “usrcheat.dat” from the ‐SDHC official web site to support cheat function of new games.
============

Pox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thx for the above answers. After I few games, I think I realized the purpose. In the case of platforms such as Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber, RTS could be considered as cheating simply because you have infinity lives ( although controls in that game are horror). On the other hand, in the RPGs such as Chrono Trigger, RTS in kinda unnecessary, as the are a lot of save checkpoints. Even if you do save, you are not getting anything special.

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use it to avoid repetition.

For instance, in Mega Man ZX i use it to avoid repeating levels if the boss kills me. I wouldn't use it to dodge every hit but to speed my way back through work I've already done

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, there was a power outage while you were sleeping?