• Replies 3,243
  • Likes 128

ipkryss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This is really awesome. You are the hidden hero of the switch scene, you don't get close to the recognition that you deserve. Thanks!

I want to move android and linux flash images to my SD card (FAT32) so that I can install them to partitions, but it wont work because the .img files are larger than 4GB. Any workaround to this? I tried having them in .tar.gz or .tar but hekate doesnt seem to recognize them.

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
With the latest Hekate there's a change that says:

File based now uses FastFS with speeds almost as fast as RAW

Does this apply to existing emuMMC or do we have to create a new emuMMC to take advantage of the FS?

jasonhk

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong

Does this apply to existing emuMMC or do we have to create a new emuMMC to take advantage of the FS?
I want to know too.:shy:

FunThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

For me it sounds like the file based Emunand was very slow in the past so not much ppl used it before, all used the emunand partition on sd card
so for now if you will start fresh you can use fs based emunand and don't loose any speed

so for all who used emunand partition on sd card will not have any advantage since they used the fastest way all the time ;-)

connectconnect

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
For me it sounds like the file based Emunand was very slow in the past so not much ppl used it before, all used the emunand partition on sd card
so for now if you will start fresh you can use fs based emunand and don't loose any speed

so for all who used emunand partition on sd card will not have any advantage since they used the fastest way all the time ;-)

Well, if this change gives almost the same performance than partitions, it is really a huge advantage because now you can backup and migrate to another sd card without the hassle of raw partitions and counting sectors

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It is fun because the library is indeed fatFS, not FastFS. It is a new implementation of fat/exfat drivers that brings faster access to SD card.
http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_e.html
So it is fully and transparent compatible with the existing SD cards.
Great

LapCheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Any real reason to use emummc if you don't plan to go online ? I believe my switch have been banned although i never tried restore my nand and check it out. My setup has been always 90DNS and switched to rcm incognito soon after.

Have tried partition emummc before but after a couple of days or maybe weeks, things started to get slow and eventually corrupted. So how are things now?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any real reason to use emummc if you don't plan to go online ? I believe my switch have been banned although i never tried restore my nand and check it out. My setup has been always 90DNS and switched to rcm incognito soon after.

Have tried partition emummc before but after a couple of days or maybe weeks, things started to get slow and eventually corrupted. So how are things now?
emuMMC was designed first and foremost as a way to run higher firmware versions without updating sysMMC. This is also another way of updating your firmware without burning fuses and using AutoRCM. emuMMC can also act as a brick shield. emuMMC was never designed to be a "ban shield", its just a coincidence due to how it works.

LapCheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
emuMMC was designed first and foremost as a way to run higher firmware versions without updating sysMMC. This is also another way of updating your firmware without burning fuses and using AutoRCM. emuMMC can also act as a brick shield. emuMMC was never designed to be a "ban shield", its just a coincidence due to how it works.
Yup totally agree with you, having the ability to not touch your nand and boot into a seperate drive like a dual boot in a PC is pretty cool
but due to the corrupted issue i used have, i am still debating on whether should i jumped on this. Would be great if others can share their experience. Maybe i just having a bad day?

PS: i am using a sandisk class 10 64gb sd card. Probably not the best but for cfw it gets the job done.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup totally agree with you, having the ability to not touch your nand and boot into a seperate drive like a dual boot in a PC is pretty cool
but due to the corrupted issue i used have, i am still debating on whether should i jumped on this. Would be great if others can share their experience. Maybe i just having a bad day?

PS: i am using a sandisk class 10 64gb sd card. Probably not the best but for cfw it gets the job done.
I've been using partition based emuMMC for a few months now and I have no issues. It might be worth testing if your SD card is fake or not if you haven't done so already.

Reactions: Lightyose

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using the same hidden emuMMC since it released for SXOS in like 2018 and haven't had any corruption issues. Same Sandisk SD card as you. Are you sure it was the emuMMC that corrupted? Or were you using exfat and the SD in general became corrupted?

LapCheong

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've been using the same hidden emuMMC since it released for SXOS in like 2018 and haven't had any corruption issues. Same Sandisk SD card as you. Are you sure it was the emuMMC that corrupted? Or were you using exfat and the SD in general became corrupted?

Ok its not really corrupted to the point where i cannot boot. But i having slow game loading and sd card was not readable at some point. This led me reverting back to sysnand cfw. At that point of time i was using fat32. Maybe because i am using a hackerish way of resizing my nand using sx os utility? But now i am back in using emummc using Nxnandmanager (Great tool btw) to resize my user partition

Dt123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

was this answered elsewhere

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I found the answer to my my own post, I did a fresh Atomosphere 0.12 install and created a new emuMMC (big Hekate update plus I have many micro SD cards).

FastFS works great when creating new emuMMC, 7 minutes compared to 30 minutes before this update.

For existing emuMMC's (example upgrades from older Hekate/Atomosphere), FastFS still works on existing emuMMC's.

Just try installing a game on the emuMMC (29.2GB partition via NSP on sd card, of course this all depends on the speed of your sd card too...via USB through Tinfoil or Goldleaf the speed is still app and USB driver dependent even if your sd card is fast like mine (SanDisk Extreme 512GB).

Last edited by Nemix77, , Reason: grammar
Reactions: Lightyose

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
How fast should USB Mass Storage reading/writing be? Within Hekate, I benchmarked my SD card, and read speed is roughly ~90MB/s, but when backing up my SD card, I'm only getting ~40MB/s copying to my laptop's SSD.

Backing up in preparation for formatting and partitioning it. In this case, with file-based emuMMC supposedly being as fast as partitioned emuMMC, should I go that route?

One other thing. How much space would be acceptable to allocate towards Android and Linux partitions? May not utilize them immediately (Android especially), but would like to set aside that space so I can just install them rather than partition the card later on and deal with backup/restoring of my SD data at that time.

Last edited by DiscostewSM,

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wanted to test the file based emuMMC, now that it should boot faster. But it only boots up to FW 8.1.0 and is as slow as ever. Could it be that it is because I am using AMS over fusee primary. Is booting a file based emuMMC via Hekate mandatory to reach full speed and to be able to boot it under higher FW versions, or is there a possibility to integrate it into the AMS system via a kip file or similar, so that it has the same capabilities as if it would be booted via Hekate?

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can Hekate partition an sd card for emunand? I remember reading an update added something like that.
Yes, you can do the complete emuMMC setup via Hekate, even the partitioning of the SD card is done by Hekate and on the SD card existing data (up to 1 GB) backed up and later restored.

Last edited by Muxi,
Reactions: Dt123

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo