Randomly freezing problem troubleshooting

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't rule out memory completely from a single pass of memtest (a little under 3 hours, would suggest 1 pass). It's not that uncommon for errors to not show up on the first pass, I've had sticks where the errors have only made their appearance after 2-3 passes (I assuming it needed extended stress on the memory controller or the memory to warm up before the issues popped up).

I'd be tempted to try memtest86 over + as well (+ is an opensource fork from the original memtest86), as + has not been updated for a while, where as 86 has and officially supports haswell-e & ddr4. I've seen the odd post around as well from people with ddr4 systems saying + missed the error.

Either way, I wouldn't rule out memory with a single run. Fair warning if you try 86 though, default test is 4 passes, so will take quite a while with 32GB memory.

Last edited by Armadillo,

hirvimies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It really sounds like a memory issue. Everytime I've had that kind of problem it was my RAM spooking up. If you have multiple sticks then try using one at a time and use your computer as you usually do to see if it behaves any differently. Either that or make longer runs with memtest as Armadillo suggests.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best way to test memory is use a stand alone hardware based memory tester. It should detect problem much faster than any software based memory tester, as the memory controller is taken out of the equation from your computer. However most people cannot do this because of the cost of those things. They're not cheap by any stretch of means. So most people will have to settle for software based memory tester.

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What program
If it's freezing with no HDDs on (just SSD) and you've ruled out temperature and memory problems, then there's four other possibilities.

CPU: test this using a stress test. Keep it running for about 10 minutes. See if that's enough to trigger a freeze.

Graphics: again, test this using a stress test, ideally one that uses up a lot of the VRAM. Note that graphics freezes tend to freeze with a solid colour (like brown or pink or green or grey I've seen) rather than a non-responsive freeze.

SSD: run a test on the SSD itself. I think chkdsk is enough, since I can't remember which tools are best for testing SSDs for corrupt sectors. I've had a SSD die on me due to a corrupt sector located in the Skype folder (fixed it with secure erase, but that was after I imaged the drive to a new SSD).

OS system integrity: there's a way to check this using the command prompt, but I can't remember it right now. I'll post again in the next few days if I remember it.

One marginal fifth possibility is the motherboard or power supply. If a stress test doesn't trip the power supply then you don't need to worry. But if it's a motherboard problem... Those are very difficult to diagnose and even harder to fix.
would you recommend to me ? I ll test it in the afternoon today :3 thank ya for your help though!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It really sounds like a memory issue. Everytime I've had that kind of problem it was my RAM spooking up. If you have multiple sticks then try using one at a time and use your computer as you usually do to see if it behaves any differently. Either that or make longer runs with memtest as Armadillo suggests.

I ve tested it ...about 2 and a half hour ! I think thats enough and there werent any errors... It said that my ram s fine :/

But ill test it with one ram and than with another ram!

Post my states today if ive time today!

And @RandomUser i dont have any test pc :D cause i only ve one skylake and one 4790k pc :/

Vishnoo

Failure is success if we learn from it.
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I am telling you to install a OS.I recommend you to try another OS.I would recommned Ubuntu.Don't install it.It will ask if you want to try the OS.You may use that option.
Try browsing on the web or just browse your files and check whether the PC reboots.DONT INSTALL.

Vishnoo

Failure is success if we learn from it.
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Link:
32 bit: releases.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-12.04.5-desktop-i386.iso.torrent
64 bit: releases.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-12.04.5-desktop-amd64.iso.torrent

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soo sry that it took soo long to reply... Ive sent my pc to an community that has chacked everything on and in my pc... But they ve not found anything -.- the just put the cables all again a bit stronger..and they told me that the error i ve had didnt appear...and my pc ran for about one week
One week :'( ... My poor pc.
Soo the just got one error...after they ran two benchmark tests at one time... And than the ve put all the cables a bit stronger where they should be... And that was it... No error...

I ve played with my pc for hmm... 24 hours
..and NO error at all.. sooo what the hack
:') but i dont want to decry anything... I am not sure if my pc is healed and stable...

Has anyone any idea..:')

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :rofl2: