Hacking R4 Ultra cheating problems- tried it all...

BedtimeGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have almost tried doing everything to make cheats work on my R4 Ultra (yes i know its a clone
dry.gif
) i have tried naming my cheat file urscheat.dat cheat.dat and tried it with the fil encrypted or unencrypted (with EITHER name...) but recently i made a small breakthrough! i noticed some odd files on my R4 when i decided to take off some old games and add new ones (something i rarely do) they had the same names as some of my roms but with a .cht at the end, and they were .CHT files (sonic rush.CHT, Elite Beat Agents.CHT, etc.) but none for my newer games, so i assumed they must have come with the most recent kernel i downloaded. when i tried cheating in the gaames with thos files there was quite a few cheatcodes for each and they all worked fine
smile.gif
the problem IS it was only about 5 games and not the ones i want to cheat on.. is there some way to convert the .DAT cheat archives into these separate little cht files? or maybe i could just download a proper cheat.dat (in case mine was just corrupted) in either case please help!

BedtimeGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes i have the "original" r4ultra... i tried that file but on the r4ultra website it tells you to "use cheat.dat"
dry.gif
also in the usrcheat the names of the games/cheats are just gibberish... it doesnt work if its named usrcheat or cheat.dat and i still only have cheats for the files with the .CHT files...

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
Don't use that firmware, use YSMenu and but the cheats.dat in the system folder. To learn how to install YSMenu, goto the "How to Install YSMenu" thread that is stickied in the R4 section. YSMenu is the best alternative for R4 clones.

KevInChester

Trophies
XP
Country
Had the exact same issue with my R4 Ultra, found a fix (not sure how it works). Noticed the file I got from the official site had SJIS ticked under File Encoding (in R4CCE). The ones I've gotten from this site have GBK instead.

Not sure why this works but simply get Cheat.dat from this site, open in R4CCE, under settings tick SJIS as the encoding, then save. Copy it into your _system folder, and all cheats should now show up.

Everything works great for me now
smile.gif
Well pleased.

BedtimeGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thank you all for trying to help so much, but none of it is working... if someone could help me with those mysterious .CHT files (which do work somehow (and have thumbnails like an .NDS file)) then i would maybe finally succeed...

KevInChester

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah but this is a .dat file that contains all of the cheats - may be quicker for him to try that then to convert all the ones he wants to .cht format.

No worries anyway, I was just chuffed when I finally solved the same problem myself
smile.gif

BedtimeGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
blink.gif
that's a lot of replies... i would certainly appreciate it if you sent me your cheat.dat by pm!! btw that URL u gave me elixir, it just gives a 404... (and what was that about converting them?? do i need another program for that??)

*EDIT: YES that cheat file you sent me works perfectly, i could find no difference between it and mine, but whatever!!
yaynds.gif

netfast

Trophies
XP
Country
hi guys sorry for reliving an old post. I am having the same issues.

I have an older R4 SDHC I think - thats what it says on it anyway.

I am in the same boat. Tried everything usrcheat.dat and cheat.dat with encrypted set etc etc. My ds just doesnt pick up a read on the .dat files.

I have one .cht file and this actually works fine. Just have it sitting in the same folder i have the nds file and needs to be the same file name just with the .cht extension instead of .nds. I have a list of .cht files from somewhere but they dont seem to be formatted correctly as the ds picks up that there is an appropriate cht file but doesnt read the codes? Even got in and started writing the inititlise code but didnt have much luck.

Looked everywhere and this is the only post close to my issue.

Have you got a copy of the same .dat file kevin or baffleboy?

Even just an idea how to get the .cht file in the right format and i will do manually i dont care. know how to use all the mentioned editors back to front now.

any help much appreciated.

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
if you need the .CHT or .DAT files
just download them from cheats.gbatemp.net

for .CHT
-rename the game id to the game name you requires