Hacking R4 Firmware

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It should work. R4 dosen't have protection against different language firmware, it only has protection that stops people from putting M3 DS Simply firmware on it and running it.

Kyuzumaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just answered my own question by putting it on. It says hardware not compatable. Must be the Kanji fonts that it's missing.

Only realising that i've been looking at an old mirror of the site and that theres english v1.04 available.

pristinemog

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i just answered my own question by putting it on. It says hardware not compatable. Must be the Kanji fonts that it's missing.

Only realising that i've been looking at an old mirror of the site and that theres english v1.04 available.

That's kinda disappointing. I hope they release the English DIY version of the firmware before I get my R4 on Tuesday.

Kyuzumaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it is
frown.gif

It's probably possible to hack the 1.04eng and 1.05chin firmwares together. I was looking at the *.dat file but can't get it to decompile. Not that thats important I doubt it'll take them long to release 1.05 in english given the speed updates have been thrown out so far.

They do have the R4DS IO interface source but i can't make head nor tail of it. Seems to include disc_io.h and nds/card.h which they didn't supply..

Need someone better at coding in c to look at it. I'm not very experienced

mavis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

That sucks. i just ordered an R4 from a Japanese retailer thinking that since the I/O files were available online I could easily change the language. You mean to tell me I'm stuck with Japanese?!

Kyuzumaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no the problem is not the cart it's the firmware on the ds.
You will be able to put any R4firmware on the cart you like.
So bottom line fo you is it will work fine
smile.gif

The prob with running R4firmware 1.05 is that Chinese DS's have a much larger firmware that allows them to display the 40,000 odd Kanji characters. So when you run the chinese R4firmware the thing crashes cuz it can't find the fonts it wants for the menus.

EDIT: All the firmwares were confusing so i stuck R4 prefix onto the ones reffering to the R4

kennyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
smile.gif

The prob with running R4firmware 1.05 is that Chinese DS's have a much larger firmware that allows them to display the 40,000 odd Kanji characters. So when you run the chinese R4firmware the thing crashes cuz it can't find the fonts it wants for the menus.

EDIT: All the firmwares were confusing so i stuck R4 prefix onto the ones reffering to the R4

i highly doubt this. DS/dslite are multi-region sets...they contain all the same languages. unless you're talking about the ique ds, but that shouldn't be any different.

i think the cart itself has some kind of region lock like those for the m3 series of carts.

Kyuzumaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ique DS is the one with larger chinese firmware.

It would suprise me if they manufactured a different R4 for english and chinese markets. It would be much cheaper to use exactly the same hardware for both given the DS's are the same except for the extra character sets

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
smile.gif

i highly doubt this. DS/dslite are multi-region sets...they contain all the same languages. unless you're talking about the ique ds, but that shouldn't be any different.

i think the cart itself has some kind of region lock like those for the m3 series of carts.

The iQue DS is the Chinese DS...
My English AceKard with Chinese firmware doesn't crash on my Australian DS though, so I don't know how far this story about crashing by not supporting Chinese chars is true. *-) Maybe it's only one sort of Chinese language that requires iQue's? They have simplified and traditional or something?...

QUOTE(H8TR @ Dec 30 2006, 11:38 PM)It should work. R4 dosen't have protection against different language firmware, it only has protection that stops people from putting M3 DS Simply firmware on it and running it.
I think it's the other way around, that the m3simply firmware is protected to run on r4, as the error message was said in m3skin...

Kyuzumaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH i don't know all I can say is the chinese firmware on an english cart in a normal DS doesn't work.

The rest is just speculation. Only way to test is if someone has an iQue

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Going with that right now with a dental claim morons put the wrong company name and rejected claims been on hold an hour for the claims department
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, BTW is it better to go usb or bt for these mini Pcs figure you may know since you play with rack systems so much
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Counting my blessings that my insurance hasn't caused me really any headache (yet, at least) despite the fact that I've been getting way more appointments and what not recently due
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @K3Nv2, what do you mean, what are you trying to do?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just looking at a built in mouse pad keyboard combo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I loose the dongle constantly but they may have better connection with usb frequency
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Imo Bluetooth is always a option of last resort for me
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Except for phones because it tends to be pretty reliable there
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a bad habit of taking out usb transmitter and loosing it because they can't you know print names on the damn things
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    But any desktop OS, I've never had anything but frustration trying to get Bluetooth devices to work reliably and stable. It might pair and connect once, and then next time I go to use it I have to delete and re-pair it again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    5.3 has been so good I think 6 is really going to make it stable
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember how shit 3 was
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Ptouch labeler aren't terribly expensive, label shit yourself fam. This is the one I own and there are cheaper ones too https://www.amazon.com/Brother-P-Touch-PTH110BP-Portable-included/dp/B09QXYND6S
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Solves part of the problem, mixing up which dongle is which. Then you just have to not lose them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Double D would be proud
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Even my Xbox One controller I have it paired to my desktop over Bluetooth, it USUALLY works but sometimes it refuses to connect and I have to delete and re-pair it. Maddening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gigabytes built in mobo bt/wifi pairs pretty decent
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That's what I'm using :(
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ran a driver update in device manager?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Not recently but I think it's less a driver issue and more just Windows having a garbage Bluetooth stack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could be I was having issues when I first upgraded it and didn't realiser gigabyte has specific driver revisions which is stupid
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Which is married to the boards revision
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Made my first review
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I've gone years without ever removing a logitech usb transmitter. Across several replacements of keyboards and mice. It just stays put.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    tldr usb > bluetooth imo
    +1
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: tldr usb > bluetooth imo +1