r4 clone, how to fix bridged connection?

zxr750j

Longtime member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I bought a second hand 3ds, in it was a working r4 clone (came free with it) and I also got a non working r4sdhc-3ds-dsi-dualcore with it for free! It was a great deal btw.
I confirmed it non working (after trying countless woods, ys menus and so on).

Now I opened it up and looked at the connections on the pcb...
It looked liked the 6th and the 7th pin are bridged, pulled my multimeter and yes: bridged.
Now the question: should I get a hobbyknife and try cut/pry to unbridge it or put on some flux and apply some heat (problem is my iron is way to big for this small stuff)...

Suggestions?

1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You might want to open another thread in the NDS section, where flashcarts are usually discussed.
For my part, I would advise you to use a knife with a thin, precision blade to separate those two pins, acting very gently and with accuracy.

Edit: Then when you will try it, don't use random firmwares anymore, just the right one! Otherwise you will permanently brick it for real.

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 320115

Tried the knife route: successfully unbridged it :)

Now the search for the correct files begins...
I'd try WOODR4 v1.64 first, as that's the last/best firmware. Y's Menu sucks donkey balls by comparison, so I avoid using it unless it's the only thing that works.

Reactions: zxr750j

zxr750j

Longtime member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tried wood, the card doesn't show up on a regular DSi, it does on Twilight, it goes form "Therese no game card inserted" to "Start Game Card" but without a Icon and it only shows white screens (with or without SD-inserted).

So I was thinking: If the main chip was bridged, they might not have programmed the firmware on the eeprom chip. I do have an eeprom flasher (cheap usb one, never used it). I think (hard to read) it's a winbond 25X16A, this should work? Now I only have to search for a correct bin file?I can try to dump the current contents of the chip without any risk I think (besides lacking any skills in this workfield).

I do have another option i think, the same method used to remove ntr-boot. https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(ntrboot). I don't see my exact card but this one might work but I don't have a 20XX version: "R4iSDHC Dual-Core 20XX from r4isdhc .com"

Maybe someone with this card can dump theirs? Or should I just try it...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof