Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just far too many options with this cIOS. Can someone lay down some foundational knowledge of what all of these things mean? I get that you can install the cIOS as 222 or 223, and that that's just where it's put on the Wii. But what is "MLOAD" and should I use that version? And when I install which base IOS should I use? 36, 36+37, some other option? What are the differences?

I've been looking and keeping my eye out for weeks for an explanation of this and have come across just about nothing.

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is good info alexrose thanks, what advantages/disadvantages does this have over waninkoko's cIOS? what about speed comparisons, disc check game fix, spind down fix etc?

Mrmatch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Skater4599 said:
This is good info alexrose thanks, what advantages/disadvantages does this have over waninkoko's cIOS? what about speed comparisons, disc check game fix, spind down fix etc?

I would also like to know this... im currently using cios13 and it seems to work ok... just wondered if there was any reason to use the other ones...

swarmster

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
From what I can gather:

The typical Hermes install puts his cIOS36 in IOS222 as a rough equivalent to Waninkoko's cIOS36 rev10, but with a HDD sleep fix. It also combines cIOS36 and cIOS37 into IOS223, which adds support for USB peripherals. I think the latest version is always considered "MLOAD", since it requires some support code in the loader to initialize certain components of the IOS.

I guess the questions this leaves are:

If IOS223 gives you all of the features, why would you ever want to just use IOS222?

How does the loading speed of IOS222/223 compare to, say, Waninkoko's cIOS36 rev9/10?

Does IOS222/223 fix the issues with needing a disc in the drive to play certain games? (i.e. De Blob and Metroid 3)

Does IOS222/223 allow Takt of Magic and similar games to work, that only work under Waninkoko's cIOS38 rev13a?

Now that more loaders are supporting Hermes' cIOS (USB Loader GX, for example), and Waninkoko has said rev14 will be his last, I agree that it would be helpful going forward if we could start compiling answers to these questions.

josete2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Install 222 as ios 36 merge 38 and you're done!

QUOTE said:
Does IOS222/223 fix the issues with needing a disc in the drive to play certain games? (i.e. De Blob and Metroid 3)

Hermes' cIOS don't have dip plugins... dip plugin is in the loader (uLoader) and with new uLoader 1.9/2.0 this problem is fixed.

You can find the new uLoader 2.0 here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?vnmuni2emym

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
swarmster said:

Just FYI, cIOS249rev12 and up fix this issue already.

I guess to further my questions, if the typical install is:
222 as IOS36
223 as IOS36 + IOS37

Why are all the other options there at all? What's the point of them? I installed 223 as 36+60 just because it was there, and for shits and giggles...

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alexrose said:
Install 222 with default settings.

Install 223 as ios 36 merge 37.

???

Profit!

QUOTE(josete2k @ Jun 12 2009, 03:27 PM) Install 222 as ios 36 merge 38 and you're done!

Either one of you care to expound on why I should follow either of your advice?

As of now in this thread there is equal advice on 3 out of 4 of the install options the loader offers. So we're back to square one! Someone has to know what these mean. Swarmster comes the closest to answering the questions, but raises just as many!

josete2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hooya said:
Why are all the other options there at all? What's the point of them? I installed 223 as 36+60 just because it was there, and for shits and giggles...

It was only for testing pusrposes...

You can make 2 installations:

- install IOS222 as IOS36 (with default settings) and IOS223 as IOS36 merge 38

With this installation you can use 223 for games that need usb devices plugged (mic, guitar etc) and 222 for all other games.

or

- install IOS222 as 36 merge 38... and use it in ALL games.

swarmster

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
josete2k said:
You can make 2 installations:

- install IOS222 as IOS36 (with default settings) and IOS223 as IOS36 merge 38

With this installation you can use 223 for games that need usb devices plugged (mic, guitar etc) and 222 for all other games.

or

Why would you even suggest using 36 for some games and 36+38 for others if you can just use 36+38 for everything? What is the downside of using 36+38?

Does merging 36 and 38 support Rock Band instruments? WiiSpeak? Waninkoko based his latest cIOS off of 38, but some people complain that it won't work with Rock Band instruments, which need 37. Is that just because a difference in the way it's used by Waninkoko's cIOS and Hermes' cIOS that you say to just use 36 and 38?

I'm sorry to be asking so many questions, but there is a lot of questions out there and everyone seems to just suggest whatever they happen to use themselves rather than backing anything up with straight answers. I think it would be good to figure these things out so maybe a FAQ can be put together and there isn't so much confusion around the forums. It's hard to troubleshoot problems when everyone's using a different setup and no one has any idea why.

josete2k

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
When this cIOS was released, we didn´t kwon if an IOS mix would work (because Hermes don´t have mics or wiispeak) and many options were made to test...

Well, 36 with default settings was added because the safe..

After many tests it became apparent that 36+38 works well with everything, like 36+37...

(this text is google translated sorry)

So you can install IOS222 as 36 and 223 as 36+38 (or 36+37)

or

222 as 36+38.

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did a little testing on this to try to clear up some questions, i got the new installer V2 with all diff setups results are:

222 using 36(default)
*Games ran just fine, Metroid Prime 3 still asked for a disc to play and it loaded slightly slower than waninkoko's rev10 (Using smash bros. brawl)

222 using 37 merged with 36
*i couldnt get metroid prime to even start just black screen then freeze had to manually reset wii (this was all the testing i did on it as i wouldnt keep it anyway cause of this
tongue.gif
)

222 using 60 merged with 36
exact same results on Metroid Prime 3 and brawl speed test

I couldnt test the spin down fix on this as i set my drive to never sleep and turned off wiiconnect24 so my hdd doesnt sleep anyway, if anyone can add to this please do!

Also to clarify the speed test it was very minimal maybe 1 extra sec longer, ( 2 "." on the now loading bar) almost identical to my tests of rev13a,b

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hdhacker said:
Hooya said:
swarmster said:

Just FYI, cIOS249rev12 and up fix this issue already.

Yes, but people don't WANT to install rev 12.

Why not? It's got total stability but none of the bugs introduced by 13(b). 10 tends to lock up on some games for me and 13 has that freeze on second game bug. 12 has been perfect for me. Since it fixes the "disk in drive" issue it seems to me to be more compatible than any of Hermes' versions.

This thread has been helpful though. Thank you all for your contributions. If anyone has more information we should make sure to get this all straightened out.

Pip_X

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I'm using mload 223 ios60 merged with ios36 with Configurable USB Loader.
All 61 backups in my HDD loads fine.
I use mload 223 ios60 merged with ios36 mainly because of the HDD Sleep Fix.

Does wanin's CIOS can fix HDD Sleep Fix issue?

Which is better? CIOS13a or mload 222/223?

Skater4599

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
waninkoko's do not have a sleep fix in them at all, but they do have fixes for games that require a disc to be inserted but that doesnt seem to be your case
biggrin.gif

I usually follow by the rule if it aint broke dont fix it XD

Does anyone know how often Hermes loader reads from the drive for the sleep fix, I.E how short can you put the sleep timer on and still get the fix?

Hooya

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Pip_X said:
I'm using mload 223 ios60 merged with ios36 with Configurable USB Loader.
All 61 backups in my HDD loads fine.
I use mload 223 ios60 merged with ios36 mainly because of the HDD Sleep Fix.

Does wanin's CIOS can fix HDD Sleep Fix issue?

Which is better? CIOS13a or mload 222/223?

My hard drive doesn't have sleep issues. It has to go 10 minutes paused before it shuts down, and even then it'll load up and the came will continue after a brief freeze...

So I guess it's good to have depending on your situation, but again, knowing exactly what things do will help us figure out in the future what is best for new users or if we get new hardware.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Hooya said:
Alexrose said:
Install 222 with default settings.

Install 223 as ios 36 merge 37.

???

Profit!

QUOTE(josete2k @ Jun 12 2009, 03:27 PM) Install 222 as ios 36 merge 38 and you're done!

Either one of you care to expound on why I should follow either of your advice?

As of now in this thread there is equal advice on 3 out of 4 of the install options the loader offers. So we're back to square one! Someone has to know what these mean. Swarmster comes the closest to answering the questions, but raises just as many!

Because IOS249 gives you everything you want anyway most likely, but 222 will now add no sleep mode and 223 will add USB peripheral+dlc support to Rock Band and Guitar Hero games. If you don't care about these things, don't install ANY of Hermes' cIOS; there's no point. I assume if you're already here you like Rock Band.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
josete2k said:
Ok...this whole Thread is a good Idea...but what is now the perfect solution? I still don't know more, all Posts suggest another combiantion...for me, IOS222 as 36 merge 38 would be a nice solution...but do you have then the perfect one, that works perfect with Mics, Instruments, WiiSpeak and all games? Or what? Would be nice if someone can still clear that up...

Thanks in Advance
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, https://youtu.be/UlLG4NKrE1A?si=RcoQaZShtXQhcyHJ