Coming Soon™
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I do streaming and have recently picked up speedrunning Luigi's Mansion. One of their rules over on the speedrun website is that you must use physical disc on a Wii or GC in order for runs to count due to emulation and USB loading giving an unfair loading speed advantage.

Anyways, I have a DVC-100, the classic Dazzle with only composite and S-Video on it, and I was wondering what quality exactly the Wii puts out over S-Video. Is it only 480i? Because I bought an S-Video adapter and in OBS I've noticed sawtoothing typical of an interlaced signal, meaning I'd probably have to use a deinterlace filter. Though it's definitely still a vast an improvement in sharpness and color versus composite.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I would expect 480p or i because that's the native resolution for the Wii. Back in the day I had an old EZcap but with component cable hookup and I got 480p.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I would expect 480p or i because that's the native resolution for the Wii. Back in the day I had an old EZcap but with component cable hookup and I got 480p.

Right, that's what I though too, but I'm seeing sawtoothing on edges when capturing, suggesting 480i instead.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
S-Video is 480i just like composite cables. Only component/VGA/HDMI cables can output 480p. All S-Video does is separate the color and the brightness of the picture which improves color quality vs. composite and smooths out the edges a bit.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Right, that's what I though too, but I'm seeing sawtoothing on edges when capturing, suggesting 480i instead.
Yeah sounds interlaced. I found progressive worked much better on my EZcap but I did have to play with my editing software to get the quality I wanted.

LeifEricson

Coming Soon™
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
S-Video is 480i just like composite cables. Only component/VGA/HDMI cables can output 480p. All S-Video does is separate the color and the brightness of the picture which improves color quality vs. composite and smooths out the edges a bit.

This is what I suspected but I was not clear if progressive over S-Video was possible or not. Regardless it is still looks miles better than using composite and OBS has a great Yadif deinterlacer anyways. Thanks.

Last edited by LeifEricson,

Sticksandstones

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only circumstance under which S-Video will display in non-interlaced, progressive video is in 240p, and this also works for composite and RF. You'll find that many homebrew emulators (as well as Virtual Console--see below) support output in 240p video mode, if it's not enabled by default, you'll find it in an options/settings menu/file.
VC doesn't enable it by default. To enable it, play the game on the screen, press Home > Operations Menu > A+1+Z simultaneously (Wiimote/Nunchuk only), a beep will occur, confirming correct entry. (A+2+Z reverses this)
I do not recommend doing this on an HDTV since many of those simply don't support 240p (although some do), which means trying to do this will result in no video being displayed on your TV screen if it doesn't.
Unless your TV supports component, S-Video is the best quality you're going to get, especially on a CRT SDTV.

Reactions: Ryccardo

cykablyat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hey guys, I do streaming and have recently picked up speedrunning Luigi's Mansion. One of their rules over on the speedrun website is that you must use physical disc on a Wii or GC in order for runs to count due to emulation and USB loading giving an unfair loading speed advantage.

Anyways, I have a DVC-100, the classic Dazzle with only composite and S-Video on it, and I was wondering what quality exactly the Wii puts out over S-Video. Is it only 480i? Because I bought an S-Video adapter and in OBS I've noticed sawtoothing typical of an interlaced signal, meaning I'd probably have to use a deinterlace filter. Though it's definitely still a vast an improvement in sharpness and color versus composite.

theres a svideo cable for sale for wiis model number is rvl-010

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1