filfat

CTO @ Nordcom Group Inc.
Trophies
Website
www.sweetsideofsweden.com
XP
Country
Sweden
So you're saying you wouldn't be hacking Wii U if it was illegal ?

First, im not hacking the Wii U i created the topic and were close to discovering a new webkit bug a few days ago, the real hero are Marionumber1 (There are a few more). And no i wouldnt, i bought a closed platfrom.

Reactions: Ra1d

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can't compare videogame piracy to movies or music, as that's not their main way of getting paid. If a game doesn't sell? Well, too bad.
Ignoring the touring can be expensive part of being in a band, box office losses (though this can be a trick of accounting) and that games can advertise within them and have a whole raft of monetisation options beyond one time payment would that not speak more to games not have a good monetisation model? Not having diverse revenue streams/investments is usually considered about as bad a form as you can take in business.

L

Lavanoid

Hhahaha. Seriously - this thread is hilarious. People think illegal things are legal and they'd rather spend their life getting things easily. Ha.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hhahaha. Seriously - this thread is hilarious. People think illegal things are legal and they'd rather spend their life getting things easily. Ha.

Can I ask what your purpose in creating this thread was? Was it to convince everyone to stop pirating forever and force everyone to act the way you do, or was it simply to make everyone that pirates feel bad?

Genuinely curious.

Sizednochi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
and that games can advertise within them and have a whole raft of monetisation options beyond one time payment would that not speak more to games not have a good monetisation model? Not having diverse revenue streams/investments is usually considered about as bad a form as you can take in business.
Thing is - gamers are usually not very acceptable of any other monetization schemes other than paying for the game and that's it. Just watch how DLC gets such a bad rep. Also since the thread's about 3DS games here - they mostly solely depend on unit sales. A good example is Fire Emblem: Awakening. If it didn't sell over a million copies, the series would be dead at this point.

I'm not saying piracy is a crime and you should be ashamed of doing it or whatever. It's just not right, no matter how you put it to be. Just accept that and don't try to justify it. I pirate myself - honestly who doesn't nowadays. I download some music, movies, ROMs from old games, etc. But I always try to support whatever I like the most and want to see succeeding. I've seen people around here literally saying "I'm a big fan of ____, can't wait to pirate the new game." That's just... Well, yeah. Such a nice fan.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thing is - gamers are usually not very acceptable of any other monetization schemes other than paying for the game and that's it. Just watch how DLC gets such a bad rep.

DLC only got such a bad rep due to blatant abuse of it, stuff being stripped to use as DLC, true endings being held for DLC etc, so now people are instantly suspicious of it.

Some people are all DLC=bad, but a lot of negativity is due to the above.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If they are not accepting it then you are not selling what you have properly, also even stuff like Bravely Default had microtransactions and indeed the Fire Emblem: Awakening game mentioned also sports them if memory serves. Likewise I tend not to see DLC get a bad rep (it has been around for many years and previously known as expansion packs) as much as the proverbial horse armour.

I am not seeing too may people say it is their right to pirate either, assuming they do not actually have a right (though rights there would make pirating the wrong term, perhaps even an oxymoron).

I pirate, therefore I am.

[people would] rather spend their life getting things easily. Ha.

Is that not the entire point of science, technology and cognitive development?

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Because not everyone has a nice check provided by exploiting nearly every other country, civilized or otherwise. Just because you forced your asinine copyright laws on the rest of the world doesn't mean shit ethically. If you actually wanted a discussion, you'd be fighting TPP, not forcing more bullshit protection laws for rich countries.
Also, I couldn't possibly name a AAA publisher, and very likely any at all, who hasn't seriously pissed all over consumer rights, and many on free speech, so they can go fuck themselves on principle alone.

Having said that, I do buy nearly every PC game I play because, guess what, Steam and other distributors actually have a fucking clue about their costumers and sell to the long tail.
As to the developers, they're salaried, and their not treated like shit because of piracy, that's for sure. Fix the industry, maybe then someone will give a fuck. But no, it has to join the RIAA and the MPAA in fuckitude. They could all vanish for all I care.

Nightwish

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just FYI, there are also countries where piracy is legal too, I guess your argument doesn't apply to them, right ?
In particular, what would your opinion be of pirates from Antigua?
Also, if you should be paid for creating things, what's your opinion on using people without salary to create them?
And what's your opinion on companies taking research from universities paying basically nothing? And so on, and so forth...

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just like to say, piracy pushes a consoles sales. Look at the DS. The R4 BOOSTED its sold unIts by a crapload. That's all I wanted to say. Leaving the thread now~

CaptainSodaPop

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I pirate because I don't have money to buy games (and i'm not the kind of who never buys legit stuff).I buy a legit game now and then, I've paid a full price for about 4 games for 3DS that I own, and that price is really insane in my country (Croatia) because we don't have a official Nintendo distributor.Others I got used for half a price, or got through Nintendo Club promotions.For games like PS3 it's really cheap to get through here, because PlayStation is a lot more popular here and we have a official PlayStation distributor, and even Xbox 360 (which is not officially supported as well) games is easy to buy cheap on forums and stuff.But since 3DS was in the state it was, good games were like a gold here and people would not rarily sell them for a full retail price (used) that other European countries have in which Nintendo is officially supported or USA.

So my philosophy is, If life is hard and you can get something for free, get it for free.If you have money to support yourself and support your hobby adequately, do it.Because it is evenly right.I can't judge people who don't have money to buy an expensive game and eagerly want to play it, and I also can't judge developers about being angry at piracy, who work hard to get their jobs paid.But hey man, I'm confident that there will always be people who'll buy games.

I buy real games when I can, it's a good habit.Just not easiest if you can't.For the enjoyment of the pirated game and legal I would say it's the same.But the experience is not.And it's not connected with anything in game, it's just a spiritual thing of putting a nicely colored disc/cartridge in your console and putting your game cases on shelf/whatevers back or reversed.Collecting stuff and all that.That's priceless, and because of that, I would pay anything for a certain game if I've had enough money.

Reactions: megazero1x1

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Lavanoid you are dickhead, my wigga.

you are making it sound like we are pedos (ill make my point)

digital pirating is a very new concept in the big pictures of things, and the governments you are defending; are putting this "pirates" in with "killers", "people who destroy other peoples life’s for the fun of it" and "pedo"s in the same prisons, for the same amount of time. is that just?

is it fair that someone in a 3rd world country which we have destroyed they resources and land by a 1st world countries, and still to this day is run by 1st world countries. a lot people in 1st world can get can what ever they want even with out a job. but people who live in this 3rd world countries who has the educating and skills to do very high level job in an 1st world country who struggles to makes ends meet, sees all this and thinks why should I buy when i can just pirate. end of the day its human nature to want to have the best.

look around a lot and I mean _ALOT_ of are members are from 3rd world countries. its okay you being on your fucking western high horse. but those people who want the very best way of life too. which leads too, the pricing of products and distribution methods for 3rd world countries.

gaming industry should learn from the music world. look at spotify and how successful it is, if in this day and age you pirate music than you are fool. Sony is making big hits with PS Plus, but even than its missing something.

when i say 3rd world countries i include the U.S. cause the people in that country are very very very very rich(very few).. or are dirt poor.

More to come...

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Although @SylverReZ my throat feels normal now