Hardware [Q] System Transfer between different regions (eshop downloads)

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I have a PAL (EUR/AU) 3DS XL console with some eshop purchases.

I understand that when you perform a system transfer, stuff like friends and streetpass data get transfer as well.

As for games, I know that they are transferred as well as I have done it from a 3DS to an XL but they are from the same region.

If let's say that one day I decide to move to US or JPN, obviously it might make more sense for me to sell the old 3DS and get a US/JPN 3DS as I can source the regional games at a cheaper price. What happens to the eshop titles?

I know that you can always redownload eshop titles but what happens if you have transferred to a different region 3ds? Will the titles be transferred over to the new region eshop? This is also confusing with the new NNID which forces you to stick with a single country.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if it's possible to transfer a different region license.

Nintendo can (technically) disable the license in one region and enable it for the corresponding application in the other region for you to re-download, but some games and applications might be available only in some regions, in their own languages. Transferring the data on a different console using a different/incompatible language can be problematic. Your save files will be incompatible too, as the games will use a different TitleID/encryption (technically again, it's possible to convert all those encrypted file using the new TitleID/key).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1