Gaming Puzzle Quest Galactrix and UI touchscreen glitches

borka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Well. I've decided to start a separate topic, since it is a very specific question.

I have EZ5. And it (ez5) has a so-called moonshell bug. I don't know if it is specific to ez5 only, or happens on other flashcards. A think the latter is the case, since I didn't know about it until I've read it in the forum. Description of the bug is as follows: If you try to close popup menu, the close button doesn't work. It is "somewhere" else. Checboxes are weird. And scrollbar (for me) is reversed. Here is the story http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=...p;sk=t&sd=a

Well, in PQ:G I've got the same pattern. The game works Ok in the no$gba (not taking into account load times, of course): that is a little sluggish, but is Ok. But, on my ez5 it is terrible. 4 of 5 stylus "clicks" work as if they were in a different part of the screen. For example, I popup planet menu, try to choose a menu item, and... ship flies away to the top-left corner (or top-right). It is not slowdowns, it is a broken touchscreen code...

That leads me to the conclusion, that DS _differ_ somehow in touchscreen behaviour. And there are DSes that work with most of the games Ok, but not with moonshell and PQ:G. Oh, BTW, fMSX emulator is off with touchscreen too... First, we had a homebrew "strange" behaviour. And now - a commercial game.
blink.gif

BTW, All other games work for me Ok. So it is not a hardware malfucntion, I believe.

So, if you play PQ:G, please try for moonshell "bug"? Maybe it is a ez5-only bug, may be it happens on all flashcards.

I just can't believe that they released the game with such UI issues, if it was detected in the QA and happened on 100% of DSes.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tested on my cylcoDS evo, and same problem. This game is probably developed with old libnds from devkit pro which has this bug.
frown.gif

borka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Interesting... I don't know how the DS executable is compiled... Is it possible to tear the ROM apart and change the old lib with a new one? Is it stored in the ROM as a standalone library with entrypoints and such, or just compiled in?

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ccosmos said:
Tested on my cylcoDS evo, and same problem. This game is probably developed with old libnds from devkit pro which has this bug.
frown.gif

So, does that mean the problem would be inherent in retail versions of Galactrix as well?

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think so. But this will only happen on a minority of DSlite, so it could even never been noticed by the publisher of this game.

borka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
The problem was mentioned in the IGN review, so may be it is not a such a minority.

BTW, Well, what was the bug in libnds and why it appears only on some NDSes?

P.S. Looked at the LUA code in the PC version (NDS version has all lua code precompiled, existing decompilers do not work). As I thought - all event processing, pixel calculation, screens, "TWO_PI = math.pi + math.pi" etc is done in the lua - no wonder loading times and overall slowdowns.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
borka said:
The problem was mentioned in the IGN review, so may be it is not a such a minority.
Wow.
frown.gif

QUOTE(borka @ Mar 2 2009, 02:11 PM) BTW, Well, what was the bug in libnds and why it appears only on some NDSes?

Look at THIS.
wink.gif

borka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
ccosmos said:

Well, this link strangely resembles my link in the first post
yaynds.gif

In fact, I was thinking about in-depth description, what the bug is. I've found this discussion at gbadev, reading it now. Really weird
wacko.gif

In two words: "The trick is, not to take the first one or two inputs after the pen hits or leaves the key.". That is, some "chattering", well known in electronics

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
borka said:
ccosmos said:
Look at THIS.
wink.gif

Well, this link strangely resembles my link in the first post
yaynds.gif

In fact, I was thinking about in-depth description, what the bug is. I've found this discussion at gbadev, reading it now. Really weird
wacko.gif

Hey borka ! Was my link broken ?
blink.gif

Quote from this link :

QUOTE(Mbmax @ Jan 01 2009, 11:31 AM)
Today i have found an interesting thread on gbadev forum.
Exactly what i'm experiencing on my Black DSL.

So i have decided to run the test that MatLeOuf has done and here is the result :

Touch screen test OK on my White DSL !

Touch screen test WRONG on my Black DSL !

I know that Moonlight has used libnds from dev kit pro in his moonshell 1.71. The problem comes probably from the touch library.

borka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Well, sorry. I don't know, where my eyes were, when I've looked at your link
rolleyes.gif

And one more quote from the gbadev
QUOTE said:
There is a Faulty Batch of DS's, i had one, it would'nt calibrate properly, i did'nt realise it was a fault until someone told me about it, luckily the shop knew about the fault and exchanged my DS even a year after i bought it

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
borka said:
And one more quote from the gbadev
QUOTE said:
There is a Faulty Batch of DS's, i had one, it would'nt calibrate properly, i did'nt realise it was a fault until someone told me about it, luckily the shop knew about the fault and exchanged my DS even a year after i bought it

Yep got one like that, but it's was a hardware failure. I was not able to calibrate the touch screen with the NDS firmware. Changed by Nintendo under warranty.
Here it's not the case.
wink.gif

borka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Well. I don't know what the PQ developers had smoked, but I want this stuff
smile.gif

The touchscreen is a little bit easy, if you make double-taps. For me it works 4 times of 5 (instead of 1 times of 5, if you just single-tap).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Fuck sigma, go with sugma. +1