Gaming PSP Phat or PSP Slim?

DS64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I held my friends PSP slim and it weighs like nothing, feels empty inside, however I did like the buttons. I picked up the PSP phat only because of the price
smile.gif
and to be honest for someone who doesnt own either of them its really hard to tell which is slim and which isnt.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
there is only one thing a new psp could bring to the table that is really needed, and thats a better LCD screen. Phat or slim, the LCD screen is toss on both. PSP 3000, less ghosting please!

Anakir

Project: Melee
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow awesome. You guys provided me with some more information.

I'm leaning a lot towards the PSP slim at the moment.

So for the Phat battery in a PSP slim, how does that work? Do I have to modify it in any way? Or can I just regularly put it in? I would love aPSP that lasts 9 hours long.

And what's this about PSP 3000? How much more can they improve upon the PSP? I don't know if I should go for PSP 3000 though because the new motherboard MAY stop the pirated games I plan to play.
tongue.gif
But who knows. I don't even know when I'm getting a PSP because I need to get a summer job first.

@kristianity77: what's ghosting?

Edit: And I know that PSPs can play PS1 games too. I wonder how does it play PS1 games without the L2 or R2 button though. Some games from PS1 require using those buttons.

Akiranon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nintenterd said:
if ur planning to do howebrew on the slim or fat, i would get fat, ok yeah good ok homebrew apps for slim, but phat can run a app called " IR Shell" which slim cant, maybe it can i dunno but if it does run on slim, its sucks..
yaypsp.gif

on the other hand, if u wanna be a normal psp user, get a psp slim..
yaypsp.gif

Most of the popular homebrew has already been ported to the 3.xx kernel, and what are you talking about? iR Shell works perfectly fine on the slim, in fact, I'm using it right now on my own slim
tongue.gif

But yeah, there's still some older 1.50 homebrew that won't work on the slim. The phat has a 1.50 kernel addon which allows it to run 1.50 homebrew. Unfortunately this addon doesn't work on the slim. You can use 'TimeMachine' to run these homebrew, though. But it's a bit tedious, you have to reboot the PSP every time to use different firmwares.

QUOTE('Anakir') said:
So for the Phat battery in a PSP slim, how does that work? Do I have to modify it in any way? Or can I just regularly put it in? I would love aPSP that lasts 9 hours long.
You can just put it in, you should note one thing though. You can't use the original battery cover when using the phat battery (it's larger), however, there are third-party (and official?) battery covers available that fix this problem.

QUOTE('Anakir') said:
And what's this about PSP 3000? How much more can they improve upon the PSP? I don't know if I should go for PSP 3000 though because the new motherboard MAY stop the pirated games I plan to play. But who knows. I don't even know when I'm getting a PSP because I need to get a summer job first.
I think the PSP-3000 is still a rumour, correct me if I'm wrong though. They could add bluetooth and some other stuff, I honestly don't know. About the thing getting hacked: the PSP-2000 got hacked before it officially got released. So, who knows?
tongue.gif

Edit: And I know that PSPs can play PS1 games too. I wonder how does it play PS1 games without the L2 or R2 button though. Some games from PS1 require using those buttons.
The built-in PSX emulator has some control schemes built in. Also, firmware 3.95 allows you to map the buttons apparently. However, this firmware hasn't been hacked yet and is not supported by Popsloader.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ghosting on a psp is exactly the same as what you see on an LCD monitor, where the screen cant quite keep up with the action. Lets say a white circle on a black background flies around the screen. Where your only supposed to see the ball move around, on a PSP screen youll see trails behind the ball where the PSP cant turn from black to white fast enough. All PSPs are plagued by this, and on some games its worse than others. Nothing you can do about that tho apart from deal with it. Unless of course you have a slim and play TV out!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-