Hacking PSP & memory cards

Ravte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hey guys, I'm new to this side of GBAtemp but I decided to get here now that I'm bidding on an PSP Slim&Lite(+4 games and 2 movies) for 35$.

So I'm presuming that after softmodding/ hacking the software you can start playing games straight from your memory card (SD card?!?)

How big SD card should I get? - how big are the PSP roms(?) usually?

What type of SD card should I get? (micro or normal)

Does softmodding/hacking your PSP software limit your online browsing possibilities?

Does PSP slim&lite support WLAN?

Last of all what's the model number for PSP Slim&Lite?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP games really different in size. They can be as small as under 100MB or as high as 1.7GB.

The bigger the better of memory sticks, honestly. I used a 4GB one and a 2GB one and it was kinda a pain to constantly swap games. Nowadays I use 16GB internal storage on my Go and that's fine. However, I think I could live with 8GB.

The PSP doesn't use SD cards, it uses Memory Stick Pro Duos. PSP Gos use Memory Stick Micros.

I'm pretty sure all PSPs support WLAN.

I don't know anything about model numbers, sorry.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
PSP games are usually 600MB-1.8GB depending on the game and if stuff has been ripped out the ISO.

PSP doesn't support SD cards unless you have an adapter for Micro SD.

No.

Yes.

300X - x being what region you're from and doesn't matter.

Edit: Guild is a bitch and I hate him so much

Ravte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thanks a bunch for both of you for taking your time and answering my questions!
biggrin.gif

Good thing I came to check this out before I went out to my local PC store to check out the SD card collection they have there.
biggrin.gif

But again, thanks to both of you! =)

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Right. Buying those pro duo sticks online is cheaper than the shop.

Or getting a microSD to pro duo adapter for the PSP is also nice as 2 microSD that equals the size of a pro duo memory stick is usually cheaper.

Geek72790

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try finding a 16GB M2 card with Pro Duo Adapter online.

Here in the States I payed less than $30 for a 16GB M2 with Pro Duo adapter off ebay. Sure you don't get retail packaging, but who the hell cares about retail packaging for a memory card?

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Geek72790 said:
Try finding a 16GB M2 card with Pro Duo Adapter online.

Here in the States I payed less than $30 for a 16GB M2 with Pro Duo adapter off ebay. Sure you don't get retail packaging, but who the hell cares about retail packaging for a memory card?
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Class-microS...y/dp/B001F6YRNO
with this
http://www.amazon.com/PhotoFast-MicroSDHC-...D/dp/B001B6EAOY
Twice the storage for almost the same price. I say go with my idea...

EDIT: Keep in mind that it were some random links i found. I know they can be WAY cheaper than this. I bought my MicroSDHC to pro duo for just 1 dollar or sumthing.

durpy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the adapter itself is about $3 bucks from hong kong (meritline, dealextreme, ebay, etc) vendors online. you can find a 16GB card for roughly about $20-$30 ish (meritline has a 16GB for $20) but i noticed you're in finland so i don't know how much you'd get charged for shipping so the final price may be a lot more.

i'd be wary of buying memory cards off ebay because you might end up with fake counterfeits (ie; computer will display it as a 16GB but when you format it will actually be 128MB or something like that). i did buy my 16GB from meritline a few months ago because it was retail packaging. from what i understand "bulk" = fake but this is just speculation.

personally i use a 16GB+8GB in my psp and i had like 10GB left because i wasn't all too interested in completely filling it up like my ds and i'm quite picky about the games i play in general (most of which were rpgs).

Ravte

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thanks for the tips guys, after checking out the local store, the prices were 30€ for 8g Pro Duo stick (wth does the HG mean in Pro Duo HG Memory Stick?) and 75€ for 16gb, I only just recently payed for my Piano Black and I'm still waiting for the auctioner to post it over so I'm still open for suggestions. So thanks for the tips again guys ! XD

E* Holy crap! Thanks for those links Darkstrike! So gonna check out that SD card to stick pro duo - combo. I still remember when I first bought my first flashcard for the NDS, the SD card was 2gb and costed 30€ back then >.< Damn things have gotten cheaper in 6 or 7 years.

E2* Oh darn it, no shipping over my country for that stuff : < Was so excited about 16gb SD card+8gb SD card + Adapter for 27€ :
ohnoes.png
ohnoes.png
D Anyone else ran across this problem before in amazon? A tip on this would be greatly appreciated! =)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: