Hardware PSP crashes/shuts down when playing ISOs

jule_brianne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi GBATempers,

Sorry if there's already a similar post to this, I can't seem to find a solution anywhere..
This is my first time posting a topic 'cause most of the time I can search out the solutions to most of my PSP-related problems, but this time I can't.. and it's a serious one..

So basically, this is what happened..
I've just "acquired" an untouched version of the Naruto Shippuden: Kizuna Drive and the Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Impact.. I tried playing it on my PSP2000 running 5.00 m33-6 and, of course, it didn't work. So I tried searching for a patch somewhere.. (I haven't been using my PSP for quite some time now..) I've stumbled upon this link:

http://forums.qj.net...es-all-cfw.html

I went ahead and tried the EDecrypt Tool Method.. and failed. (after the PSP logo appears, it won't load the game and just sends me back to the XMB.)
Next, I tried ISO Tool method.. and worked. I used v1.970 and used the Prometheus ME631.
...But the game keeps crashing after a while in both games.. It crashes after I've played for a few seconds. (When I skip the intros of the game and go through the menus fast enough, I can play the mission parts for about 3 seconds before it crashes.)

But my PSP already had problems before I played these 2 Naruto games.. I have 3 games in my PSP before I placed the Naruto games in my memstick. (God of War: Chains of Olympus, Dissidia: Final Fantasy, The 3rd Birthday) I started replaying God of War again a few days back. After playing for 1-2 hours, my PSP shuts down for some reason.. I thought it was a battery problem because I haven't used my PSP for a few months.. Also, when it shuts off, I can't seem to restart my PSP again unless I plug it to the charger..

- The first time I experienced this, I wasn't able to turn on my PSP after it crashed. So I plugged my PSP to the charger to see if it will charge. It did, so I waited for it to be fully charged again, even though I still had 2 bars worth of battery left before it crashed.
- After a while, I noticed that I don't really need to wait for my PSP to fully charge. It won't turn on after it crashes but it turns on after I plug it to the charger, even if it was just plugged-in for a few seconds. (I can either turn it on while the charger is still plugged-in or after plugging it for a few seconds then unplugging it.)

When I started playing the Naruto games and it crashes even after patching, I thought the problem was the battery.. So I tried playing it without the battery.. (To check if the problem is really the battery) and it still crashes..

I did some research and found out that Kizuna Drive needs 6.35, so I thought that the patches I used can't be applied to these games.. (I think the patches can only patch games up until 6.31? I'm not sure..) So this time, I assumed that it was the patch that's the problem.

But it got worse..

So I gave up on the Naruto games.. with the charger still plugged to my battery-less PSP, I turned it on, went to Games, and selected God of War.. After showing the main menu for about less than a second, it crashed. WTF!
So I tried it again. and it crashed again..
(Tried Dissidia too.. New game. it crashes after 2-3 seconds when fighting the first manikin in the tutorial at the start of the game..)

Is it hardware problems this time?.. Please help me.. :(
Also, sorry for the long post.. I just want to be as detailed as possible..)

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
DO you have any plugins enabled? If so, tell me which ones.
Regarding your battery issue, it looks like your battery's prolly derpy. You can get one of DX for 5 bucks.

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The solution is really simple. First make sure you buy a new battery I mean come on... its kind of obvious but secondly I would suggest you backup all your save files and such and completely frmat your memory card. After that try playing the game from a completely new save file and see if that helps.

Finally I'd highly recommend you update your M33 to 6.60 ME. I know you've stuck with M33 for a while because it works really well and trust me I was like that too but to be honest there's no reason not to upgrade. I can personally recommend neur0n's releases and you should have no problem upgrading and no reason to downgrade back to M33 either. Reason being at least you won't have to patch your isos and your system might be corrupted so a upgrade might fix it.

Regardless of what you decide I suggest you format your memory card and wipe your system settings. Try playing the game after that and if it fails then I'd say go ahead and upgrade. If you're a stickler about it not being a M33 release then reflash your PSP to M33-5.

jule_brianne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, fgghjjkll & Vanth88..

@ Vanth88 - I just went out to buy a new battery (actually, that's the first thing that I did so I can check if it's really the battery.. I also forgot to tell you guys that I formatted my memory stick (after making a back-up of every file I have, of course) just before I started using it again.. All I have in there now are a few PSP games and the ISO Tool.

@ fgghjjkll - I don't have any plugins enabled as of the moment.. I formatted the PSP just before I used it.. I wanted do re-organize the files in my PSP, it's so messed up since I haven't used it for a while.. (does VSH Menu count? although it's the default one that I didn't install..)

After buying a new battery (not an original one though..) I started playing my PSP with no issues whatsoever!... well, up until now, that is.
I started playing Naruto Shippuden: Kizuna Drive and Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Impact with no issues. no crashes. But I didn't really play them for long periods of time. (I played 30-45 minutes each game, I think..)
I haven't charged the battery before I used it. It had 2 bars when I bought it..

I decided to try out "Coded Arms: Contagion" and "Burnout Legends" so I plugged my PSP into my laptop and started the transfer.
The transfer was done, I unplugged the USB cord, then I selected Coded Arms and I started playing it.. (My PSP only had 1 bar left before I started the game..) The game started without a problem. I started a new game and I went to the tutorial.
Once the game finished loading, I started to make the character walk around. I'm not really planning to play the game, I just wanted to see if it works and was just testing it and all that..
about 5 minutes into the tutorial, my PSP crashed again! What's going on?..

I'm charging my PSP right now.. First thing I did when it crashed, I tried to turn it on again but it didn't work.. Next thing I did, I removed the battery from the battery slot, after a few seconds put it back again then tried to turn it on one more time.. but, again, it didn't work.
So I started charging it for now. It seems to be charging.. I'll wait for it to be fully charged before I try turning it on again.

If the problems still persist, I'll try Vanth88's suggestion and reflash it back to m33-5.
Sorry, I'm just being stubborn.. I know there isn't any real reason to stay in DA's outdated CFW, but I just don't want to upgrade (for reasons unknown.. lol)
I'll let you know what happens afterwards.. :)

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you also clear out you're settings before and after the reflash. I can't remember if this helps or not but there's no reason not to. Chances are a reflash and a new battery should fix anything corrupted within your PSP.

If all else fails try using an old PSP game that doesn't require any patching or stuff. Also I forgot to mention you should try changing the PSP ISO driver in case you forgot to do so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1