Hardware PSN and Xbox Live vs Nintendo Online Network?

atlboyz_247

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, what features does PSN and Xbox Live offer over Nintendo's Online service and vice versa as far as what's been posted on news websites?

AFAIK I've seen posts regarding:
  • Seamless Voice Chat services from PSN and Xbox Live vs Nintendo's new smartphone requirement for chat
  • Free Games Monthly (with PSN being slightly different and requiring a consistent membership to keep your games) vs Nintendo's SNES/NES monthly trials
  • Pricing for the service with PSN and Xbox Live being plenty more expensive than the new service for the Switch (free for Wii U as it was for the PS3 before the paid service).
  • Game sales for PSN being pretty frequent, occasional for Xbox, and nonexistent for Nintendo (opinion based)
  • Xbox Live and PSN downloads being easier to download from across different consoles vs the current style for 3DS/Wii U (opinion based)

Is there anything else that is missing?

Last edited by atlboyz_247,
Reactions: cvskid

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You pretty much nailed the differences. It seems Nintendo is going with Nintendo accounts instead of NNID for Switch, though, so I expect VC/eShop purchases will be tied to your account.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The fact that you get free games on psn is awesome, i wish they would give you games to keep on Nintendo
At least its free for a while
We definetly have to see more but the phone requirment is not cool, but once you use it will you be able to chat with headset?
Yeah I'm fairly certain a 3.5mm headset will work plugged into Switch or your smartphone, the app will just be for getting you into lobbies/groups with your friends.

There are already 3.5mm headsets available that state they're designed for Switch, so that's what I'm basing my assumption on.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know everyone crys and says how far behind nintendo is.
But for nintendo themself. This is a leap. They are finally getting on board.
And who knows the switch might launch and they see that people arent paying before of this and that. So they change up there stuff.

I would be great if you could keep the VC game each month.
But then again what if it works as gamefly. Each month you could pick your own game and play it all month long. Then next month you can pick another game or the same game.
Cause really how long do you play these VC games? And if you like them so much why not buy them?

But we will have to see what happens.
I do think its cool i can make an out of country ID and get games from there eshop.
I dont believe other systems do this.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Yeah I'm fairly certain a 3.5mm headset will work plugged into Switch or your smartphone, the app will just be for getting you into lobbies/groups with your friends.

There are already 3.5mm headsets available that state they're designed for Switch, so that's what I'm basing my assumption on.

Good news, I am tempted to get it at launch but im not sure if there will be a better version out? If not the price isnt fine, nintendo never upgrade their main console, GC, wii and wii u didnt get updates

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Good news, I am tempted to get it at launch but im not sure if there will be a better version out? If not the price isnt fine, nintendo never upgrade their main console, GC, wii and wii u didnt get updates
If Switch fails to sell well, Nintendo will just fall back on 3DS and the mobile market. If it does sell well, then I expect we might see some SCDs and price drops for the console down the line, but I don't think Nintendo is going to R&D an entirely new device. Switch is already designed with compromise between portability and power in every aspect.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

The Wii had two extra models.

Wii - No GC-BC
Wii - Mini

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

• Seamless Voice Chat services from PSN and Xbox Live vs Nintendo's new smartphone requirement for chat
And only usable between friends rather than everyone.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country

Wii - No GC-BC
Wii - Mini

And in the wii's case the first model was better than mini (no wifi) and the no gc version, hmm.... i have the money , i can get it at launch if i want, really tempted to, i am struggling to hack my Wii U also :D

S

Saiyan Lusitano

And in the wii's case the first model was better than mini (no wifi) and the no gc version, hmm.... i have the money , i can get it at launch if i want, really tempted to, i am struggling to hack my Wii U also :D
The only thing the Wii Mini has going for it is that it has a cool retro design. It reminds me of the Famicom but aside from the design, it's the worst Wii model to actually use.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
The only thing the Wii Mini has going for it is that it has a cool retro design. It reminds me of the Famicom but aside from the design, it's the worst Wii model to actually use.

If it wasnt £60 for Zelda id be thinking of getting it, is it $60 or $80 for zelda in USA?

atlboyz_247

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well we don't know about the new service, but there were plenty of sales on the Eshop.

As mentioned above, I'm glad Nintendo does have sales! I was assuming they didn't actually have as many sales because I frequently see PSN sales every other week (as frequently as Steam if I may say so myself), but as infrequently as I see eShop sales, it's the same case with the Xbox Marketplace.

Wii - No GC-BC
Wii - Mini

I think this is the case because it costs more money out of pocket without the support of their investors looking at the mobile market, so the mobile solution tackles this(using Nintendo's investor funds where it is seeked), and connections between strangers are also more variable in connection while already having to connect them together in the video game...Idk how to legitimize that...they're probably doing it down the line. Just that developing a new mobile solution has a start -> 'friends only b/c this is too new to have everyone in a game all chatting at once' makes enough sense for me.

On a separate note,
Compromises happen as companies are looking to make profits with low costs, while chances are frowned upon highly.

As far as my opinion goes for this, I don't use online multiplayer aspects of PSN and Live, but if we can look at Nintendo's approach, I feel like it can be interpreted as a retry at the online services system while lightly taking chances with everything with the Switch.

People in my opinion are more inclined to buy Online Services for the multiplayer aspects, because it enhances the gaming experience holistically for a good time with friends (and maybe make new friends), but in the way that it is being advertised now, the approach to put a price on these services hinges more on the side of a competition between the 'best' service to get more people on their subscription with incentives for the people such as improved servers for seamless functionality (as opposed to online services during the early PS3 days --- arguably not bad, but people have to admit that this was a problem so Sony took on Microsoft's approach), free games, seamless chats with friends/strangers, sharing streams and gameplay, lower rates for sales, and payment for extra niche functionality in the future (like Share Play on the PS4...I like to assume a lot of things). A gamer's dream in a way since they're paving innovation for the online services...lol...I can't say that with a straight face since PC peeps get all of the above for free (PC master race :P) except the free games thing though...and that's how I see Nintendo's approach.

With Nintendo's approach to this particular area, their whole infrastructure in general needs a bump up or an upgrade of sorts. Someone at the company was probably pressed to find a solution to improve upon the online services that currently exist, but seeing as that costs money (and companies hate having to cough up funds...), they are pressed to do subscriptions for infrastructure improvements and this has to actually make them money so it has be a low enough cost that people buy into it. This seems to partially explain why there aren't going to be free games on the new service (if this rumor is assumed to be true) and free trials are going to be phased in (Steam has a something like this where games are playable for the weekend and it works out pretty okay with them, but obviously, not nearly as popular as Sony's and Microsoft's implementations) -> because it costs money out of pocket for the company. They also don't have to develop a audio infrastructure for online services quite yet since they're probably going to use the future subscriptions to pay for these additions (mic support, talk with strangers, free games) in the future before driving the prices up (you know...when they become reputable enough in the online service community and have regulars) and for now it seems that investors have maybe had an impact on higher ups at Nintendo to push for using actual funds on developing mic tech for the Switch for mobile (which also partially explains why this exists on mobile rather than it being on the handheld?) to drive up investor support seeing as they're listening to the investors. Maybe eventually they'd add new things to the online services community that we haven't seen before (highly unlikely...).

TLDR The whole block of test is most entirely opinion based...Nintendo's online is like Sony's entry into online services but with company costs in mind. Substantial enough for the moment, but as the customers flow in and money flow assured, bang, more features will probably rise like Sony and Microsoft now.

God do I wish they'd have a system like the others where we have 1 account for all of our games and being simple to download across multiple systems :yayps3::yayone:

The thread more or less was made because I was curious how close my opinion is to what is actually happening.:toot:

Last edited by atlboyz_247,

atlboyz_247

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st a ps4/xbox vs switch thread and now this...
stop making these idiotic threads! :whip:

It doesn't seem idiotic? If anything, I feel like it was more of a thread title mistake...less of a PSN VERSUS NINTENDO and more of 'How does Nintendo's online services compare with that of their competition?' and there isn't pages and pages of 'cancerous' discussion.

This also was before the other thread js.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
NOBODY FUCKING KNOWS YET!

so how can you maker a topic comparing different online systems when there is absolutely no info given yet about switches online?

a8kbd.jpg

pfffft fucking newbs.

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

atlboyz_247

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NOBODY FUCKING KNOWS YET!

so how can you maker a topic comparing different online systems when there is absolutely no info given yet about switches online?

a8kbd.jpg

pfffft fucking newbs.

? I guess they're not very comparable yet, but the speculation is valid enough through their current online service system and what is actually announced.

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

The link above tells you about their new service line.

The comparisons I've made aren't baseless as they do have services available now for the Wii U and 3DS, and discussion about making comparisons between services should also be okay IMO since you know...there is truth in what already exists and what they're announcing (they'd at least have an idea of what they're going to give users if they had experience with game and console development, no?). Should things change about the service, such is a thing that'd be discussed as discussions are adaptable and not barbaric and hindering.

No hate given here, just want to see what others think.
(As the other threads on this Sub Forum, I think I've given plenty of facts while stating what my opinion is from them. Should be nothing wrong...)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-