Hacking PSA: PLEASE SHOW MORE RESPECT TO DEVELOPERS

Zeroba

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, loyal Ps Vita scene. I'm rather new to this homebrew stuff, but I can tell when a black cloud is looming.
Over the past few days there's been nothing but clamouring for piracy, people begging for backups without even thinking of the people either developing the tools to make this possible, or thinking of all the other developers making amazing homebrew for the platform that allows (Unintentionally) your greedy piracy.

This is the kind of thing that is going to kill the scene and cause developers to leave, plenty of which already have.

I understand everyone is excited for the possibility of playing games they've never played before on their Vita, but please also remember the work amazing devs like Rinnegatamante for example are doing. (Many other amazing devs, just one that came to mind immediately.)
We have amazing support for open source ports, emulators, quality of life tools and homebrew games. Please don't let their hard work be for nothing. Stop demanding so much, please be thankful for what you have.
Remember that these people are not paid to make you software. They do it for their own enjoyment and to make the scene a better place.
Piracy is getting way too much attention and it's already affecting some homebrew devs.
There's only so many games that will be released for the vita, even less now that piracy is possible, but with homebrew devs that number could be infinite.
I'm begging you, vita scene, respect the developers no matter what they developed and do not let this magical scene die before it even has a chance to properly spread its wings.

Yours truly- A worried scene enthusiast
(I'm not saying I'm a golden child, I've pirated before. If you did or didn't pirate isn't the point of this post.)

Last edited by Zeroba,

Zeroba

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I agree, but so far I've noticed it mostly consisting of happy, willing developers (Perhaps some that enjoy drama. Not my place to say) followed by greedy, malicious, common sense-lacking leechers begging for MORE and MORE.
I understand it's only natural to want more, but there's a difference between suggestions and demands.
I'm seeing a lot of demands.

Reactions: Abu_Senpai

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Hello, loyal Ps Vita scene. I'm rather new to this homebrew stuff, but I can tell when a black cloud is looming.
Over the past few days there's been nothing but clamouring for piracy, people begging for backups without even thinking of the people either developing the tools to make this possible, or thinking of all the other developers making amazing homebrew for the platform that allows (Unintentionally) your greedy piracy.

This is the kind of thing that is going to kill the scene and cause developers to leave, plenty of which already have.

I understand everyone is excited for the possibility of playing games they've never played before on their Vita, but please also remember the work amazing devs like Rinnegatamante for example are doing. (Many other amazing devs, just one that came to mind immediately.)
We have amazing support for open source ports, emulators, quality of life tools and homebrew games. Please don't let their hard work be for nothing. Stop demanding so much, please be thankful for what you have.
Remember that these people are not paid to make you software. They do it for their own enjoyment and to make the scene a better place.
Piracy is getting way too much attention and it's already affecting some homebrew devs.
There's only so many games that will be released for the vita, even less now that piracy is possible, but with homebrew devs that number could be infinite.
I'm begging you, vita scene, respect the developers no matter what they developed and do not let this magical scene die before it even has a chance to properly spread its wings.

Yours truly- A worried scene enthusiast
(I'm not saying I'm a golden child, I've pirated before. If you did or didn't pirate isn't the point of this post.)

Just who are you exactly? As optimus prime would say "theres more to you than meets the eye"XD

Nice post though dude and its true. Next to no people respect the devs who make all of the homebrew and tools for the vita. However unfortunately not all of them will be swayed by a simple post
Yet at least you can reach the few who arent self serving

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I completely agree. Devs who pour their hours into making something should be upset if people don't appreciate that and be greedy.
It might be hypocritical for me to say that since I'm talking about the recent events with Vitamin. Piracy of course is like a big slap to the face of the studio who made the software. A leak of unfinished software, however, I feel is lower than piracy. It's pretty much saying "I don't care if you want a proper release or what you want to do with your code, I'm giving this to everyone because you OWE us something." I just find it to be extremely distasteful to leak something.

Reactions: Abu_Senpai

nxtgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I completely agree. Devs who pour their hours into making something should be upset if people don't appreciate that and be greedy.
It might be hypocritical for me to say that since I'm talking about the recent events with Vitamin. Piracy of course is like a big slap to the face of the studio who made the software. A leak of unfinished software, however, I feel is lower than piracy. It's pretty much saying "I don't care if you want a proper release or what you want to do with your code, I'm giving this to everyone because you OWE us something." I just find it to be extremely distasteful to leak something.

The makers of vitamin were greedy making something to take money from devs pockets

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sony pretty much themselves said that the vita is dead. Its doing okay in Japan, but not nearly as much as the 3ds

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
If there's one thing the Wii U has taught me; it's that the best response to this post is "good luck with that". You'll always get people demanding, disrespecting and telling you the scene is dead. The mark of a good scene is having people that hold on anyway and make up for the unsavoury ones; maybe even overtaking them, turning the scene into a net positive. Good luck; it'll take some serious maturity to deal with the noobs that come once piracy is available, and it'll take some love to hold onto the more flaky developers. Word of advice - As a developer, I can tell you that we generally like ego-boosts, genuine emotion, random anonymous PayPal donations (even small ones, it's the notification email that counts) and help with code (you may have to convince someone to write a development tutorial first). Good luck to you all and I hope to see your scene flourish.

aljpn91

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
there's only one person to blame here, and that is the leaker
if it wasn't for him none of this would have happened and we would have seen a proper release from the devs

edit: it's getting released tonight yay

Last edited by aljpn91,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He says tonight, and its 2:50 am where I am haha. I've been waiting for the proper release so I could compare the leak to it. Maybe it'll be there when I wake up. Love that TheFlow isn't letting this stop him.

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
>Piracy is getting way too much attention

It has always been the case with every single platform, and it's actually the reason why most scenes became amazing (e.g. the 3DS). Telling people to not pay attention to piracy is basically killing the scene, as it's why most people actually hack their consoles for.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I agree OP, yet there will be always Joe Public idiots that taint the scene with their ignorance and be never thankful for anything. You see enough of it here already.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
I buy a console to play games on it, not a shitty port of pong

It's that attitude that makes it tough for homebrew to move beyond pong. I know it's hard for a non-developer to understand, but imagine you're learning a new language. If you decide that "I started learning to read Shakespeare, not learn the word for 'hello'!" you aren't going to get very far. Now imagine that the person teaching you that language is figuring it out from scratch based on other languages and a few chips from the Rosetta Stone while trying to dodge ancient curses, social stigma and a weird tendency for the language to change whenever the gods realise they've made progress. They don't know much more than "hello" themselves and here you are complaining because there's no Shakespeare translation. [In case that metaphor got a bit lost; Rosetta Stone = IDA, ancient curses = Cease and Desists, social stigma = "damn hackers/pirates", language changing = software updates, etc. Shakespeare can be a backup loader or homebrew, your choice.]

It takes time and support for stuff like this to happen, and complaining is only going to demotivate those putting that time in. If games are so important that you can't wait for homebrew to mature, why not just pay for them?

Anyway, this isn't a thread about the ins and outs of piracy but about respecting developers (specifically Vita devs whom I know nothing about <3) so if the piracy conversation could end here that'd be great. I understand you probably won't agree with me on that last point but I feel the rest still stands so if we can keep on-topic and talk about that instead that'd be good.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Problem nowadays is more people on the web.
Easier access to sites like this which means more hacked consoles.
This also means that more people are pirating and the majority of those people are whiny little bitches.

Fact is, no matter with what, there's always people who will disrepect others.
Only thing you yourself can do is be nice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.