• The user, not using an open sorce CFW

Votes: 147 38.0%

• Total voters

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I really wonder if the DSTWO+ users will now complain to SuperCard and ask for a refund for their console.

I mean, SuperCard should be held responsible here. So SuperCard should be giving refunds
if they cheap out on taking on a dev to make their own FW i doubt they will want to cough up for repairs

loco365

Trophies
XP
I really wonder if the DSTWO+ users will now complain to SuperCard and ask for a refund for their console.

I mean, SuperCard should be held responsible here. So SuperCard should be giving refunds
Exactly. In reality, it's SuperCard's fault for piggybacking off GW's code in the first place instead of writing their own code, considering there's tons of open-source options already that they could have just gone and used. People that initially pre-ordered the card didn't know that it'd be using GW's code, so it's not the end user's fault because of that.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One advantage I could see is that flashcards allow you to play games directly from Slot-1. Copy roms to microSD card and you're done, you can play them.
Granted, it is a bit more of a hassle when it comes to online play, because you have to mess with dumping headers from one of your games and apply them to your roms, when .cias will just work online without any problems and are pretty much undetectable (I read on here that there was still a way Nintendo could detect private headers used on the wrong game, for example Steel Diver header on SSB4, but they have yet to act on it.)

I mean, they both have their ups and downs, flashcards let you play the games right away just from putting them on your microSD card, but online play is a hassle and can be risky business.
.cias can take forever to install (several hours, especially if you have a lot of games), but online play is pretty much guaranteed to work without running the risk of getting banned (I guess maybe unless they can check your 3DS's header and see if your 3DS is associated with a purchase of the game you are playing.)

Now, under normal circumstances, you would probably only have to install your .cias once and you're good, but sometimes you might have to re-install them a few times (I've fiddled with my setup a bit and had to re-install games a few times over the course of several weeks, which took a few hours every time) but the average user will probably only have to install them once.

There's also the advantage that CFW is almost completely free (you might need other things such as a DS flashcard or OOT/CN depending on your setup), while flashcards require you to spend money on buying their card. But I don't think the price should be considered when comparing them, because while flashcards have a high cost while CFW only has minimal costs, flashcards have the advantage of convenience, in a way.

Then you have >9.3 users which don't have a choice other than using a flashcard (Sky3DS), because nothing else will work. :P

Installing .cias through cfws is really not much of a hassle, I usually do the installing of many titles at once and have them install overnight while I sleep. Now I haven't messed with adjusting gateway titles to play online, but from what I've heard it sounds like much more of a hassle than just setting your system to install titles while you sleep.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installing .cias through cfws is really not much of a hassle, I usually do the installing of many titles at once and have them install overnight while I sleep. Now I haven't messed with adjusting gateway titles to play online, but from what I've heard it sounds like much more of a hassle than just setting your system to install titles while you sleep.
Its like 5 mouse click to patch a rom for Gateway cards

D

Deleted-236924

It can be a hassle because you have to wait so much longer before having to start playing, while with a flashcard, just pop them in and you can start right away once the files are done copying over.
I'll compare it to the day-one Wii U system update that was required to start using your Wii U when you bought it, even though installing 3DS .cias is not the same as Wii U system menu updates. Sure, you can just leave it on to install while you sleep or while you do something else, but I think a lot of people would rather just be able to start playing with their new toy right away.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its like 5 mouse click to patch a rom for Gateway cards

Ya and you have to do that for every title you want to play online, I have a LOT of 3DS titles I play online, it just sounds like a stupid needless extra few steps to get each game properly working. Sure installing titles through cfw can take some time, but there's less to it than even five mouse clicks, especially if you can do something else while your 3DS handles the installation(s).

Really, though, both methods aren't hard, so the perceived convenience of gateway over cfw at this time is truly lost on me.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It can be a hassle because you have to wait so much longer before having to start playing, while with a flashcard, just pop them in and you can start right away once the files are done copying over.
I'll compare it to the day-one Wii U system update that was required to start using your Wii U when you bought it, even though installing 3DS .cias is not the same as Wii U system menu updates. Sure, you can just leave it on to install while you sleep or while you do something else, but I think a lot of people would rather just be able to start playing with their new toy right away.

But my entire point is that waiting is not a hassle at all, especially if your smart about how you do it, I do new installations in batches of multiple titles all set to install while I go to bed at night, if that truly is a hassle for someone, then I suspect that we are talking about a person with next to no patience. Certainly the type of person I'm not, nor one that I tend to associate with either.

D

Deleted-236924

Maybe, but I was only pointing out reasons why someone would choose to get a GW rather than just use a CFW. There are reasons, and it's fine if it isn't something you feel you would want.

Reactions: Nightwish

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe, but I was only pointing out reasons why someone would choose to get a GW rather than just use a CFW. There are reasons, and it's fine if it isn't something you feel you would want.

My ultimate point is, whatever features that make gateway "better" than a cfw at this point, just isn't worth it. You'll ultimately be able to play the same games through either method, and at least there is no shady history with any cfws purposely bricking users' 3DS consoles. I've been wary of Gateway ever since brickgate (I think that's what we called it), and now with more news of new clones bricking again just reinforces my beliefs. Let's not forget that the first time this happened, even a handful of genuine gateway users and not clone users were also bricked. So the fact that gateway is still exercising this clone bricking practice continues to feed into my losing trust in the product and brand as a whole.

Last edited by duffmmann,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Unlike other clones the DSTWO+ is updateable so Gateway could have bricked the card instead of the console. Bricking the users console is pretty low blow especially if they could have bricked the clone instead.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

GameSystem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unlike other clones the DSTWO+ is updateable so Gateway could have bricked the card instead of the console. Bricking the users console is pretty low blow especially if they could have bricked the clone instead.
They went over this in the original thread. If they only brick the card, the user will just buy another DS2, thus giving that company more profit. The only way to strike a blow is to kill the system.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They went over this in the original thread. If they only brick the card, the user will just buy another DS2, thus giving that company more profit. The only way to strike a blow is to kill the system.

That's incredibly stupid, who buys something, sees its been purposely deactivated, and then thinks, "hey I'll buy that exact same product again, no way that the same deactivation issue could happen again!"?

Really all gateway would need to do is brick the clone's card as explained above and when it occurs, display a message saying "This card is a clone and has been deactivated. To avoid this issue, only use the original 3DS flash card: Gateway"

Punish the companys stealing your product, not the user who may well be unaware the flash card they are using is just a clone.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How sure are all of you, that the CFWs are built from scratch, without using of GW's code that may still contain the brick code??
Because they are all open source :teach:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

That's incredibly stupid, who buys something, sees its been purposely deactivated, and then thinks, "hey I'll buy that exact same product again, no way that the same deactivation issue could happen again!"?

Really all gateway would need to do is brick the clone's card as explained above and when it occurs, display a message saying "This card is a clone and has been deactivated. To avoid this issue, only use the original 3DS flash card: Gateway"

Punish the companys stealing your product, not the user who may well be unaware the flash card they are using is just a clone.
That comment was pure speculation we don't even know if its possible to brick the card itself only Gateway would know.

Reactions: Queno138

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
And that's your reason for killing the system? Let's face it both steal and/or enable people to steal work so none is better than the other. Trying to protect your product which in turn can enable others to steal is just ridiculous.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How sure are all of you, that the CFWs are built from scratch, without using of GW's code that may still contain the brick code??

Ask the people here that made those cfws, they aren't doing what gateway does. Beyond that, there have been zero instances of gateway bricking any cfw. And yeah, they're also open source haha.

Last edited by duffmmann,
Reactions: Queno138

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I understand Gateway wanting to protect their property, purposefully destroying a person's 3DS is inexcusable.
They gave a warning, the community gave a warning, people just like to shoot themselves in the foot for some reason maybe they are sadists?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol