Hacking Discussion PSA: Do not update to a new firmware immediately (e.g. 6.0)

WiikeyHacker

Natsumi Naga
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
only thing i modded my switch with was a better cooling solution and bigger memory come at me nintendo i bought your damn system so legally i should be able to do what the hell i want with it , i havent even updated to 11.8 on my 6 3ds's and don't plan to either.

Reactions: naddel81

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Peteruk
Q/ Quick question for people who are banned / super banned
Are you able to access the News applet and load any of the videos ?
(Kheops)
R/ Peteruk no...
Any connection on nintendo servers are cut, your nand is backlisted on nintendo servers...
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub-warning.508710/page-89

peteruk
Q/ Are you able to access 'News' on the home screen with your super ban ?
(AecdArmy).
R/ You can't. You can't use anything that needs a dauth token
https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-do-not-update-to-a-new-firmware-immediately-e-g-6-0.516497/page-12

Thanks for confirming that. I had asked on the official banned thread but the only one to answer was a non banned person and was wanting to hear from a banned person
News is a nice easy way to check if banned

I think the person must be me peteruk
But ask confirmation is all in your honor

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Beat? I don't go to war
Fight nintendo? Why fight when I bought a switch console, and it's nintendo that makes aaa cool games.
Just that it is more tolerant with homebrews, which confirm to me here that played 100% homebrews emulator does not make us banish? As I saw on a post on gba temp...?

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Peteruk
Q/ Quick question for people who are banned / super banned
Are you able to access the News applet and load any of the videos ?
(Kheops)
R/ Peteruk no...
Any connection on nintendo servers are cut, your nand is backlisted on nintendo servers...
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-banning-hub-warning.508710/page-89

peteruk
Q/ Are you able to access 'News' on the home screen with your super ban ?
(AecdArmy).
R/ You can't. You can't use anything that needs a dauth token
https://gbatemp.net/threads/psa-do-not-update-to-a-new-firmware-immediately-e-g-6-0.516497/page-12

Thanks for confirming that. I had asked on the official banned thread but the only one to answer was a non banned person and was wanting to hear from a banned person
News is a nice easy way to check if banned

I think the person must be me peteruk
But ask confirmation is all in your honor

Not sure what you want me to say ?

Anyway, try popping outside once in a while, there's a real world out there to be enjoyed :)

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Don't get me wrong, nothing bad here, just that there were still the 2 pages open on my google browser, on my android console, so I saw the post refresh and see this
I work outside all week (hiking environment mountain quality of water..), but you are right the earth is beautiful and stop throwing your beer cans in the nature, that is more important than the ban nintendo ah ah!

Last edited by KHEOPS,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol no. Nintendo wants to prevent privacy, right? Now, they will release 6.0 update, which will prevent privacy

At the same time they superbanned my console, which will prevent all update, meaning: my switch will always be able to do privacy. Why? Because of Nintendo!
Nintendo actually made sure that I will always be able to play privacy on the superbanned switch, that’s why „Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.“

Right, keep believing that. You knew the risks, and now you have to pay for it, deal with it

YeetedOn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lol no. Nintendo wants to prevent privacy, right? Now, they will release 6.0 update, which will prevent privacy

At the same time they superbanned my console, which will prevent all update, meaning: my switch will always be able to do privacy. Why? Because of Nintendo!
Nintendo actually made sure that I will always be able to play privacy on the superbanned switch, that’s why „Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.“

So you are basically saying Nintendo shouldn't have banned you for pirating all of their games? Well, you probably should already know by now that piracy will lead you to ban.

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello to all
Important question
Who can certify me that launched retroarch on nintendo switch, does not lead you to a ban? We talk about ban or superban, but only about those who launch nsp or xci, but if it's 100℅ homebrew?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Nothing has changed. 6.0 won't stop piracy, you will be able to install 6.0 anyway & you will still be banned.

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello to all
Important question
Who can certify me that launched retroarch on nintendo switch, does not lead you to a ban? We talk about ban or superban, but only about those who launch nsp or xci, but if it's 100℅ homebrew?
1 person got banned for 100% homebrew setup, however, they cleared log on 5.x, which was proven unsafe.

So, in theory, no one got banned for homebrew only.

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok so can I tell my friends,ok man no problem,you can play as much as you want a retroarch,you won't be ban,what's weird is that retroarch has always logged what happens crash or whatever,seen on android many times,just a message that warns you want to forward you application crash logs,so retroarch ported to switch lakka ,or retronx,won't do anything in case of crash,like it happened to me on my switch (which no longer saw online)
I'd really like to believe you, but if the retroarch port didn't undergo any modification ( to not generate a log)
So I don't think nintendo let you play nes and neogeo, while they sell their roms on the eshop, and close sites for copyright games.

Last edited by KHEOPS,

Omer

Trophies
XP
Country
if we want to play files downloaded from CDN program in v.6.0 fw in the future... does that require patching the file downloaded itself or patching the firmware

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok so can I tell my friends,ok man no problem,you can play as much as you want a retroarch,you won't be ban,what's weird is that retroarch has always logged what happens crash or whatever,seen on android many times,just a message that warns you want to forward you application crash logs,so retroarch ported to switch lakka ,or retronx,won't do anything in case of crash,like it happened to me on my switch (which no longer saw online)
I'd really like to believe you, but if the retroarch port didn't undergo any modification ( to not generate a log)
So I don't think nintendo let you play nes and neogeo, while they sell their roms on the eshop, and close sites for copyright games.
creport redirect crashes on the sd card. This is the safest you could get with a 100% homebrew setup.
Also, don't compare android crashes with crashes from the switch.

However, it could change in the future, tho nintendo has almost no reasons to ban people using homebrew and buying games (except maybe emulators?).

Draxzelex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if we want to play files downloaded from CDN program in v.6.0 fw in the future... does that require patching the file downloaded itself or patching the firmware
All CFW patch the firmware of the device although depending on how you interpret CFW, its either modifying the current firmware (customized firmware) or replacing it entirely (custom firmware). All CFW except Atmosphere fall under the former (which is only just ReiNX and S OS, RajNX is a pre-compiled version of Atmosphere plus Hekate and some IPS patches). When Nintendo changes their firmware such as through a firmware update, occasionally the patches break because they're based on earlier versions of the firmware. We can't predict what Nintendo will change but devs can try their best at future proofing their work. And when their work does break, they can easily update their work much like Nintendo updates their firmware.

tl;dr We're going to be patching the firmware which technically means we're patching the files we download but after they are installed into the console.

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheers for the correction, good learn these things. Has anyone tried spoofing the tls-cert? I guess you'd need to figure out the algorythm and hopefully come up with a tls-cert generator for that to be viable too...

You're not spoofing tls-certificates. The signing key for this isn't even a 'real' thing to leak, its basically impossible to ever find or get a hold of, and even if you somehow managed to accomplish this feat of corporate espionage the tls-cert has to be accepted on Nintendo's end as well which they would only do if they made the cert themselves.

Reactions: mariogamer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I'm avoiding buying from the big 3 at all atm
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    At one point PC game pads where poorly supported, loading a game had setup, it was complicated. Now it's almost as easy as a console.
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    nintendo needs to up their game soon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah even bt support for Xbox one controllers are just as easy as pairing
    +1
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    considering the steamdeck can emulate the switch (yikes) theres almost 0 reason to buy the switch apart from playing online and using cartridges
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Xinput and 360 dongles were a driver nightmare
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not
    Yeah the 360 dongles sucked
    But the new Xbox pads? PIr it up and if a game supports it it just works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Most emulators even automatically detect them now
    Yeah it's a good time to be alive lol
    Pi4 and Batocera works with them perfectly too
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see future tap to pair options like you hold it over a scanner and it just automatically pairs
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No need for additional cords buttons or anything
    Hmmm yeah that is possible BT has an address like an IP
    Scan a QR code on your phone open a page with the controller and a QR code for the device, hit go and done
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One less latency issue for radio frequency
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or even wifi pair opening just an app to sign is nice
    Yeah it could be hosted on the phone hmmm it's an idea Ken
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But could be bad for people with lower speeds but how many mbs would it really need to detect a button press
    Nearly nothing
    Most of it BT used
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's how I pair with uremum, I wave a $5 bill across her face, and instant link.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, lol