Hardware PSA: A possible method to fix joycon wiggle.

Skanob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As I have posted this in reddit:

I am not sure if this is common knowledge already, but I thought of sharing it to the community.

Refer to image for references, taken from ifixit, disregard red circles, be extremely careful on doing this. You're own responsibility.

Required steps:
  1. You need only to remove the back cover (may void your warranty)
  2. Adjust the hinges (push against the yellow arrow, as a counter pressure, as you push the blue arrows outside the switch, these are the hinges that holds the joycon against the rails)

r/NintendoSwitch - PSA: A possible method to fix joycon wiggle.
loose hinge, you have

As you know, joycon wiggle is a very common problem. Looking closely at my disassembled switch (while I replace the thermal compound, removing copper shim), I noticed the hinges, and thought of taking my chances.

NOTE: there are 2 pairs of hinges on a single rail, with this method, the adjustment is done towards to the hinge that holds the joycon against gravity (pushes the joycon towards you, better!) on each pair.

Et voila! The joycons against the rails are TIGHT as how its meant to be! No more wiggle, not as bad as before. As a backstory, my switch is one of the first releases.

Please let me know your results if you'll try it.

EDIT: Are these called latches or hinges?

EDITEDIT: I actually put electric tape on the bottom of the rails too (before). But do realise that with that method, you're basically pushing the joycon track AWAY from the joycon shell itself. Upon changing my joycon shell, I realised that that wouldn't be the best solution, as the joycon tracks are not that sturdy screwed on to it.

With this method, the joycon tracks of the joycon is being pushed against the joycon rail on the switch itself, just like how its meant to be (I believe).

I already have removed the tape from the bottom rails.

Last edited by Skanob,
Reactions: hippy dave

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
or just get the hori split pad pro because the issue just gets worse and worse with the controllers disconnecting from a slight wiggle on top of the issue of joycon drift. I did use the tape trick until I finally got tired of dealing with the joycons in general

Reactions: Skanob

Skanob

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
or just get the hori split pad pro because the issue just gets worse and worse with the controllers disconnecting from a slight wiggle on top of the issue of joycon drift. I did use the tape trick until I finally got tired of dealing with the joycons in general
Or... that too. To avoid the problem altogether. :rofl2:

To be fair, the latest trick for the joycon drifts seems to have fixed my problem with the original joycons, 2ply of electric tape seems to be just the right thickness for mine.

LyuboA

Unknown Entity
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
i've been doing this for over 2 years now on over 10 different Switch consoles and its Always temporary there are a somewhat permanent fix with piece of tape but not at the bottom but in the middle of the rail

Kallim

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This worked for me 2 ply electrical tape. If you put it in the middle does it not come off? I'm thinking it could drop down the gap.

Attachments

• IMG_20211024_102817.jpg
    IMG_20211024_102817.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 77

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto