OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I lack the time to do a proper USN/news article so I will stick it here instead
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/ps4-gallery/#slideid-86211
Thanks to Thug on IRC for pointing me towards that.

Some nice pictures, I would like higher res but I can not have everything it seems.

The battery being possibly hard to replace (though modern batteries are not bad) and the CPU/APU thing being in the middle of a board does not seem ideal (though I have no idea how good the underside support is) and by the sounds of things they have some mechanical engineers doing what they do best for this, to say nothing of the fact that nobody wants to revisit YLOD/RROD. To that end I am far more likely to question any lasers in the optical drive at this point in time as far as reliability goes.
It looks like a can around the device rather than a socket which could be interesting, I wonder if it is just due diligence or they actually had problems.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the main board looks very clean and simple.

Yeah probably the only components that might have reliability issues would be the laser and possibly the GDDR5 (but the RAM thing I doubt, I have an old Radeon 4870 with 1GB of GDDR5 and it's once of those IceQ models that comes factory overclocked and it still is chugging along just fine.)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Somewhat sad to see they still use blower fan, but other than that it looks very clean and simple. Design looks like a PS3 Slim motherboard, except it is single chip now.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Note the heatpipes connecting the radiator and the heatspreader. Clearly a lot of thought went into the "cooling" part of the design.

Sony has been in the console game since 1994, and the electronics industry even before that. It makes sense that they know how to design hardware, whereas when the 360 came out, Microsoft was still a bit wet behind the ears, only having made the Xbox previously.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sony has been in the console game since 1994, and the electronics industry even before that. It makes sense that they know how to design hardware, whereas when the 360 came out, Microsoft was still a bit wet behind the ears, only having made the Xbox previously.

I think it's mostly the experiences they had with the PS3's poor cooling that lead to this design choice more than anything else - they don't want another YLOD situation to happen this time around.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Note the heatpipes connecting the radiator and the heatspreader. Clearly a lot of thought went into the "cooling" part of the design.

I also noticed that there is no copper in it :(

Probably not a problem but the PC enthusiast in me says it needs some copper to drop the temps a bit more. lol

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I also noticed that there is no copper in it :(

Probably not a problem but the PC enthusiast in me says it needs some copper to drop the temps a bit more. lol

It does, but it also inflates the price. In the context of an APU that's a "mobile" designs on steroids, I doubt it'll need that much cooling.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
I think it's mostly the experiences they had with the PS3's poor cooling that lead to this design choice more than anything else - they don't want another YLOD situation to happen this time around.

YLOD was still pretty isolated compared to RROD though, and was fixed in later iterations of the PS3.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cooling design on PS3 FAT is actually pretty good (even better than Slim, which has very little ventilation hole).

Problem is poor ball soldering back then (combined with very inefficient PSU). It took a while for Sony to polished its soldering procedure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and normal grapes