Hardware PS3 SuperSlim - Any benefit to using a CAT6 over a CAT5E Cable?

Barrons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

i know the ps3 is now an old bit of kit but does any one know if the ethernet socket on the ps3 super slim will support the speeds of a cat6 cable for transferring data to the device?

i cant seem to find online the speed of the ethernet socket installed in the ps3.

some have said no difference between cat5e or cat6 cable on ps4 even. might aswell use cat5e as cheaper.

any ideas or anyone using a cat6 cable currently?

deisuke1234

Trophies
XP
Country
i would rather use CAT5 since CAT6 would be a overkill for a ps3. Also i kinda think you also awnser your own question even if it feels no diffrent with a ps4 than ps3 who is a much weaker console would also give you that same feeling. So in conclusion go for a CAT5 and the only console where i can think of when CAT6 would be very useful might be when ps5 or something like that gets relased.

contezero

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The ps3 has a gigabit ethernet, like the ps4 so, in theory, you should use a cat 6 to achieve the maximum speed. But all your network should be gigabit certified: every switch, plug, cable, also inside the walls; your broadband modem must be gigabit capable, you should have a gigabit internet subscriptionand, in the end, all the servers you want to connect to should be able to provide you data at that speed. It could be useful if you have a jailbroken ps3 or ps4 and want to transfer huge amount of data from your computer to the console. In that case you only need one cat6 cable.

barronwaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Theoretically - unless you have some pretty unique cable runs, no.

In reality it's not going to matter either way - I can't see a PS3 realistically saturating a fast ethernet connection, let alone a gigabit one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o