Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shakraka said:
Jiggah said:
raulpica said:
Okay, before all of you start jumping into your pants, it's a hardware exploit.

It's not even confirmed to be working, even if it's likely.

This doesn't load backups. Nor it's certain that it could lead to the development of a software hack and/or a backup loader.

It's highly possible for a backup loader to be developed from this since he states that this pretty much allows you full access to the system. Also, from what I've heard it only works on FATs, as it needs the Other OS to do the hack.
I might be forgetting something here, but, how are we going to play PS3 games that are larger than 4GB in size off of external hard drives? And even then, I'm not sure though, I heard that the PS3 doesn't recognize NTFS. I could be wrong. In fact, I think I am wrong., but whatever, tell me I'm wrong. (please)

How are games played off an external on the Wii? How are games installed on the PS3? It would seem they use their own file system, which can be cracked, especially since they released some PS3 games on direct download. Even if it wasn't through the hard drive why not blu-ray? Additionally, not all games actually fit an entire blu-ray and it could be possible to enable some sort of dvd playback. That's beyond the scope of this exploit at this point though, but it's definitely a first step to playing backups.

Nottulys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope we can get some sort of eLoader soon, so I can play some Homebrew/Emulators, and some different file formats like .mkv's

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
George, 2 questions:

1- Why did you give up retireving keys?
2- What do you think about qID's statement?

Thanks.
-------------------------------

because im playing my xbox 360

had a good laugh.

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, he ran into a brick wall like everyone else and released what little he had just to say "told ya guys i hacked it!". He is NOT the first person to access full hyper visor. Many others have gotten exactly where he is now, and still dont have jack to show for it. One of the people who wrote the CELL security at IBM commented about this exploit and just laughed, since you can do literally nothing with it, you dont have the key to the vault, you have nothing.

If you guys are waiting for big things to come from this, then LOL, you guys are going to be waiting a long time. He has accomplished nothing.

ohoni

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it's cool that the PS3 might be hackable, but in practical terms, I'm probably not going to be downloading 30GB+ games any time soon one way or the other. It think thast's their best piracy-protection feature.
wink.gif

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Fakie! said:
I might choose a PS3 over an Xbox 360 because of this, it looks very promising.

I would wait until there is actually something good for it (CFW, homebrew, etc), what if it turns out to be a brick wall where people can't do anything still? At least you can guarantee that you can pirate on the 360.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
This "hack" does not brick your ps3. It merely dumps some shit into a file. geohot hasn't even found the decryption key yet! LOL! He's lookin into deh isolated SPIs "hoping" to find the decryption key.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am wondering how long will it takes to Sony to patch this, making this totally useless and closing this door. Because such thing can be patched and they will do it.

ohoni

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The guy who released it claims that he doesn't think it's something that could be fixed using a software patch. Whether he's right or not is debatable, but he seems to know what he's talking about.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
playallday said:
CockroachMan said:
Well.. at least it's a start..
tongue.gif

Could lead up to PS3 homebrew in a year or so..
And then Sony will have announced a new system.
rolleyes.gif

The PS3 hasn't even been out for 4 years yet, only 6 years after the PS2 came out, did the PS3 come out. Don't expect a PS4 until late 2012. A new Xbox will probably come around 2011, since this is the Xbox's 4th year, by the end of the year, it'll be its 5th.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ZeWarrior said:
playallday said:
CockroachMan said:
Well.. at least it's a start..
tongue.gif

Could lead up to PS3 homebrew in a year or so..
And then Sony will have announced a new system.
rolleyes.gif

The PS3 hasn't even been out for 4 years yet, only 6 years after the PS2 came out, did the PS3 come out. Don't expect a PS4 until late 2012. A new Xbox will probably come around 2011, since this is the Xbox's 4th year, by the end of the year, it'll be its 5th.
Still, even if it was 2012 that's still less then a year of enjoying the hack before having to hack a new system.

I think it's going to be the same thing as the PS2, 10 years after it was first made hacking it is easy. I wish the guys who made the Nintendo DS would make all the security for consoles...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    No, but, the air conditioner in my living room gets fuckin icy
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    In a good way, not as in a "my coils are freezing" kind of way
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not everyone lives in theirs mom's basement gosh
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah, my mom's basement is just for the weekends to check in on the family
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i usually live in your mom's basement
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    saves a lot of time fr
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It's 11:30 PM here, I just took the trash out and my god is it awful outside
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    This heatwave can eat my ass
    +3
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    omg same, it's VERY hot here, too
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck this heatwave, i don't usually sleep with a fan, but i believe the fan is getting put on the bed rather than beside it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S 12:30 IN THE FUCKING MORNING AND IT'S STILL 78°, WHAT THE FUCK?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    78º seems abnormal for any part of the day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea it was 96 F for the high, 78 F for the low today, in Ohio, bout same for bakerman in Michigan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    F- fahrenheit C-Celsius. We in USA use F as our temp ratings
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    F = Freedom units
    +2
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    So... C = Cum units?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Clip units
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @HiradeGirl, That's how they get bigger loans at the bank.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Welp.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wasn't me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got around to playing A way out is pretty fun coop game to kill time
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Got around to playing A way out is pretty fun coop game to kill time