Hacking PS3 Custom Firmware Loader from USB

doyama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://psx-scene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66257

You can now load into a custom firmware on a USB stick, and then reboot into this new firmware. We're getting closer to loading custom firmware!

Whether it's possible to dump 3.42 to emulate this is unknown at this point. Bit of a catch-22 since you can't jailbreak 3.42 to get the firmware to emulate it
tongue.gif

Still an interesting development!

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I was really exited about this at first. I just want to be able to pop on line just for a breath of air. I feel like I'm drowning the longer I'm offline.

girugamarc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So one could take the newest update, remove or alter whatever it is that is blocking the jailbreak, and then use that custom firmware to get online somehow? Cool.

Won't Sony be able to tell that you're not using an official firmware?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It'll be interesting to see if this perhaps leads to a hack allowing you to run 3.42 with the unsigned code and install PKG patches. Quite plausible AFAIK, as those patches reside in RAM, and stay until a complete power off. A soft reboot (such as the one which will reload into the USB firmware) will not get rid of those patches, so if you simply get dev_flash from a 3.42 PS3 and stick it on a USB drive, you should be able to run 3.42 and still have homebrew and PKG installing abilities.

I am assuming that this is still made illegally with the official SDK? Is there ANY legal hombrew for the PS3 yet?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
I am assuming that this is still made illegally with the official SDK? Is there ANY legal hombrew for the PS3 yet?
If I steal a saw and build a doghouse with it, the doghouse is not stolen property.

Stuff made with the leaked SDK is not illegal, I will not believe that it is UNTIL SOMEBODY PROVES IT.

Saying "It must be!" is not proof. Give me FACTS.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
doyama said:

You can now load into a custom firmware on a USB stick, and then reboot into this new firmware. We're getting closer to loading custom firmware!

Whether it's possible to dump 3.42 to emulate this is unknown at this point. Bit of a catch-22 since you can't jailbreak 3.42 to get the firmware to emulate it
tongue.gif

We just need a pup unpacker. Or a disk that contains the update that allows us to dump it before it asks to update....

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
SifJar said:
I am assuming that this is still made illegally with the official SDK? Is there ANY legal hombrew for the PS3 yet?If I steal a saw and build a doghouse with it, the doghouse is not stolen property.

Stuff made with the leaked SDK is not illegal, I will not believe that it is UNTIL SOMEBODY PROVES IT.

Saying "It must be!" is not proof. Give me FACTS.

When a piece of software is compiled with an SDK, parts of the code of said SDK are in the resultant binary. In this case, the leaked SDK is copyrighted code, which is illegal to redistribute. Therefore, every binary compiled with it contains copyrighted code, which makes them therefore illegal to redistribute. I'm no lawyer, but I don't think your argument stands. (Usually) when you build a dog house, none of the saw used to build it ends up in the doghouse. I cannot see how stuff made with a leaked SDK could NOT be illegal.

KiiWii said:
QUOTE(doyama @ Sep 18 2010, 04:09 AM)

tongue.gif

We just need a pup unpacker. Or a disk that contains the update that allows us to dump it before it asks to update....

There is a PUP Extractor, I saw it over at PSX Scene, but I dunno where it came from, or if its from the leaked SDK and therefore illegal (although I don't really know why there'd be a PUP Extractor in the official SDK, no devs should need that, so its probably custom written)

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've found links to YAPE (yet another pup extractor) but it cant decrypt from the SELF apparently.

Wonder if anyones tried the PSP decrypting tools on PS3 update files... I vaguely remember G3oH0t shitting on about altering RCO's on his 3.2100 firmware just as you could on a PSP (infact using the same tool RCO:MAGE v1.1.0) ...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KiiWii said:
I've found links to YAPE (yet another pup extractor) but it cant decrypt from the SELF apparently.

Wonder if anyones tried the PSP decrypting tools on PS3 update files... I vaguely remember G3oH0t shitting on about altering RCO's on his 3.2100 firmware just as you could on a PSP (infact using the same tool RCO:MAGE v1.1.0) ...
I think RCOs are editable on PS3, from a screenshot I saw of this USB Firmware Loader thing, it looked like it had an RCO edit (it had a string modified which said something along the lines of "RCO Edited")

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, the way I see it is that we use a lot of software that Sony makes using the official SDK. So if these compiled programs are illegal to have because from bits of pieces of SDK being in the program, then it would be the same for official Sony software. Sure, Sony has not given us permission to use their SDK, but that ties in with Rydian's statement saying we don't have the SDK, just compiled programs.

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:
Hmm, the way I see it is that we use a lot of software that Sony makes using the official SDK. So if these compiled programs are illegal to have because from bits of pieces of SDK being in the program, then it would be the same for official Sony software.
No, that would be missing the point. Sony has a right to sell software they created. It's only legal for them to sell it in any form.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless of the legality of using the SDK, if a custom firmware comes out that's based on an official one, that's only legal if the CFW is created by the end user (such as with a patcher) from a legitimately downloaded copy of the original firmware. If the CFW is distributed in full, it's not legal. Similar to some of the modified IOS's for the Wii.

In this case, it's less like stealing a saw to build a doghouse, and more like adding a carpet. It's okay if you're given the doghouse and add the carpet yourself, but not if somebody a third party steals the doghouse, adds the carpet, and then gives it to you.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
~
Rydian said:
A copy-paste from the sticky.

QUOTE(WiiCrazy @ Sep 14 2010, 03:53 PM) When you compile a program with that sdk, that pieces containing IP directly goes into the compiled program...
Do you have any proof of that claim? Show me some IP that goes into the compiled program. IP can be used in it's creation, but it is not transferred into the final product.

A compiled program is binary, it's bytecode. Sony cannot hold a copyright on the executable format for their system, because there's laws allowing for interoperability from other vendors.

Sony and other companies are normally able to lock their system into only running programs from them because it'll only run signed code, and they refuse to sign code for anybody else... however when something else is made for a system (such as the Gameshark/AR accessories), Sony (or Nintendo, or Sega) has no legal reason to go after them. The unlicensed accessories/code continue to operate and even be sold in stores such as Wal*Mart because they are legally allowed interoperability.

Flash carts and modchips and such are deemed illegal because they are or can be used for piracy, nothing to do with interoperability.
AGAIN, if it does any of this stuff you claim, then SHOW IT TO ME.

I will not believe it exists just because "it must exist".

I will believe it exists WHEN IT IS SHOWN TO EXIST.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up