PCSX2 HD texture pack group

PS1 Remastering (Pre rendered Backgrounds)

Janley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Hey guys bit of an update on this as well. This is still stuck stuck stuck, recently i spoke with someone who's pretty well versed in pre rendered backgrounds and even he seemed to be stumped with this game. He told me to try and extract the textures directly from the game files themselves but this has proven to be a whole other can of worms since the files themselves happen to be encrypted in a format I can't work with or find online so again stuck stuck stuck for now :/

Is anyone here experienced in remastering ps1 games? If anyone is plz dm me. Been having a hard time with pre rendered backgrounds.

I already started working on Koudelka using the Beatle HW core on retroarch and enabling the track textures with texure dump and replace enabled.

Ive already worked on the textures used on some of the models with no issues, weapons as well, menus no problems.

My Issue is not the texture extraction or remastering, my issue is on how the game handles pre rendered backgrounds. Pre rendered backgrounds come almost in like a jiggsaw puzzle esque form they are not just a texture or a picture if u get what i mean. Due to them being a picture with many snipets of a picture upscalers donty know how to work with it properly therfore giving poor results. Also if i were to try and recreate backgrounds i still would have the same issue since i have no idea how to cut up the picture and set it in the way the game handles it. Thats the issue at hand

This is how it looks in game. This is on native resolution so we can see it without alterations in game.
Koudelka (Disc 1)-221224-134437.png

And this is how the game handles the pre rendered backgrounds.

f8048ef0-f8e5b50c.png e2381d7a-25701081.png 6bec23d3-67a4c1f0.png 63e9f5cc-d734b99c.png

Last edited by Janley,
Reactions: CrazyMage

Bl4ckH4nd

Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
I had this exact issue with Resident Evil 3 on Dreamcast. Pre-rendered backgrounds really are a nightmare.

From looking at the Resident Evil 2 and 3 Seamless HD project's folder, you'll see that on Gamecube they do the same.

I don't know what you're using to upscale but you might be able to put it together properly by trying different seamless modes, such as clamp, mirror, extend etc.

Reactions: Janley

Janley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
you might be able to put it together properly by trying different seamless modes, such as clamp, mirror, extend etc.

How do you do that. I've never done that before. Also if anyone know of any upscaler that can handle such low resolutions pretty well id love to hear it. My cupscale is really struggling with these. I used the in game screenshot since its all put together and tried using the 2 models i have on cupscale and it did didly squat it just made it look like playdogh.

LuismaSP89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Have you tried with topaz gigapixel AI? Is a great upscaler even for small textures.
On the other side. Have you tried to extract the pre-rendered backgrounds using duckstation? The images are completely extracted exactly as you see on the screen "But without the characters or 3d objects". I tried to upscale the dino crisis 2 some months ago, and was very easy. Only put the images on the topaz gigapixel and doing 2 clicks.

Janley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Have you tried with topaz gigapixel AI? Is a great upscaler even for small textures.
On the other side. Have you tried to extract the pre-rendered backgrounds using duckstation? The images are completely extracted exactly as you see on the screen "But without the characters or 3d objects". I tried to upscale the dino crisis 2 some months ago, and was very easy. Only put the images on the topaz gigapixel and doing 2 clicks.

Id love to use duckstation for this but for some reason I just cant get it to work. Can we talk in private about this? If you could help me set up duckstation for this id appreciate it!

CCKrizalid

Angry Russian dude?
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Id love to use duckstation for this but for some reason I just cant get it to work. Can we talk in private about this? If you could help me set up duckstation for this id appreciate it!
Try changing model in Cupscale from ESRGaN to Real ESRGaN, maybe effect will be better. It also depends on quality of texture dumps. Duck Station is certainly good, but it dumps more or less normally, it is only background images, but it dumps textures of 3D character models or level textures very badly. But they are very well dumped by Retro Arch. So try dumping textures from there and then upscaling them with Cupscale. I doubt that these packs are suitable for Duck Station. Will have to work with Retro Arch. For that, quality will be on top. And not only background images, but also characters and objects.

Bl4ckH4nd

Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
Try changing model in Cupscale from ESRGaN to Real ESRGaN, maybe effect will be better. It also depends on quality of texture dumps. Duck Station is certainly good, but it dumps more or less normally, it is only background images, but it dumps textures of 3D character models or level textures very badly. But they are very well dumped by Retro Arch. So try dumping textures from there and then upscaling them with Cupscale. I doubt that these packs are suitable for Duck Station. Will have to work with Retro Arch. For that, quality will be on top. And not only background images, but also characters and objects.
I agree, Beetle is the way to go when dumping textures for PS1, Duckstation is a mess with this.

Also, OP, you can try using different models on Cupscale as well, check out this site:

https://upscale.wiki/wiki/Model_Database#Universal_Models

As for the texture seam issue, go to Cupscale's settings, then AI Settings.

There is a setting named Seamless Mode, and some different options there you could try. I had seam issues on Sly and that sorted me out :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: