PS1/2 PS1 Backups have sound lag

Helltech

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm having some problems with my PS1 backups. I'm using Alcohol 120 percent, write speed at slowest, write method raw dao, and tried rectify sub-channel data both on and off. I burned 4 games two worked just fine (Crash 2 and 3), and two the sound lags horribly (Intelligent Qube and Spyro 1). The gameplay is fine, but the background sound is not. The music is THERE, it's not missing, it just cuts in and out. When I play them on ePSXe then the gameplay lags slightly (rarely), but the sound is fine..

Also tried ImgBurn 16x writing speed (lowest I can go), same problem.

I assume its because my PS1 laser/motor isn't spinning fast enough, but I'm not sure. I've wasted a few CD-Rs on this already so I don't wanna keep trying blindly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha. I've been working on this EXACT ISSUE for the past week going through trial and error in getting my games working properly on my modded PS1, so I can help you out.

First thing you wanna look at are you CD-Rs. There are two specific brands recommended: Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim (dark blue if they still exist, if not that's fine. I'm using the normal ones). The former you'll have to order online, the latter are common enough at your general stores and quite cheap. Got mine at Best Buy.

Second, as for the software to burn them, at first I was using Alcohol 120%, but after some issues with a certain game's cutscenes having problems when burnt as an .ISO, I switched over to imgburn (which has a automatic profile for PLAY STATION) and that game, as well as others, have no issues. Because of the PS1's iffy laser, it's recommended to burn at the slowest speed possible (my laptop is 10x; desktop's CD drive can go all the way to 1x). I've tested games with both and I've had no real issues. Very small skipping only occurred when I left my PS1 on for literally hours, when it was growing hot. Totally neglegible. It also helps to have proper rips of the games.

Third is the laser unit itself. Age and use can cause problems of course, so what you can do is order a new PS1 laser unit and change it (not difficult at all, did it myself), or, you can try adjusting the potentiometer (POT) that controls the laser's voltage. That's explained here.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Try setting the PS1 on its side. This can help it read discs better. Personally, most of my own PS1s only work if I prop them up on top of the memory card/controller port.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
It's barely worth buying repair parts. Main reason to do that, is if your PS1 is already modded and you don't want to go through modding a replacement. Normal US fat PS1s were made in such vast extreme numbers they're unbelievably worthless loose in any condition.

Helltech

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of replies, thanks for the help guys.

I didn't realize ImgBurn had a playstation setting, I did use ImgBurn as I said with the same results as the Alcohol. Which also meant the games played fine on my computer (not that I want to play them on my computer, just using that as a test).

So maybe the Playstation doesn't like reading these disks, which sucks because I've tried three different kinds, some old Memorex ones, Phillips, and TDK.

I'll try turning my playstation on it's side, I'll let you know if that works.

Seriously appreciate all the help guys. This forum is amazing.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sony used plastic parts for the first batch of disc lens rails. it's cheaper, but it's degradable.
With time the joints became loose and the lens is not correctly aligned anymore, that's why putting the console on the side helps by forcing the lens to be in correct position thanks to gravity.
Sometime, it's not perfectly 90°, you'll have to find one between 90 and 120°.

I think last models (PSone) are using metallic parts and don't have this problem.

Helltech

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well when I was looking up how to repair a lens I found one website that said which serial numbers use plastic bits and which ones use metal ones, I have a later version of the FAT PS, which had metal pieces, but still uses plastic gears, the PSOne (might i have no idea) use metal gears as well which I could see helping a lot.

At least I got it working, hope it lasts a few years on its side =/

Reactions: segashack

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
My psone also plays a bit laggy to freezy on fmvs and cutscenes... it feels as if it is rather hopeless. So much for retro gaming.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1