Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah me too, I have a shield atm and am looking foward to gen 2... But it looks like I will have to make a choice now. Well, whatever one emulates PS2 games best wins :)
Good luck with that - you need a proper PC rig to emulate the PS2 efficiently and close to full speed, you'll have to wait another generation at least before you see full speed PS2 emulation on mobile hardware.
Well if "console experience" means ports of indie games then it's pretty much spot on. I'm guessing this machine should have enough power to run indie and old stuff without problems by itself and of course one same lisence should do.

But this is done by third party and there's so much variables right now that can make it really bad machine.
You're saying it as if there weren't any non-indie titles on the PSVita wheras in fact there's no shortage of good full-scale games on the system.

This is indeed third-party, as are all Steam Machines.

Reactions: Xabring

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Steamboy can't really come out until the controller is finalized.

Hope the prices are fair (cheap netbook range). Glad I didn't invest in a Pandora now. :)

Yeah me too, I have a shield atm and am looking foward to gen 2... But it looks like I will have to make a choice now.
Well, whatever one emulates PS2 games best wins :)
Pandora 2 is coming out.

Reactions: Nightwish

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Open Pandora 2 AKA Pyra, coming to your door early 2020 (with 2014 hardware). :P

That's about what I'd expect. Giant corporations always have the benefit of producing quicker. Though I am eager to see what the Pandora 2 will be all about. I LOVE little independent projects like that, but I'm not very wealthy, not by a long shot, so now I'm just looking for something open, affordable, and capable and I think this Steam project will probably deliver before anyone else on that front.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
So just what would this be capable of game wise? I'm interested but I have no idea what steam OS does or what this hand held in particular could do.

Well we don't have all the details yet, so we don't really know.

But SteamOS is a Debian-based OS that Valve is developing to help bring a simple gaming-OS to non-PC gamers with their "Steam Machines". Personally I think it's rather silly, since quite a few games don't run very well on Linux (via Wine) and there aren't a lot of AAA titles that support Linux, but they also have stuff like in-home streaming, so SteamOS would make a nice HTPC and such...

Reactions: Skelletonike

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well we don't have all the details yet, so we don't really know.

But SteamOS is a Debian-based OS that Valve is developing to help bring a simple gaming-OS to non-PC gamers with their "Steam Machines". Personally I think it's rather silly, since quite a few games don't run very well on Linux (via Wine) and there aren't a lot of AAA titles that support Linux, but they also have stuff like in-home streaming, so SteamOS would make a nice HTPC and such...

That's the thing though, is that what releases there are for Linux, and the fact that it is VERY VERY OPEN and is already a home for many amazing home brew applications, games, and emulators, stands as proof that Linux is ready and capable of doing more. Through these projects Steam could generate enough corporate interest towards Linux, that companies like Nvidia might take the time to step up their drivers a tad bit, more companies may decide to develop games for it and so forth, which in turn really benefits the home brew community because the land scape in which they like to freely build will be better because of it all, and more capable.

I wish all this was taking place on Haiku or a Next Gen Amiga OS, but Linux will do. :)

So just what would this be capable of game wise? I'm interested but I have no idea what steam OS does or what this hand held in particular could do.

I'm expecting it to be able to play some newer PC releases with most details on low or medium with some special effects turned off or down. Though that still leaves a pretty descent library of older games that are still fully playable and or portable should this Steam project provoke the right amount of corporate interest.
On that note, I'd expect it can run Half-Life 2, Portal 2, Left for Dead and all that stuff just fine!
Meanwhile this unit would be able to stream games from your higher end gaming rig and allow you to play them on the go...

...but now with what I hope to be superior hand held controllers.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So much speculation going on here. How do you know the next gen will be called the steamboy advance? I'm holding out for the XL version because I don't have a boys hands.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
the device packs a quad-core CPU, 4GB RAM, 32GB built-in storage, support for WiFi and 3G, a 5" 16:9 screen and the trademark Steam Machine touchpads on each side - a modest, but sufficient setup,

Modest? Really?! I think those are really impressive, I can't see what you were expecting

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I wonder if emulators will be made for this.
With these fantastic specs it should emulate a lot of stuff just fine.
I've seen people emulate PSP on Shield, this could do even better.
Also most games I'm interested are 16 bit games, that would run on this really well.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if emulators will be made for this.
With these fantastic specs it should emulate a lot of stuff just fine.
I've seen people emulate PSP on Shield, this could do even better.
Also most games I'm interested are 16 bit games, that would run on this really well.

Only problem could be the analog sticks, that and if the emulators are easily ported to the Steam OS.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Only problem could be the analog sticks

They're quite weird, but I heard that it's really comfortable and easy to use.

that and if the emulators are easily ported to the Steam OS.

SteamOS is basically a variant of Ubuntu.
Emulators for linux should be ported to this easily.
If not, there is still the hope of partitioning it and installing Dingux.

Reactions: the_randomizer

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know. The Vita's big selling point revolved around taking console experiences on the go, and seeing how it's performed... a Steamboy sounds like a mist-take.

I don't think you have the foggiest idea what you're saying. The Steamboy's going to vaporize the competition. They're going full-steam ahead.

Reactions: Gahars

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT