Project 06, a recreation of Sonic 06, releases its 5th demo, featuring Silver The Hedgehog

Sonic fans tend to agree that out of the surplus of Sonic titles available, Sonic The Hedgehog (2006) tends to get the most infamous attention, even if deserved or not, it's without a doubt the lightning rod of bad criticism for the Sonic franchise. Interestingly enough, it seems like Sonic '06 (as it has been named by the fans) hasn't seen a modern release in any shape or form (not even on Steam, similar to Sonic Heroes) since its original release back in the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Given the popularity of the title, and its limited availability in modern days, it hasn't seen much in terms of improvements from the homebrew/modding community.
But all this changed when argentinian programmer, Ian Moris, who goes by the alias of ChaosX2006, begun work on something called Project 06 (or P-06 for short).

Project 06 is a complete recreation from scratch (or sometimes considered a remake by some) of Sonic 06, built from the ground-up in the Unity engine.
What this means is that P-06 is a complete remake/recreation of the game in Unity without relying in any type of source code or port prior to this, including recreating the entirety of the code, models, characters, animations, textures, shaders, levels, etc. Some assets like models, stages and textures can surely be ripped from the original game, but they had to be modified in several levels (or entirely) in order to work correctly with the Unity engine.

P-06 has been in development for around 6 years, with the very first demo of it being released 4 years ago in April 19th, featuring two levels from Sonic's campaign only, these being Wave Ocean and Kingdom Valley, subsequently continuing support all the way throughout 2019 to include a variety of Quality of Life improvements as well as adding three more levels for Sonic in the 2nd demo, released in October of the same year. Since then, ChaosX2006 continued work on the project, releasing a 3rd demo in July, 2020 featuring the all of Sonic's levels from 06, and then a 4th demo including Shadow and all of his levels by September, 2021.

Today, ChaosX2006 has released its 5th demo for Project 06, this time featuring Silver and the entirety of his levels from 06, making the whole cast of characters finally playable in P-06, meaning Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Rouge, Omega, Silver, Blaze and Amy:

Project 06 not only aims to recreate Sonic 06 faithfully, but Chaos' has also added a bunch of Quality of Life features and bugfixes from the original. These range from movement fixes, like making Sonic and Silver faster, moves for Tails, Rouge and Knuckles ported over from their Adventure titles, loading times have been drastically improved, full on 16:9 support, and a whole lot of other options that the player can fit to their liking, like the behaviour of the Homing Attack, which can be changed from Adventure 1, 2, original, and animations and UI can also be changed according to the user's liking.

Those interested in playing the game can visit ChaosX2006's YouTube Channel and get P-06 from there.

:arrow: ChaosX2006 YouTube Channel

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great! Sonic 06 on PC here i come!
Hot take: It's 100% better than Sonic Adventure 1.
Those are what are called fighting words in a court of law

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nice. The story is unsalvageable, but at least the game itself can be fixed into being actually good and complete, unlike the hackjob that was the original game.

KeeperCP1

"What, why, where, who?" is my middle name
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What? I mean, look at how those cutscenes are an abomination! Full of waiting times, audio cuts and of course, those FACES
WeeklyDeliriousJunco-size_restricted.gif

NumberXIIIEdwin

Jack In! MegaMan, Execute!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the biggest reason that 06 hasn’t seen some kind of release on newer platforms has something to do with the fact that the game itself just isn’t finished. So yeah, they can port it up, but unless they wanna really want to put in the effort and finish/polish the game up it’s just gonna be dead on arrival again.

That being said, if I was SEGA, I’d be watching this project very closely. Obviously they’ve shown in the past that they’re more than willing to collaborate with the fan community. So whenever this project finishes I’d get in contact with the developer and work out a deal to just release this version onto modern platforms. I mean, a lot of the main development would be done already, no? Would just have to go through QA and marketing/licensing really. Obviously, this would never happen, but this version of the game is such a definitive upgrade I would definitely hand them money to play this on my console.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I question why someone would go through the trouble and labor to do this.

Then again, this is also the same timeline where the creator of Action 52 unironically was doing a Kickstarter, to rerelease a more completed build of the game so it doesn't take TAS levels of fuckery to actually see the final two levels of Cheetahmen.

Reactions: x65943

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? I mean, look at how those cutscenes are an abomination! Full of waiting times, audio cuts and of course, those FACESView attachment 366135
The game is fun, the levels are polished

You can dunk on two and a half decade old mocap - but ultimately the game is just leaps and bounds beyond sonic '06

If we judged games based on mocap/graphics/shading then games like COD could be GOTY material despite being rehashed year after year

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What? I mean, look at how those cutscenes are an abomination! Full of waiting times, audio cuts and of course, those FACESView attachment 366135

While I haven't finished Sonic 06 in any capacity, I for once second this motion.
I was never fond of Sonic Adventure 1, despite playing it during its original release time frame, nostalgia doesn't blind me to how horrible a lot of the aspects in that game are. The gameplay in it is fun for sure, but that's limited to certain levels for Sonic, Knuckles and perhaps Gamma, out of that, the rest don't hold up.
I much prefer SA2 over SA1, it has way more production value, still holds up and is way more fun to play overall.

Reactions: AmandaRose

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic 2006 was bad? I wouldn't know; I never played it. However, it wouldn't surprise me, considering SEGA has made questionably workable games every now and then.

As for a remaster of what was deemed bad... I'm all for it.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I haven't finished Sonic 06 in any capacity, I for once second this motion.
I was never fond of Sonic Adventure 1, despite playing it during its original release time frame, nostalgia doesn't blind me to how horrible a lot of the aspects in that game are. The gameplay in it is fun for sure, but that's limited to certain levels for Sonic, Knuckles and perhaps Gamma, out of that, the rest don't hold up.
I much prefer SA2 over SA1, it has way more production value, still holds up and is way more fun to play overall.
Here is my take on Sonic Adventure 1

Terrible voice acting

Rubish cutscene's

3 good levels the rest are god awful

A camera that does everything it can to bugger you up

The bits you run round the city are only there to fill in for the fact there is hardly any levels.

The music is painful

Apart from that it's OK I guess :rofl2:

Reactions: ShadowOne333

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shame he (silver) debuted in a fiery train wreck, what was sega smoking? that and Forces the only thing Forces produced decent was the IDW Comics (btw does it run (unoffically ofc) "great on Deck"? anyone tested it on steam os 3/steam deck?
Post automatically merged:

Nice. The story is unsalvageable, but at least the game itself can be fixed into being actually good and complete, unlike the hackjob that was the original game.
they should (sega) pull a christian whithead again and hire the devs even temporarly win-win then again Sega devs would be out of a job for so much sonic shitware they pumped out Post SA2

Last edited by chrisrlink,

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember playing the last demo, or at least Sonic's stages. They're pretty enjoyable, honestly. If it weren't for all the bugs and glitches screwing you over, I dare to say that Sonic '06 could have been pretty decent. (And of course, if they took a couple more passes over the story, but I'm talking gameplay)

The Shadow gameplay, if I recall correctly, had some tweaks made to it so that the challenge is mainly to try and keep a combo going throughout the entire stage, for a high score. They even edited the gameplay itself slightly to help with that particular focus.

I'm probably going to have to download this when I have the time and swap out the demo I've already got installed. Shame about the file-size, though. I've only got the smallest hard-drive version of the Steam Deck, so something like this would kill pretty much all of the storage space. When I can afford it, I also need to upgrade the hard drive for that, so that I can install more than one or two games at a time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJewzRHdH8c