Gaming Problem with my dvd writer

The_Dragons_Mast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Hi I have a question about my dvd writer. My dvd writer suddenly stopped being able to burn discs (cds & dvds) but it still can read both. When trying to burn using imgburn or nero everything goes normally but once it ends and I check the disc remains empty with nothing written on it. I thought it might be a windows problem or a driver releated one so I tried burning on Ubuntu but i got the same results. So my question is if anybody knows what might be causing this and if it can be easily fixed or should I have to send it to get fixed. My drive is "TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C" it is part of my Toshiba satellite l650 laptop.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
There's a very good chance that the laser used to burn discs wore out. It's common with "slimline" DVD writers such as the kind found in laptops (it happens to desktop drives too, but they tend to be more resilient).

EDIT:
QUOTE said:
before tryng what Orginallity suggested
...I didn't suggest anything that can be "tried". I just stated the possibility.

The_Dragons_Mast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Originality said:
There's a very good chance that the laser used to burn discs wore out. It's common with "slimline" DVD writers such as the kind found in laptops (it happens to desktop drives too, but they tend to be more resilient).

EDIT:
QUOTE said:
before tryng what Orginallity suggested...I didn't suggest anything that can be "tried". I just stated the possibility.

Thanks for the help everything I did suggested its a hardware problem but i just couldn't figure what is wrong since the drive was reading discs normally but since you are saying there is a diffrent laser for burning and that this is a common problem slimline dvd drives like mine I guess thats probably it.

QUOTE(Dter ic @ Mar 24 2011, 10:26 PM)
before tryng what Orginallity suggested try taking out the dvd drive out, then put t back in again

I prefer not to open my laptop since itstill have a few months left under warranty and if there is a chance the laser might be busted I prefer sending it & waiting than ruining the warranty.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Many laptops don't actually need to be opened to get the DVD drive out. Look underneath for any slidey bits that might unlock the DVD drive. The one in my HP tablet laptop, when pushed, actually ejects the entire DVD drive (which is easy to put back in afterwards).

Having your laptop manual at hand might give further insight too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol