Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Hi. So here's the story. Whenever I'm using this laptop, it the internet would just stop working. Pages in mid-loading do not load, any windows 7 gadget using the internet cannot use it, anything site I try to go to will not load. I have tested this on multiple browsers, none load. This problem lasts for maybe 3-5 minutes, then goes away. It comes back randomly. I thought it was my router at first, but every other computer and wifi-enabled device works fine. My other pc loads perfectly, my brother's pc loads perfectly, as well as my mom's. The icon in the tray shows full bars and when I try to troubleshoot, Windows reports that everything is fine. I have singled out the problem to this computer. It has to be this laptop. I doubt it's a virus, since I'm not that stupid as to get one. Could it maybe be a faulty wireless card?

Also, during these periods of no internet, I try accessing my router's interface (192.168.1.1), and it also will not load. What are the possibilities as to why this is not working? Again, this is random, but when it occurs, I quickly test everything else, which is how I got my results. I want to try using an Ubuntu CD and use the internet for a while there, but the problem may or may not replicate. I have no idea what can trigger this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Rife

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plug in your laptop directly via ethernet cable and see if the problem goes away. If it does, your wireless adapter is at fault. That would be my guess, from what you describe.

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Plug in your laptop directly via ethernet cable and see if the problem goes away. If it does, your wireless adapter is at fault. That would be my guess, from what you describe.
I can try that, but I would have to move to my router and be in an akward position. I will try that immediately the next time this thing cuts off again.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Do you have ZoneAlarm firewall by any chance? When I was using that I found that after a while of use I would not be able to reach any web pages without shutting down ZoneAlarm.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's either your wireless card bugging out or your router is dropping your connection. I have seen similar results from dying wireless cards or just plain horrible drivers - try updating the driver for it.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Never rule out the virus possibility. You're never too cautious, and antivirus software aren't fool-proof.
Trying a different OS will probably tell you whether this is a hardware or a software issue. (I am pretty sure the issue is software from what you describe)

what I'd do if I were you until you can try that:
ping -t 8.8.8.8 (thats the google dns servers)
try this and see how it performs, if it drops after some time or something

try an ethernet cable too...
and check the stuff in this thread:
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/4809-wireless-power-management.html
particularly about the power management part...

Reactions: 1 person

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I compared both logs from ipconfig when the internet works and it does not work and they are exactly the same. Nothing in those logs are different. Also, I just noticed that if I move far away to the point that I only have 3 bars on the wireless icon in the tray, the internet will not come back at all. I am going to test this with a ubuntu cd and go far away and see if the internet works. Also, with an ethernet cable, everything seems to work fine. I turned off my firewall and removed the static IP address to test it, and no difference was made.

Reactions: 1 person

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are not getting a good enough signal, do you have DSL internet? I had the same problem with an HP laptop, if my bars fell under 4 (so 3 and below) I just didn't receive internet. It wouldn't even show the yellow triangle either indicating limited or no connectivity. Those bars are a horrible source of measurement...

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I have Time Warner Cable Broadband. My speed is irrelevant though, as other laptops and devices work fine on wifi with double the distance away from my router. Also I am writing this to confirm that everything works fine using an Ubuntu live CD. It is definitely an issue in Windows.... What can I narrow it down to? Please help.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this same problem for the longest time, but I recently reinstalled Windows and I haven't seen it since. Try that.

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I had this same problem for the longest time, but I recently reinstalled Windows and I haven't seen it since. Try that.
That's not an option for me.... I have waaay to many things on this computer set up already... I'm starting to think the problem lies somewhere on the software that came preinstalled. This is a Sony Vaio, and a bunch of stuff came installed on it, and I uninstalled all of it. Just a thought.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can reinstall windows without deleting everything. it'll move your old OS and your program files folder to a folder called windowsold. copy everything you want over to the new location and then run disc cleanup, it'll get rid of the old installation

Anon10W1z

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can reinstall windows without deleting everything. it'll move your old OS and your program files folder to a folder called windowsold. copy everything you want over to the new location and then run disc cleanup, it'll get rid of the old installation
Or...you could do another type of install, which will upgrade your Windows version and keep everything (except for drivers [!]) on your computer.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or...you could do another type of install, which will upgrade your Windows version and keep everything (except for drivers [!]) on your computer.
yeah do that instead. I dunno how though, I don't think there was an option on the DVD i had

triassic911

Burst Mode
OP
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Guys, I think I found my problem, although it is strange to think that it only affects my computer running windows. It the wireless receiver for my turtle beach headset. I had it next to my router, and apparently they both run on 2.4ghz frequency. I always left the receiver for my headset on, but now that I turned it off, I am not seeing the problem, and I'm at the farthest point in my house right now..... Why didn't that affect other wireless devices???? It didn't affect this computer on Ubuntu either... It's weird, but I think it is solved. I will keep testing for a while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto