Hacking Practical differences between EmuNAND and RedNAND?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just use Emunand9Tool. It even can convert a EmuNAND to RedNAND.

there is close to 0 benefit doing this, especially if you want to save space on a New 3DS. to gain all the benefits of RedNAND, you need to create a RedNAND partition from scratch using EmuNAND9's Complete RedNAND setup.
afterward, you are free to restore an EmuNAND backup.

Rosselman

Spooky Skeleton
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Do I need to backup the sd card before doing the conversion or no?
Nope.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

there is close to 0 benefit doing this, especially if you want to save space on a New 3DS. to gain all the benefits of RedNAND, you need to create a RedNAND partition from scratch using EmuNAND9's Complete RedNAND setup.
afterward, you are free to restore an EmuNAND backup.
Very true. That's the only way to conserve the emuNAND and shrink it to 1.2GB.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one of the main differences for Windows users, It screws you over if you format the FAT32 partition on the SD Card as Windows cannot see the second partition anymore (the one with all your games and stuff on it)

it seems RedNAND uses some MBR tricks to set 2 active primary partitions so Windows reads the second one (the one with your data). once you format, it "fixes" the MBR.
GW EmuNAND never had this issue.

Source: Myself as I just screwed myself over trying to get 64K allocation unit size on FAT32. I am back to redoing the RedNAND setup then backing up the MBR via HxD in case I get screwed over again.

I do not have any experiance with messing with the MBR directly but I am going to figure it out now so I can have my RedNAND alongside 64K allocation unit size.

Last edited by driverdis,

Rosselman

Spooky Skeleton
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
one of the main differences for Windows users, It screws you over if you format the FAT32 partition on the SD Card as Windows cannot see the second partition anymore (the one with all your games and stuff on it)

it seems RedNAND uses some MBR tricks to set 2 active primary partitions so Windows reads the second one (the one with your data). once you format, it "fixes" the MBR.
GW EmuNAND never had this issue.

Source: Myself as I just screwed myself over trying to get 64K allocation unit size on FAT32. I am back to redoing the RedNAND setup then backing up the MBR via HxD in case I get screwed over again.

I do not have any experiance with messing with the MBR directly but I am going to figure it out now so I can have my RedNAND alongside 64K allocation unit size.
Oh, that's unexpected. Luckily for me, GParted handles it just fine, but I'm a Linux user.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, that's unexpected. Luckily for me, GParted handles it just fine, but I'm a Linux user.

I ended up finding a fix so I could have 64K Allocation Unit with RedNAND and still have access on Windows.
After doing the RedNAND setup, I backed up 0x0 to 0x300 to file with HxD Hex Editor (via the physical disk option) then used EaseUS Partition Manager to format the larger FAT32 Partition (which is my data and not the RedNAND) as FAT32 64K Allocation Unit

Afterward, I used HxD Hex Editor to open the disk (Physical Disk Option) then I overwrote 0x0 to 0x300 with my backup from before the format. Afterward, I could read the SD Card again in Windows. ChkDsk gives the partition an ok and shows it as 64K so it is good to go now. the 3DS can read it fine also, A9LH still works and RedNAND works also. All my installed games still work also.

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up finding a fix so I could have 64K Allocation Unit with RedNAND and still have access on Windows.
After doing the RedNAND setup, I backed up 0x0 to 0x300 to file with HxD Hex Editor (via the physical disk option) then used EaseUS Partition Manager to format the larger FAT32 Partition (which is my data and not the RedNAND) as FAT32 64K Allocation Unit

Afterward, I used HxD Hex Editor to open the disk (Physical Disk Option) then I overwrote 0x0 to 0x300 with my backup from before the format. Afterward, I could read the SD Card again in Windows. ChkDsk gives the partition an ok and shows it as 64K so it is good to go now. the 3DS can read it fine also, A9LH still works and RedNAND works also. All my installed games still work also.
I was trying to do this earlier this week but failed, awesome find!

Can you elaborate on what you hex edited? What file?

Last edited by democracy,

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was trying to do this earlier this week but failed, awesome find!

Can you elaborate on what you hex edited? What file?

I hex edited the actual SD card itself. HxD has an option to open disk and you can select the physical disk.

Edit, I will write a tutorial on how to do this later today

Last edited by driverdis,
Reactions: democracy

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 64GB Class 10 UHS1 MicroSD Card (Samsung EVO)

I have had no issues with any 3DS homebrew, A9LH, any of the A9LH payloads, or any of the normal 3DS functions. RedNAND also boots fine with zero issues.
So I did this but after the change have been made, chkdsk reports the drive having 32kb cluster again?

Also, creating a small file on disk as a test properties reports 32k file size, so it looks like this work around isn't working for me.

Last edited by democracy,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EmuNAND9 started doing this before it added support for RedNAND, and in my opinion it's the right thing to do, since the EmuNAND/RedNAND area isn't actually "unallocated space".

Formatting the FAT32 partition shouldn't modify the MBR, though I haven't formatted an SD card on Windows 7 recently.

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
rednand and emuNand on 3ds is absolutely the same thing. A copy of the nand is written on the SD and the access to the NAND is REDIRECTED to this copy. redNAND name is more precise ad smea used for it's first CFW, but GW was already out and used Emunand, so this second name bacame very popular.

At the moment every CFW uses the GW format with sector0 reallocated, the other format was used only by Palantine CFW that was a reengineering of GW. But such details are not very important.

Reactions: zoogie

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how do i start i dont even have RedNAND....
am i suppose to downgrade to 2.1 with RXtools?
Download this:
https://github.com/d0k3/EmuNAND9/releases

Then do this once you have it in your sd card:
  • Backup your current EmuNAND and SD card contents (via EmuNAND Manager Options).
  • Either use 'Complete RedNAND Setup' or 'Format SD for EmuNAND (min size)' to setup your SD card.
  • Restore your EmuNAND and copy back the contents of your SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fellas
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    would you rather have a 9-5 desk job with poor pay or work for an intergalactic space militia with no guarantee of being paid?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol. Have you heard about this?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I wish the people who make these emulators know the basic primer course on copyright and trademarks.