Power at a great price - ROG Ally early impressions

al4.jpg

I haven't been quiet in my excitement for the ROG Ally since it was announced back in April. A powerful and feature-packed Windows handheld at a price that actually stands a chance at pulling people away from the Steam Deck? What's not to like? With the device having released just yesterday, we now have it in our hands. Does it live up to the hype?

To just be up front, this isn't going to be a full breakdown or a review; I've only had the Ally for a day after all. What I did want to do though is get a few quick impressions onto paper, and also ask exactly what you as a member of the community would be interested in knowing for the full review when it's written in the next week or two.

But with that out of the way, first impressions? Very good, but not quite perfect. The unboxing experience is about what you'd expect from a premium ASUS product. It's clean, and there's really no frills. You get your device, you get a 65W charger, and you get a paper stand for the system. The charger is fine, though it is a little bulky compared to offerings from other competitors in the space. The Steam Deck's charger was a hard-wired USB C plug running at 45W, and the AYANEO 2 I have on hand came with a really compact 65W GaN plug that could be adapted to any region. The ASUS charger isn't huge, but the fact it's got a charging brick at all makes it inferior. The paper stand is surprisingly sturdy, and I do like its inclusion a lot. It's not going to last forever, but it's a great way to prop the device up while docked while you figure out the accessories you'll buy for the long run. It being made of paper makes it entirely recyclable, so when you do upgrade you don't have to feel so bad getting rid. A good move.

al1.jpg

The star of the show is obviously going to be the device itself, and boy does it shine. In terms of size, you're looking at a slightly smaller footprint than the Steam Deck with a very different ergonomic feel. The plastic used for the Ally feels incredibly nice in-hand, and reminds me of an Xbox Series controller with the dotted-textured back. I won't go into too much detail on every component, but a real standout to me was the D-Pad, and I really wasn't expecting it to be. From the images I really do think it looks awful. It looks glossy, cheap, and plasticky, and it looks like it'd be a mushy mess. It's just really nice. While it doesn't have the click I'm fond of in the Xbox Series controllers (I know not everybody enjoys this though!), you get a decent bump for each direction and it does feel satisfying.

There's not much I really want to fault on the hardware side of things, but even after a plethora of updates leading up to launch, the software could still use a little work. Now at its core, this is a Windows 11 PC with a nice controller strapped to it. This might be a controversial opinion, but I really do think Windows 11 is fine on this kind of handheld. I enjoyed it on the AYANEO 2 and thus far, I really have enjoyed it here. It lacks the instant accessibility of something like SteamOS, and I can certainly understand people being turned off by the additional steps that might be required to get things going. To me though it's just familiar and I know exactly what it can do and how to do it, having used Windows for the majority of my life. To me it's in ASUS' own software, Armoury Crate SE, where I want to see some improvement.

al5.jpg al6.jpg

At the moment I would say it's functional, but it's not of a standard I would expect from a company like ASUS. I like that it provides a simple and unified interface for people to quickly get to games, bringing Windows closer to that simple gaming experience people do genuinely want. I like that it gives you easy access to the settings most important to gaming. I like that it can be pulled up quickly and seamlessly using dedicated buttons. On paper it has all the trademarks of good software, but it just feels a little half-baked. You have small issues that add up. You can't save the order of your games, the controller will sometimes decide to jump multiple tiles at a time, it doesn't have any kind of dock-optimised mode. It's fine, and feature-wise, it really isn't all that different to AYA Space that's loaded onto AYANEO systems. I just have higher standards of ASUS, and I hope in time the software develops to a point where it meets them. Nothing it does makes the device unusable, but it certainly could be better.

al3.jpg

Quirks aside though, can the Ally really play all your games as the promotional materials advertise? Well it'll certainly have a good crack at it. With me unfortunately having a job to attend to I've not been able to throw a lot of time into trying games just yet, but I was incredibly happy to see Monster Hunter Rise running at 1080p Medium settings at around 90fps while plugged in on Turbo mode. The game looked glorious and felt incredible to play, and I pushed that further to around 70fps at 4K High settings when plugged into the 3080 XG Mobile unit I have handy. The only other game I've put time into so far is MapleStory, and it should be no surprise that a 2D MMO runs well. Having said that, it's a game that doesn't work on SteamOS likely due to its anti-cheat, so it's something I'm really going to enjoy.

I'm really happy with the Ally so far, but there's an incredible amount yet to try. Our full review will be looking at battery, performance modes, long-term comfort, compatibility, emulation, SSD upgrading, and various other things I feel are notable as they come up. You can feel secure in knowing I'll be looking at some of the more demanding Switch titles amongst other things, but if there's something you really want me to look at, I'll try my best to include it where possible.

al2.jpg

You can look forward to a separate post about this particular pairing in the near future...

Did you pick up the ROG Ally? Are you on the fence, a proud Steam Deck owner, or just not interested in the handheld space? Let us know your thoughts.

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Ahhhh I'm so on the fence with the Ally. I feel like I spend so much time tweaking with the Steam Deck, then never playing games. But it just has so many QoL benefits that Windows devices just... Don't. So would I actually play more games, or would Windows jank up like it often does for me? Hard to choose.
You would play less games, because with Ally, like with a regular PC, you first would need to boot it (or bring it back from standby), launch the game, load the savegame, play the game, save, quit the game, go to standby. That's a way bigger barrier than just jump straight into the game where you left off, like it is on the Steam Deck.

donaldgx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had I not bought a deck, I would certainly go for an Ally. Price difference is not worth the performance improvement. Great to have options though 💪

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s pretty interesting to me to get one and use it as a portable and desktop replacement, haven’t come close to making the purchase yet but have considered it.

this thing failed the moment windows 11 was put on it :rofl2:

Are you saying we all get one and try a vista install?

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It’s pretty interesting to me to get one and use it as a portable and desktop replacement, haven’t come close to making the purchase yet but have considered it.

Are you saying we all get one and try a vista install?
Windows is terrible for this form factor, maybe someday it will be better.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rather witness how other consumers' experiences pan out and let those first adopters be the guinea pigs so Asus can iron out all of the kinks in time for the release of its successor before I plan to buy one which is my underlying intention; same goes for the Steam Deck.

Last edited by urbanman2004,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I rather witness how other consumers' experiences pan out and let those first adopters be the guinea pigs so Asus can iron out all of the kinks in time for the release of its predecessor before I plan to buy one which is my underlying intention; same goes for the Steam Deck.
Screen could be nicer on the Deck, though I say keep it around the same resolution for the sake of battery life. Beyond that there are no hardware kinks of note, it is fairly customizable, and the software side is constantly being updated/completely open for customization. Three more years minimum to a revision, and Valve might even offer a trade-in program for the old model.

Just nice to have as a slice of gaming history regardless, feels like Valve stepped in to fill the demand for a "Switch Pro" when Nintendo wouldn't. Punches way above its weight class too, not a single next-gen AAA game it hasn't been able to run at a locked 30+ FPS yet. Aside from those with garbage-tier optimization anyway, such as Forspoken.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played