Hacking POT and Media for Wii

Critical_Impact

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So I'm starting to think getting a modchip for Wii would be a good idea. Now I can get one installed for $140(including mod chip) AUS. There are two I can get that do the install as well, and that is for the WiiKey and the Wiinja v2. Which one would you suggest and will either be able to play Wii homebrew in the future?

Second question, this is in relation to DRE's, I had a soft modded GC a while ago and I always got DRE's and had to change the POT to fix this. Will this be an issue I'll have to face with Wii or can you just use the POT at the default value? I am using Ritek G05 DVD-R disks for my GC backups. Do actual modchips work better then a soft mod, i.e. produce less DRE's?

And my final question is, if I did wait for a modchip that ran Wii homebrew how long would I be waiting?

Thanks for the answers guys

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
Wiinja V2 seems to have fixed the DRE issues, though more people enjoy the WiiKey. Personally, I'd get the WiiKey, but I'm building a Chiip. The WiiKey offers a lot of nice features (that are real) and is painless to install.

$140 AUD seems a bit expensive, even after the chip. I'd recommend getting an old piece of hardware and practice. It's really not that hard, people with issues are people with a lack of patience and haven't practiced enough. Also, using a 15w iron will prevent a lot of issues.

As for the homebrew question, I have no idea. I'm not interested in homebrew that much. I only care about playing massive amounts of games with my limited budget.

Critical_Impact

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the quick reply. Its actually $120, i misread, its $60 for the chip and $60 for the install. I just don't really trust myself doing it and it the guy screws up he'll have to replace it or at least fix it. Another thing is, once installed with like wires how hard is it to uninstall the Wiikey just incase a better modchip comes out and I want to replace it with the new one?

sdoc96

Creaky Old Stiff Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
once installed with like wires how hard is it to uninstall the Wiikey just incase a better modchip comes out and I want to replace it with the new one?
Easy - cut the wires and tape them up individually. (or desolder them if you can)
If you have trouble with disc reads on the wii, get a better burner.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered how the autobots could afford to do the stuff they did on the show.... now I... +1