Medium Tech-Addict
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.kugelschreiber.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
When my explanation said "unique", that's what it meant. :P Even keeping track of them all and assuming every single person tries one, you can 500 friends trying 50,000 keys a second would have a 0.0000000000000000000002% chance after an entire nonstop year of trying numbers.

That's why this type of encryption/signing stuff is used by the government, because simple guessing, even in mass amounts, won't break it. It's often down to implementation flaws, or getting stuff on the system via things that aren't checked.

We should guess government's keys and tell them if they don't give us homebrew access on the 3DS, we'll release them to the public!

THAT'S A GREAT IDEA!

Ok, now trying to give anyone a good idea:

I don't like people to try the same methods used in previous hacked devices... Try something new! Like... A 3D slider glitch! (mehh... I can't think of something else now)

The PSP had a TIFF exploit, some games exploit, a savegame exploit, a...
The Wii had a SD exploit, a Zelda exploit...
The DS had the flashcards and a bypass card, earlier...
The DSi had a Sudoku game exploit...

Nintendo will probably improve system security there, so you might just try to find the flaws somewhere else.

The 3DS' video and music playback isn't the best, in my opinion, so... maybe?

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You forget one thing tough.
The wii was hacked because of a security flaw in the retrocompatibility (As i understand.You can correct me if i'm off there.).
So,if i'm not mistaken,the wii was hacked because we try something that worked before.We just upgrade it (Zelda hack/bannerbomb/letterbomb...)

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you are serious,all the note pass trough a Nintendo server,so a filter that would stop the note i guess.And without the common key,how we could create a hack trough swapnote?

If you aren't,lol.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
When my explanation said "unique", that's what it meant. :P Even keeping track of them all and assuming every single person tries one, you can 500 friends trying 50,000 keys a second would have a 0.0000000000000000000002% chance after an entire nonstop year of trying numbers.

That's why this type of encryption/signing stuff is used by the government, because simple guessing, even in mass amounts, won't break it. It's often down to implementation flaws, or getting stuff on the system via things that aren't checked.
Yeah, but that was newer the reason not to try. If nothing, it will be fun (that's why people play lottery) ;)
Exactly. Since I'm not patient to learn programming atm(I'm already loaded up with college stuff), I would try random keys to the encryption, maybe we could hit a jackpot, like Metoroid0 said.

I know chances are REALLY small, but hey, it's kind of a lottery ticket...

ok, but how do we start doing that? :P

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
To do it via PC, you'd need to find the common key first (which is inside the 3DS, either hardware, firmware, or software), whichever one is used internally to decrypt the data/sigs. Then look at 3dbrew to find the format of some data that would be read and decrypted.

1. Encrypt that data with whatever you guess the key is.
  2. Decrypt it with the 3DS's common key.
  3. See if the decrypted data is legit or garbage.
  4. If it's garbage, go to 1.
  5. If it's legit, HOLY SHIT.

Reactions: Vinnymac

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
To do it via PC, you'd need to find the common key first (which is inside the 3DS, either hardware, firmware, or software), whichever one is used internally to decrypt the data/sigs. Then look at 3dbrew to find the format of some data that would be read and decrypted.

1. Encrypt that data with whatever you guess the key is.
  2. Decrypt it with the 3DS's common key.
  3. See if the decrypted data is legit or garbage.
  4. If it's garbage, go to 1.
  5. If it's legit, HOLY SHIT.

Thanks Rydian, but, can you please give some website or threat with noob guide on how to do this..how to start, what do wee need and all...
You always have great guides and know how to explain, but it's not you, it's me (the noob) :)

And by the way, i wouldn't get my hopes up too high, simply because i don't want to feel disappointed or discouraged, because that is no fun to feel like that :P it's much more fun to just..have fun :)

Let's do it! :D

MrMarco

Medium Tech-Addict
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Brazil
You forget one thing tough.
The wii was hacked because of a security flaw in the retrocompatibility (As i understand.You can correct me if i'm off there.).
So,if i'm not mistaken,the wii was hacked because we try something that worked before.We just upgrade it (Zelda hack/bannerbomb/letterbomb...)

I know trying something that worked before might still work, but since we've been searching for around 2 years...

About the decryption key:

Can't we try to "program" something that already exists(like the most simple app in the 3DS, and being almost exactly as it is), then dump an equal app, guess a decryption key and see if you get the same or same kind of data you've programmed?
It's like having the source code or whatever it's called and try the decryption key, or am I talking nonsense?

:unsure:

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'd use bruteforce randomly, while saving a log
that log is not gonna happen mate
there's simply NOTHING with that kind of storage capacity

you can't really compress random data
-> most efficient way of storage is probably a bitmap with 256 bit (key size) adresses and one bit depth (tried/untried)
thats 2^256 bits of storage
or around 10^77 bits to have a more familiar base of 10

that means that in a bad case you might not even have one atoms per bit
and thats not even considering the problems of getting them here
keeping them from gravitational collapse and forming who knows what
or building something with them

even if you somehow had a way to get that kind of power the rest of us would probably be better off just shooting you before you do
and burn and salt you bones and doing whatever comes to mind just to be sure (someone got some spare orbital nukes?)
nothing like a mad (quasi-)deity to ruin ones day

MrMarco

Medium Tech-Addict
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Brazil
that log is not gonna happen mate
there's simply NOTHING with that kind of storage capacity

you can't really compress random data
-> most efficient way of storage is probably a bitmap with 256 bit (key size) adresses and one bit depth (tried/untried)
thats 2^256 bits of storage
or around 10^77 bits to have a more familiar base of 10

that means that in a bad case you might not even have one atoms per bit
and thats not even considering the problems of getting them here
keeping them from gravitational collapse and forming who knows what
or building something with them

even if you somehow had a way to get that kind of power the rest of us would probably be better off just shooting you before you do
and burn and salt you bones and doing whatever comes to mind just to be sure (someone got some spare orbital nukes?)

D:

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
You guys really don't share and understand his enthusiasm and will to do something.. Its all about logic.. Well it's not . It doesnt hawe to be logical if you can or can't guess key, he wants to have fun doing it, even if he newer guess it (and that's something no one can tell. but again, it is no matter)

And i don't think that is nicest thing to say to anyone... (just saying)

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You guys really don't share and understand his enthusiasm and will to do something.. Its all about logic.. Well it's not . It doesnt hawe to be logical if you can or can't guess key, he wants to have fun doing it, even if he newer guess it (and that's something no one can tell. but again, it is no matter)
He can go try. We aren't stopping him. It's a free world. But the sooner you learn to accept that logic prevails more often than not, the better. That's the way life is. Sometimes bumrushing head on is just not the answer.

MrMarco

Medium Tech-Addict
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Brazil

I wouldn't be able to put it in better words... :cry:
Let's try it, Metoroid0!

:mthr:

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Stop messing around with him Rydian :(
I'm not. The issue with finding the private key is that in order to test the private key, you need to try encrypting something with what you think the private key is, and then decrypting it with the public key to see if it works.

But the public key isn't known yet. It exists, but still inside the 3DS, so in order to test a guess for a key, people would need to feed it to the 3DS and try to run it each time, which means that mass-guessing of 50,000 keys a second and numbers like that are impossible.

Compare this to the Wii and DSi, who have their common keys known already, and thus brute-force programs against them are possible (just not feasible). Hell, somebody actually did this for the DSi already (resulting in failure and nobody else caring to run the program after a few weeks of course).

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I never claimed to be a nice person.
But I do enjoy not being a harddisk.

Well as long as he isn't really going to convert a sizeable portion of the universe into a gigantic harddisk for that log of his there is no need to stop him.
Not that I assume that there is much chance of it. I was just considering what it would take to do as he says.

MrMarco

Medium Tech-Addict
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Brazil
What about the DS-3DS handling?

Does anyone know how the DS to 3DS mode works?

If the 3DS cartridges are different than the DS one, a modded card could bug the system.
(By modded card I mean like half DS half 3DS code)

We can dump 3DS and DS games(both encrypted), what happens if they're both in a card?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +2