Possible Modchip for OLED

Ravenhide23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So apologies is this is not the place to be asking this-- I forgot I even had a gbatemp account but figured this might be the easiest place for me to ask compared to the cesspool that is Reddit.

Looking at getting a modchip for my white OLED I bought not too long ago. Don't have my old original unpatched Switch any more, and I'm really tired of not being able to slightly mod my single player games. I've generally shied away from modchips because A). They seemed to be stupidly expensive and B). There was a time where sellers of said modchips weren't very reputable and trying to find someone to do the installation for me (I'm not very good with fine detail electronic work like soldering) was nearly impossible. Imagine my surprise when I do some recent research and it seems getting the modchip and finding someone to do the install isn't nearly as expensive or shady as it used to be.

To that end, I've heard AliExpress usually has what I need. Except the one I found is listed as... a mere $65. Is that right? I seem to remember these things running for $150+. Since it seems like this is the seller I'd need to buy from, what's the deal with a v5 chip? Are OLEDs just stuck with a 4.1 chip or are they just now a v5? Reason I'm asking is because the seller doesn't have a v5 OLED modchip listed, only a 4.1. The only v5 they have listed is listed as a "Core", which I'm assuming is referring to a non-OLED. Just kind of curious, because the little bit of research I've done says just get a v5 chip, but then I can't seem to find one for an OLED...

Apologies for all the questions. Any insight would be appreciated. While I am still kind of nervous about putting a modchip in my OLED, paying the roughly $204 (chip cost plus the store cost I've found to install it) is still miles better than the $300+ asking price for unpatched original Switches on EBay that come from reputable sellers and know will come as advertised. Ebay is infested with scammers, and I'm not about to toss $150 for a dinged up console that may or may not be unpatched as the seller claimed. Thanks a bunch.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So apologies is this is not the place to be asking this-- I forgot I even had a gbatemp account but figured this might be the easiest place for me to ask compared to the cesspool that is Reddit.

Looking at getting a modchip for my white OLED I bought not too long ago. Don't have my old original unpatched Switch any more, and I'm really tired of not being able to slightly mod my single player games. I've generally shied away from modchips because A). They seemed to be stupidly expensive and B). There was a time where sellers of said modchips weren't very reputable and trying to find someone to do the installation for me (I'm not very good with fine detail electronic work like soldering) was nearly impossible. Imagine my surprise when I do some recent research and it seems getting the modchip and finding someone to do the install isn't nearly as expensive or shady as it used to be.

To that end, I've heard AliExpress usually has what I need. Except the one I found is listed as... a mere $65. Is that right? I seem to remember these things running for $150+.
I bought my last one for $70 so that seems about right. Competition and saturation have brought the prices of individual stores down considerably.
Since it seems like this is the seller I'd need to buy from, what's the deal with a v5 chip? Are OLEDs just stuck with a 4.1 chip or are they just now a v5? Reason I'm asking is because the seller doesn't have a v5 OLED modchip listed, only a 4.1. The only v5 they have listed is listed as a "Core", which I'm assuming is referring to a non-OLED. Just kind of curious, because the little bit of research I've done says just get a v5 chip, but then I can't seem to find one for an OLED...
The V ratings are just variations of the theme and largely marketing. At this point it’s just lightly different markings or a different shape of a cable. Anything V4+ from either of the red or blue “official” HWFLY shops on AliE is going to be fine.
Apologies for all the questions. Any insight would be appreciated. While I am still kind of nervous about putting a modchip in my OLED, paying the roughly $204 (chip cost plus the store cost I've found to install it) is still miles better than the $300+ asking price for unpatched original Switches on EBay that come from reputable sellers and know will come as advertised. Ebay is infested with scammers, and I'm not about to toss $150 for a dinged up console that may or may not be unpatched as the seller claimed. Thanks a bunch.

Reactions: Ravenhide23

Ravenhide23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thanks for the reply. Feel a little more comfortable in my decision to go modchip. I also went and bookmarked your help links blog, as I'm undoubtedly going to have more questions a few months down the line once I get everything installed.

Reactions: binkinator

Animage55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend V4 chip if you can find them, they work better than any of the newer one.
speaking of older chips for this. What happened to the old xkit oneB loaders. You know the ones that came in the plastic case. Seems like you cant get anything you know works anymore ><

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1