Hardware Possible Emulators on PS4

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ps2 emulators will probably only be possible if they are "official" emulators. PS2 emulation is hard enough on current PCs (due to the way that the ps2 cpu worked) so getting it to run on a ps4 is going to be tough.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
First the PS4 and Xbox One hasnt been released yet and you're talking about homebrew and emulation?? Not to mention the online checks that both consoles will have. I'm pretty sure both consoles will be more secure.

Second I totally doubt the PS4 and Xbox One could do GC, PS2, Wii emulation as the emulation relies on the CPU

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone here ever had a chance to use a PC based on any of the A series from AMD? My brother has one of the lower end machines, a dual core 3.6Ghz cpu. If it wasn't free I would say he got ripped off. My 3GHz Core2Duo blows it out of the water in every possible way, his system even has the advantage of using DDR3 while mine is on DDR2...

The PS4 has an 8 core version of the same chip but it is clocked at 1.6Ghz, meaning that single threaded performance is going to be the pits. Not all hope is lost though the GPU is pretty beefy so if some one where to write an emulator that used that instead.... Like how games are going to be coded for the PS4/Xbox1/WiiU.

It is ironic the similarity these new systems share with Turbo Graphix 16 (more GPU less CPU.) People hated on that system for not being 16 bit.

Edit: If the PS4/Xbox1/WiiU is hacked, I do not think we would see any new emulators. You need an actual high end PC to emulate PS2 or GC and while the specs of the Xbox1 and PS4 are nice for a games console they are not high end PC's Not even close.

Describing a high end PC, a 6 core i7 running 12 threads (already 4 more than the CPU in the next gen consoles can handle.) at more than double the Mhz. The IPC will probably be even higher making that Mhz advantage even more painful. Pick up a Titan GPU from Nvidia it will easily be more powerful than the GPU in any of the game consoles.

TLDR: High end PC if you worry about specs only and money is no object, buy game consoles for exclusives.

Edit 2: Also if you want to do emulation, buy a PC you will not find a better platform for it. Combined with a nice controller you can download the full MAME set and every home console that has an emulator for it. Almost every home computer ever made.... The list just goes on forever on a PC, on a games console you have to wait until it gets hacked, then pray that some kind loving person does a shit ton of work most of the time for free, for a group of people who most likely will bitch and moan that its not perfect or it does this or it does that. (BTW to all the Wii hackers, god bless you all, you must have the brains of Einstein and the patients of a saint.)

macmanhigh

THC = Truly High Caliber
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is, NullDC is under semi-active development ('bit more frequent then SNES9x last I checked) and it ran Ikaruga fine, at least that's the only thing I've tested (but it's 3D and all that jazz).

Yeah was hoping for Wii port but not sure how progress is on that.....

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
however i believe we may wish to see some motion base/handheld emus running ie. wii, ds?
That would require some kind of input method to compensate for the motion/touch controls. With the info we have so far, the PS4 lacks something needed by each of them: a touch screen for the DS and a motion controller working like the the Wii. The touch screen could be emulated, but that would make it kinda hard to use (PC DS emulators) and the PS4 motion controller is very different compared to the Wii motion controls.

Unfortunately :I

Motobug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would require some kind of input method to compensate for the motion/touch controls. With the info we have so far, the PS4 lacks something needed by each of them: a touch screen for the DS and a motion controller working like the the Wii. The touch screen could be emulated, but that would make it kinda hard to use (PC DS emulators) and the PS4 motion controller is very different compared to the Wii motion controls.

Well, there's the touchpad for DS and a gyroscope for Wii...

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this last icon might be a little TOO optimistic here.
Just a little? -.-

Ik we are talking about the PS4, but I wonder if and how well kinect will emulate the touchscreen. Well, they have smartglass as well,but switching back in forth between tablet and controller seems bothersome.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt the PS4 will be hacked, or if it will, it wont be for a long time. I mean if the PS3 didn't have that one tiny security flaw, I question if it would be hacked yet to this day, I really doubt it would be. But hey, I love optimism, and I can understand why one would want to talk about this stuff. I guess my point is, don't be surprised if it isn't 5 years at the soonest before you can even realize such things.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, there's the touchpad for DS and a gyroscope for Wii...
While true, there are still a few larger problems here in regards to the touchpad: You can't see what you're pressing. That takes quite a bit out of many DS games that were designed to make use of the screen (Elite Beat Agents, Zeldas, etc).

The Wii motion sensing technology is very different compared to the way the PS3/PS4 functions. Largest differences is the light sensor of the Wii (thus, the sensor bar) and the color sensing tech of the PS3/PS4 (PS Eye).

Lights

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Gamecube emulator works fine for me and I run it with 45-60 FPS easily on my laptop, on my computer it runs even faster. Considering my laptop is a bit above average I'm sure the PS4 if possible would be able to run a Gamecube emulator.

However, even talking about emulation on a system which hasn't even been released yet is just stupid.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
We know little about the CPU and nothing about the GPU,
until we have more info about both, discussing emulation is just a bunch of guesses.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sorry for the double Post.
The reply button didn't respond first and when I clicked again it double posted :sleep:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1