Hardware Possibilities of 2 stylus on 3DS ?

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Not everyone is ambidextrous. so that will fail.

maybe multitouch, but 2 styli? Anyone else got 3 hands?

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
The screen would have to be damn big, or you wouldn't be able to see it.

Otherwise it would be pretty neat. I could dig a multi-touch phantom hourglass. The impreciseness of it was what drove me away.

I don't think it would be too hard to hold, even with the styluses though - just hold the bottom with your pinky, ring, and middle, gripping the stylus with pointer and thumb.

doeo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
monkat said:
The screen would have to be damn big, or you wouldn't be able to see it.

Otherwise it would be pretty neat. I could dig a multi-touch phantom hourglass. The impreciseness of it was what drove me away.

I don't think it would be too hard to hold, even with the styluses though - just hold the bottom with your pinky, ring, and middle, gripping the stylus with pointer and thumb.

You cannot fathom the immensity of how crappy I think that would be.
ninja.gif

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
8BitWalugi said:
If it was multi touch, they'd probably ditch the 2nd screen and stylus idea in general.
Imagine tryng to hold your DS and using 2 styli in 1 hand. :/
Some sort of weird wrist strap that keeps your DS balanced during gameplay
awesomenessj.png

KDH

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is actually technically impractical and prohibitvely expensive, at least by Nintendo's standards. Multi-Touch means capacitive touch screen, which means a normal stylus won't work. Capacitive screens require the low-level electrical field flowing through your skin to recognize that you've touched the screen. Now, they do make styli for capacitive screens, but the cheapest ones I've found are still around $30 per unit.

So while multi-touch is very likely, it'll probably be handled that same way it was when smart phones made the switch to capacitive screens: ditch the stylus.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
jan777 said:
Not everyone is ambidextrous. so that will fail.

maybe multitouch, but 2 styli? Anyone else got 3 hands?
You mean you don't?
huh.gif

QUOTE(monkat @ May 25 2010, 07:08 AM) I don't think it would be too hard to hold, even with the styli though - just hold the bottom with your pinky, ring, and middle, gripping the stylus with pointer and thumb.

Little fingers on the back, ring fingers on the inside, and thumb and remaining fingers using the styli.

Also, lol at the Chopstick Hero remark.
laugh.gif

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shlong said:
THE ALL NEW FLOATING 3DS!!! NEW HOVER SYSTEM!!!

Possible. If Nintendo implies a hover propulsion system, that senses your motion so it can then calibrate the correct position for you to play it. You would just need a portable, air tank, and a stable way to fume out the air in a way, so that that the 3DS doesn't spin out of control.

Or.....

A built in magnet pad, so you can just stick the 3DS to anything metallic. You wanna play the 3DS on a Ds? Possible. On a airplanes rotating fans? Yeah!

I'd buy it.

killeryunran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
monkat said:
I don't think it would be too hard to hold, even with the styli though - just hold the bottom with your pinky, ring, and middle, gripping the stylus with pointer and thumb.

No no no. With your thumb and pointer you'll hold one stylus. And the other stylus has to be stuck between your pinky and ring. And you would use your middle to move the second stylus.

Because I've tried to use the chopstick hero idea(Not Really xD). But I couldn't really move them that well :S

bluebowser31

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i definitly HOPE this wont happen. multitouch would be great, but if so, it NEEDS to be 1 stylus (spelling?) max!

i personaly think the whole 3d and touchscreen thing wont work to well, and if the thing about its screens being 2 different sizes, i bet the touch screen is only used for the dsi compadibilty, which i thought ign said it would have.

i just hope its free, has a 500 PPI, games are free, a hombrew kit/guide comes with it, and it is able to emulate the PS3. ANYTHING LESS AND I WILL SUE!

XtremeCore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To understand multi-touch, first, we must understand that there are 2 kinds of touchscreen out there - the capacitive touchscreen (found on iPod touches/iPhones) and resistive touchscreen (found on the current DS line, and most smartphones)

Capacitive touchscreen is really about using only your finger. From what I've read, it seems that capacitive will only work with your fingers - which means no gloves, no stylus, no anything ... just your finger. And capacitive touchscreen really work like a breeze - it's true touchscreen.

Resistive touchscreen are different. They worked by having 2 plastic films coming in contact with each other to sense the position. Thus, this requires ONLY pressure ... which means no matter what material you're using, as long as you applied pressure, it should work. So, stylus, gloves ... practically any object works with resistive. But using pressure makes resistive touchscreen like a pressscreen or sth of a similar constituency.

Normally, if they were to include multi-touch, they will most likely use capacitive touchscreen ... which means no stylus. But then again, cost is higher, and lifespan is shorter.

However, from what I've read, some resistive touchscreen do support multi-touch. But imo, if we want multi-touch, using resistive touchscreen really defeats the purpose of multi-touch. It would be very difficult to multi-touch with pressure. The idea of multi-touch is really about not using stylus, but using your fingers, since functions like pinch-to-zoom works really weird with stylus (and with pressure).

So in my opinion, if 3DS were to include multi-touch, Nintendo would use capacitive touchscreen and no stylus.

If Nintendo wants 3DS to come with stylus, I think resistive is the answer, and same as the current DS line, only 1 stylus -- unless they want multi-touch resistive ... which imo, not very good.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
XtremeCore said:
Capacitive touchscreen is really about using only your finger. From what I've read, it seems that capacitive will only work with your fingers - which means no gloves, no stylus, no anything ... just your finger. And capacitive touchscreen really work like a breeze - it's true touchscreen.
not really, since it's not the touch it detects but close proximity to an electric field(you don't need to actually touch the screen, just coming close enough with your fingers is enough)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and normal grapes