Hardware Possibilities of 2 stylus on 3DS ?

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
http://www.planet3ds.net/news/double-pen-s...-stylus-action/

QUOTE said:
Namco has announced Double Pen Sports, a Wii Sports lookalike that is played with two styluses at the same time.

Two styluses? How would that work? Take the included archery game for example. In it, you hold the bow with the left stylus, then take aim and let go to fire with the right stylus, just like it’s done in real life (Well, if you replace “stylus” with “hand”.)

This raises the question whether the 3DS’s bottom screen will actually be multi touch capable or if it’s possible to simulate the feature. And will the game include a second stylus? One thing that is for sure is that it’ll be hard to play on the train since you’ll have to lay your 3DS down on a table to play. The released screenshot indicate that the game might also be playable with one stylus in two steps, though.

Double Pen Sports will be out Spring 2011.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or they could just not use stylus and actually do finger control. I mean the iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad have a pretty good multitouch screen, just do something like that. Hell, have it stylus-compatible too if they really want.

renes2

~New World~
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think You CAN use two stylus, because with "The Last window" you can use two stylus, too.

(The Switch in the 4Floor)

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, the original touchscreen in DS is more advanced than it looks. Some homebrew app ("Colors", I think) was able to detect different levels of pressure. And I remember in "Hotel Dusk" at one point you were supposed to pull two switches at the same time...

But with the introduction of slidepad, the need for multitouch and/or second stylus is greatly reduced.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
pachura said:
Actually, the original touchscreen in DS is more advanced than it looks. Some homebrew app ("Colors", I think) was able to detect different levels of pressure. And I remember in "Hotel Dusk" at one point you were supposed to pull two switches at the same time...
True, but the feature was removed again in the DSi and DSi XL/LL for some reason. I'd love to know why, and if said games will actually still work on the DSi, given that there's a certain part in the game which requires the player to do something that his console is uncapable of.
unsure.gif

Daku93

Trophies
Website
usrcheat.cwsurf.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
renes2 said:
I think You CAN use two stylus, because with "The Last window" you can use two stylus, too.

(The Switch in the 4Floor)

This works different than you'd expect.
It only detects one point on the touchscreen. First the point is on one of the switches. Then when you put a secons finger/ stylus on the second switch the recognized point moves to the middle of the two switches. So you can also activate both switches by first pushing on one switch then moving in the middle of them.
That proves only one point is recognized.

renes2

~New World~
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
and whats with the firealarm? There, you must hold the glasses away, and with the second stylus you must switch the switch

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Multi-touch screens tend to get rid of the stylus and just use fingers. Check the iPhone touch screen, it works beautifully and doesn't need styli to play games...then again it's got no buttons. But if the 3DS had both, that would be great.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Obviously the 3DS will come with hovering capabilities, so you can use 2 styli without worrying about how to hold or support the system. LOL! Ok, seriously, the "chopstick" idea has me curious. Though most people aren't good at it, it might work to some extent

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
HBK said:
Multi-touch screens tend to get rid of the stylus and just use fingers. Check the iPhone touch screen, it works beautifully and doesn't need styli to play games...

No, they usually do not work with styluses at all.

The problem with using fingers is a.) they are less precise b.) they obscure part of the screen.
Imagine playing Trauma Center: Under the Knife with fingers - for me it wouldn't work.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are some styli that work with multitouch screens. I believe the fact that they tend to be capacitive is the reason most styli don't work with them though.

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arctic said:
TwinRetro said:
I think a two-fingered glove with stylus-like nubs on the tips would be the best way to deal with this.
I still say capacitive, then we don't even need a stylus anymore.

I quite literally *hate*, with a burning passion, using my fingers on touchscreens a la the iPod and 'Droid--it obscures the screen and makes precise movement nearly impossible, as other posters have already noted.

(Sony's (alleged) implementation of a back-facing camera to deal with this is a novel idea in the PSP2 as it gets your damn hands off the bloody screen, but it will probably still have problems w/ precision unless you have fingers like spider legs.)

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are multitouch styli even available on ShopTemp. Saw one a few weeks ago.

I don't mind using my fingers or thumbs on my phone screen. Usually my fingers/thumbs/hands are clean anyway, and if they get dirty, such as having grease or oil or anything like that from eating dinner for example, then I'll wash my hands first. A long time ago I thought that using hands instead of a stylus might have obscured the screens more than they do, though at the time resistive screens were more common and did show up fingerprints well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool