Poll: Your Game Boy Advance model of choice?

logo.png

Launching all the way back in 2001, the Game Boy Advance was the first radical redesign in the Game Boy line of systems with its move to a horizontal layout. Throughout its nearly 10 year lifespan we also saw multiple redesigns and revisions of the hardware.

It infamously launched with a non-backlit screen meaning it was notorious for being difficult to play in low light situations. This was remedied by third party add-ons, most famously the Afterburner and was later addressed by Nintendo with the launch of the Game Boy Advance SP which featured a front-lit display.

It was also of course the system that made GBAtemp possible and the reason we're here today thanks to a boom in piracy when an abundance of affordable and easy-to-use flash carts flooded the markets.

The GBA saw three major hardware revisions with the original, the SP and the Micro.

The Original Game Boy Advance

gba.png

The original GBA launched on March 21 2001 in Japan and has sold over 81 million units to date. It's radical redesign in form factor sported a horizontal layout, shoulder buttons and 240×160px TFT LCD.

Games shipped on game paks that were roughly half the height of the original Game Boy cartridges and could hold up to 32MB of data (with Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories shipping on this size cartridge).

Game Boy Advance SP

gba-sp-silver.png

The Game Boy Advance launched in 2003 and saw yet another change to the form factor of the handheld. It featured a clam shell design which enabled the screen to be protected when not in use, more importantly, the display featured a front-lit panel which enabled play in any lighting condition.

In terms of specs the system stayed the same but Nintendo added a rechargeable lithium ion battery and opted to remove the headphone jack (showing courage 13 years before Apple). They sold a separate adaptor for 3.5mm headphones that plugged into the multipurpose charging port. This also meant you couldn't charge the system and use headphones at the same time.

In late 2005 Nintendo released a revised version of the GBA SP (AGS-101) of which the major difference was the addition of a proper backlit and much brighter screen.

Game Boy Advance Micro

gba-micro.png

In 2005 Nintendo released the final GBA redesign in the form of the Game Boy Advance Micro. A miniature version of the system barely any bigger than the game paks themselves. Weighing in at just 80g the system sported a rechargeable battery and backlit display.

The screen was of course much smaller though it retained pixel resolution meaning games didn't look squashed or distorted. Interestingly enough for the size it also saw the return of the headphone jack and also featured removable, customisable face plates. Though it did lose backwards compatibility with legacy Game Boy cartridges.

games.jpg

What was your preferred model of the Game Boy Advance?

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the micro is too small and the sp is way too uncomfortable to hold. The original is my favorite. 3rd party’s now make backlit screens for the gba and gba sp. Several backlit screens are now very simple. Remove the old screen and put in the new one. Zero soldering required and zero modifying of the case. Rechargeable batteries are cheap now. Anyone loving the sp nowadays either has baby hands or is simply an idiot!

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS or 3DS for me, they both natively load GBA games, and have a form factor I'm used to.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only ever had an original Game Boy Advance. I used a friend's Game Boy Advance SP once, and I found the control base to be too narrow, and I preferred my original Game Boy Advance. However, I probably would have gotten used to the Game Boy Advance SP over time.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My favorite GBA is a PC with the mGBA emulator.
In all seriousness though, if i were a boy back in 2003 who wanted a new GBA model i'd just get an SP
I usually play with headphones off so no headphone jack is no big problem for me haha
Also, clamshell form factor on a handheld is the only way to go. easy to fit into a pocket, easy to take out and play. i dont like settling for less

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
OG all day, the SP is too small for my hands so it gets too uncomfortable to play for long stretches. Never seen a Micro in person myself, but I know for sure I wouldn't bother with one regardless because of it's size.

One of these days I need to pick up an IPS screen for my OG GBA so I can have the perfect GBA.

Physix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'll go with Gameboy Advance SP, it's just part of my childhood. Never had the chance to get my hand on the other models though. For today, I would rather stick with 3DS and dump my games onto SD card.

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
I love the modding community - and Imma have to go with the GBA Macro (NOT Micro!) it's a DS lite converted to a GBA-only console (usually cause the top screen broke or something)

Is mine real ? I cant find this color online

Yours looks like the Game Boy Advance SP - Pearl Blue model. It's a real model.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The original GBA is nostalgic, but the better console is definitely AGS-101. I'd honestly prefer an OG with a backlight, but if we're talking stock consoles, AGS-101 is the best way to play GameBoy Advance on original hardware.

Or just get a modded one ;)
If the site could do a collaboration with retromodding.com, and give away one of those gorgeous modded GBAs... Dude.

Reactions: slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you guys like the funny playing IPS v2 kits or prefer AGS101 screen with its matrix grid and screen door like effect?
After much research, I like the ags101 best. The games will look too clean on an ips screen, but that’s just me. I like the little lines (screen door effect) in the ags101 screen, without them, I’d feel like I was just emulating then on my psp.

However, the ips mod does seem to be easier to install and the ten levels of brightness would be nice. I have the ags101 screen with a 5level brightness switch.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,
Reactions: playstays_shun

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
It is not blue

What color is it ?

Attachments

• 5015F458-BE41-4E46-8417-4B266FAF6959.jpeg
    5015F458-BE41-4E46-8417-4B266FAF6959.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 156

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
Well, if the box has the same color, then no, it hasn’t been in the sun. Too bad you still didn’t have the box. That’d, for sure, have the color’s name on it.
Found it

I might buy new one someday. It plays gb, gbc and gba games so it is not bootleg and the screen is very good too

Attachments

• 63E76AD7-E923-4A63-A4D3-1C596C938AA9.png
    63E76AD7-E923-4A63-A4D3-1C596C938AA9.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 135
Reactions: slaphappygamer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Psi likes Cream Pie I hear