Hardware Poll: What do you think of the Switch?

What do you think of the Switch?

• Looks great! I'm definitely interested

Votes: 762 55.8%
  • Intriguing, but I'll wait to know more before I make up my mind

Votes: 467 34.2%
  • Not really interested, I don't see the appeal

Votes: 64 4.7%
  • WTF Nintendo? what is this crap

Votes: 73 5.3%

• Total voters

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm not sure what a Pixel C is, but the Shield TV also uses Tegra X1 and it's half that price, $250 new.
The Shield TV has different limitations - it's not limited by the thickness of the device, it has superior cooling opportunities and it's built in-house by Nvidia, so the chips come at manufacturer's prices. That, and just the fact that the Pixel C has a screen bumps up the price significantly - those things aren't cheap. There are some good reasons why the tablet is dearer than the console. ;)

Reactions: specht

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
My Friend I was the one who knew that this was a Tablet when people were figuring out what it was ( look at my past posts) , and that the Wii U was already dead.
and as for power, What Tablet (besides the Razer Edge Pro) you know that can out perform a Next Gen Home Console or PC, Not a Tegra in anyform X1 or X2.
As for Information, It's being a Nintendo Fan for 35 years. I'm Not Bashing the System, Just Sick of Nintendo's Ideas.
It's something people are already doing with their android devices, looking at the games shots it's nothing pretty.

I'm sorry I had to tell you. My bad for Putting it out there, I'm just a Fed UP Nintendo Fan.
this is for you then.

Reactions: Deleted User

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Overall maybe "intrigued"? Braindumping some thoughts with no particular flow...

Firstly, I don't think that this is necessarily as purely "innovative" as Nintendo's previous few consoles - at least in the sense that nobody has done this before - and that excites me greatly:

Nintendo are applying their magic and charm to a Nvidia Shield-esque device (or if you prefer, something akin to the many Android tablets which have grown in popularity as of late), and with it are guaranteeing both widespread third-party support and plentiful sales. As a result it's possible that this may influence their competitors and we may start seeing future updates (or additions) to the various console lines heading in this direction too.

As before it seems like hardware hasn't been a strong focus for Nintendo with the Switch, something it's doubtful that they will ever change as they turn technical limitations into selling points with their quirky style. As someone who constantly flip-flops on whether or not this is a good idea, I can't really decide if that's a good thing or not - The DS went on to build up quite a substantial gaming library despite being massively underpowered at launch, and to an extent I suppose you could say the same of the Wii.
That being said, their earlier consoles also had D-pads!

Maybe in the vein of the Shield we'll see greater support for streaming-based services, whether those be Netflix-style VOD services, or PS Now-style game streaming. It might be interesting for Nintendo to branch out into "game rentals", or something along those lines. Although ... I can't help but notice that OnLive went bust yet again, so maybe it isn't a sustainable model after-all.

Who knows, maybe this could be "the next big thing"?

Reactions: Deleted User

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The Shield TV has different limitations - it's not limited by the thickness of the device, it has superior cooling opportunities and it's built in-house by Nvidia, so the chips come at manufacturer's prices. That, and just the fact that the Pixel C has a screen bumps up the price significantly - those things aren't cheap. There are some good reasons why the tablet is dearer than the console. ;)
Yeah. I imagine Nvidia will give Nintendo a pretty steep discount on the chips, maybe even at cost. Any success the Switch has will reflect back positively on both companies.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i.e most first-party games and third party exclusives?
Well, yes. Seem like big waste of experience. Mainly talking about the NS, but even before, not every game will have heavy use of features you seem to hate so much. Most will have them as an option. There's just no reason to get rid off them.

Nor were touchscreens designed with the specific purpose of gaming in mind.
Nor was the mouse, yet some people like to claim that is the best way to play.

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Nor was the mouse, yet some people like to claim that is the best way to play.
Mice and touchscreens couldn't be more polar opposites. Again, a mouse isn't a device unto itself, it's a controller that costs $50 or less. A good mouse is accurate down to the pixel while touchscreens are easy to misclick. A mouse is also pretty useless without a keyboard to accompany it. So if I'm playing a game, my left hand on the keyboard and my right on the mouse (just like you need both hands on a controller), what use would adding a touchscreen be? And why would I want to dirty up/scratch up the screen I need to see clearly in order to play games?

Touchscreens have their uses. It's just that proper gaming has never been one of them. They're more a convenience/simplicity thing. Even the 3DS has plenty of games that can be played without using the touchscreen at all. Motion controls don't fit in with a portable console for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Xzi,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah. I imagine Nvidia will give Nintendo a pretty steep discount on the chips, maybe even at cost. Any success the Switch has will reflect back positively on both companies.
Let me get this straight... They'll give a discount to Nintendo, a console manufacturer with whom they are in active competition over the "affordable console" market (Shield TV), because it improves their image... but they didn't give a discount to Google, the company that basically owns the Internet, the creators of the OS that drives the majority of consumer smartphones, with whom they are not in competition at all? N-no - Nintendo's only getting a quantity discount at best, NVidia has no reason at all to cut the price for them.
Mice and touchscreens couldn't be more polar opposites. Again, a mouse isn't a device unto itself, it's a controller that costs $50 or less. A good mouse is accurate down to the pixel while touchscreens are easy to misclick. A mouse is also pretty useless without a keyboard to accompany it. So if I'm playing a game, my left hand on the keyboard and my right on the mouse (just like you need both hands on a controller), what use would adding a touchscreen be? And why would I want to dirty up/scratch up the screen I need to see clearly in order to play games?

Touchscreens have their uses. It's just that proper gaming has never been one of them. They're more a convenience/simplicity thing. Even the 3DS has plenty of games that can be played without using the touchscreen at all. Motion controls don't fit in with a portable console for obvious reasons.
Touchscreens are ideal controllers for turn-based strategies and RTS'es, among other genres. They absolutely have a place in gaming, they're not a gimmick.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My main point was mouses wasn't built for gaming for specifically and now trying to distract from that point. If given a choice. I would still use the controller. I guess the mouse shouldn't be an option. Depends on the game or even if a keyboard and mouse is even needed. If touching the screen will get through my ui and menus faster, I'm using it.

Touchscreens have their uses. It's just that proper gaming has never been one of them. They're more a convenience/simplicity thing. Motion controls don't fit in with a portable console for obvious reasons.
Disagree about touchscreens and it not just a portable console. Let's agree to disagree.

Reactions: FrozenDragon150

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
This concerns me; what about the 3DS' and the Wii U? Is Nintendo trying to kill their own consoles!? Despite that, i like the idea and the approach. Maybe it runs a base of Android, and with the Nvidia Tegra GPU, woohohooo...we're coming Xbox One and PS4!

Purepazaak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Would have to see some "content" like Reggie promised (at least something more than a 5 year overdue Zelda game) before I would even consider getting this gaming tablet.

Sorry if I sound negative but this just seems like an idea that nobody asked for and I wish Nintendo would focus more on games than trying to constantly "innovate" the way we play games.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

As much as we would like that to happen, let's face it:

Nvidia is a business company. Not a charity.

My guess is that Nintendo is willing to pay for higher quality chips. I like the fact that they are not risking anything this time around.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo switch is supposed to have Skyrim so I hope they also put fallout 4. Also wii u vc seems definite so I'm really looking forward to this. Modding btw might have to use hard drive instead of sd. I hope 3ds is also a compatable cpntroller and you can transfer your games

Not it's not. Beth just clarified it was a tech demo they made to see how they could push the switch. Skyrim isn't being worked on any further beyond patches for the ps4/xbone. work to port/create a nintendo isn't planned.

ScottBeebiWan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
580a9751b2e90.png

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Let me get this straight... They'll give a discount to Nintendo, a console manufacturer with whom they are in active competition over the "affordable console" market (Shield TV)
Switch is basically the Shield 2. Sure, Nvidia has plans for other device releases, but they're clearly banking on Nintendo for their first mainstream foray into the console market. Shield in all its forms has been well-received, but it's still stayed mostly a niche product. It's a mutually beneficial partnership, so I'd be very surprised if Nvidia charged Nintendo full price.

Touchscreens are ideal controllers for turn-based strategies and RTS'es, among other genres. They absolutely have a place in gaming, they're not a gimmick.
A mouse is ideal for those things. Touchscreens are a distant second, right up there with trackballs and laptop nipple-mice. Again, nobody wants to play competitive online games or games that emphasize timing like Dark Souls on a touchscreen. It's fine for casual F2P drop-puzzle games, but people don't buy consoles for those. Clearly Nintendo realized the same thing.

Disagree about touchscreens and it not just a portable console. Let's agree to disagree.
Regardless it has to be able to be portable, so motion controls are ruled out from the get-go because you need a separate device that tracks them. Two if you want really accurate tracking (IE Vive).

Last edited by Xzi,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
This concerns me; what about the 3DS' and the Wii U? Is Nintendo trying to kill their own consoles!? Despite that, i like the idea and the approach. Maybe it runs a base of Android, and with the Nvidia Tegra GPU, woohohooo...we're coming Xbox One and PS4!
Rumors say that Nintendo will support the 3DS until 2018, and the Wii U has been dead since launch :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway +1