• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] Have you had Covid-19 before?

Have you had Covid-19?

• No

Votes: 159 46.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 118 34.3%
  • Don't know / Never been tested

Votes: 67 19.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, i went out of my way to get it because of the junk science that implied natural immunity would be helpful, somehow i made it without the magic needle.
Intentionally contracting COVID-19 is very much not recommended. Compared to the vaccine, contracting COVID-19 carries far worse and far more likely risks, not to mention that you're likely to spread the disease to other people if you contract it.

The safest and most effective way to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and avoid long-term and/or serious illness is to get vaccinated.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Your institutions are far from reputable. They are broken and not deserving of trust. Considering America has the worst reporting, I have no reason to think that you are capable of telling the truth or providing a solution.

Haha, go outside. Oh right, you can't.

That's a statistic established on the American condition, based on the idea that you definitely will get the worst variant of Covid, or shot by a gun, and it's fucking stupid.

Anyone can look up the deathrates in Japan. Suicide is a greater risk by a factor of 2. Watch out. You are twice as likely to kill yourself than to die of Covid. Don't do it!

I also provided the study behind the numbers reflecting increased injury related to the vaccine in Japan. If you want to pretend that never happened, good for you.
It’s a good thing that it’s not just the US reporting the same results but of course you are just going to ignore those. You’ve been clinging to one article that doesn’t even confirm anything. Within the article itself it doesn’t confirm the deaths linked to the vaccines, but does show all of the deaths were links to preexisting conditions.
As for your jab at my health, I can go outside and take regular walks, hikes, and enjoy life with my wife. My limitations are mostly areas where I potentially risk being exposed to infections, such as overcrowded stores, concerts, and other gatherings. Which I actively avoid to the best of my ability. Me not regularly leaving my home is a choice that’s mostly due to avoiding the weather when it’s too extreme for me to enjoy.

Reactions: Lacius

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had Covid twice. Once in 2020, once in 2021. Decent flu lasted over a week.
COVID is a govnt scam. Give your freedoms and take the jab you Taxx Cattle.
On average, more than 2,400 Americans are dying from COVID-19 everyday, and approximately 90% of them are unvaccinated.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As for your jab at my health,

It's not a jab at your health. It's a jab at how you live and how your lifestyle is incompatible with even being able to relate to my life. Your use of statistics don't even apply to reality. They assume that the alternative to taking the vaccine is getting the worst strain of Covid and it isn't even real.

As for my reference, I posted a study that revealed greater illnesses coming from vaccinated people than what is expected of the public in general.

Last edited by tabzer,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your use of statistics don't even apply to reality. They assume that the alternative to taking the vaccine is getting the worst strain of Covid
You're many times less likely to die if you get the vaccine. This assumes you're medically able to get the vaccine, but the assumptions stop there.

Getting the vaccine makes it significantly less likely you will contract the disease and spread it to other people. This alone should be reason enough for people who aren't assholes to get vaccinated if they're medically able to do so.

Getting the vaccine makes it significantly less likely you will suffer serious illness or death if you end up contracting COVID-19. This is true regardless of your age and other health conditions, assuming they don't preclude you from getting the vaccine in the first place.

Getting the vaccine makes it significantly less likely you will suffer long-term effects from COVID-19 if you end up contracting it, regardless of your age, your health, and the severity of your illness.

and it isn't even real.
It isn't completely clear what you're suggesting here, but COVID-19 exists, COVID-19 variants exist, and approximately 11,000 people globally continue to die from COVID-19 everyday. About 90% of them are unvaccinated.

As for my reference, I posted a study that revealed greater illnesses coming from vaccinated people than what is expected of the public in general.
You posted an article that isn't reputable. It makes unsubstantiated claims (among others) about the vaccine causing suicides, it appears to cherry-pick data with small sample sizes, it isn't a controlled study, it isn't peer-reviewed, it contradicts nearly all reputable research from all over the world, and I can't even check the Japanese language primary sources to see if the data is even correct.

When you cherry-pick one disreputable article that supports your point of view, and you ignore the mountain of reputable research that contradicts it, you should probably ask yourself if your biases are clouding your judgement. Even if your article had been reputable (it wasn't), you would have still needed to ask yourself why <1% of reputable sources said one thing, and why >99% of reputable sources said another thing.

I find it hilarious that you keep irrelevantly yelling "but your country" in response to my points about scientific data, as though the research I'm talking about isn't global, but you're the only one here cherry-picking one bad source from one place.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's not a jab at your health. It's a jab at how you live and how your lifestyle is incompatible with even being able to relate to my life. Your use of statistics don't even apply to reality. They assume that the alternative to taking the vaccine is getting the worst strain of Covid and it isn't even real.

Literally the post above this one you outright state it’s a jab at my health. As for the rest, that’s not at all what anyone is saying. What has been said, is that unvaccinated are getting worse symptoms of Covid and dying at a higher rate, which is proven and actual reality.
https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/covid-19/vaccine-status.htm
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7104e2.htm
https://www.azdhs.gov/covid19/documents/data/rates-of-cov-19-by-vaccination.pdf?v=20220105
https://www.dshs.texas.gov/immunize/covid19/data/vaccination-status/
https://amp.statesman.com/amp/6511901001
https://time.com/6138566/pandemic-of-unvaccinated/?amp=true
You posted a study that doesn’t even confirm or line up with the point you were trying to make. Equally, one paper (that doesn’t even conflict with current studies,) does not debunk the countless research showing the harm of remaining unvaccinated nor counter the research showing the safety and effectiveness of vaccines. If you can only manage to find one paper, then you should start questioning why that’s the case.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: KingVamp and Lacius

deerfern

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't had it yet... knock on wood I won't, ever. I've had both my shots, booster included. However, people in my family and friends, neighbors, have had it. Some deaths. Not a nice disease. Hope it's under control soon. With all the breakthroughs and research and development the various countries have, no doubt it will be. A race to be the first true vaccine!

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I find it hilarious that you keep irrelevantly yelling "but your country" in response to my points about scientific data, as though the research I'm talking about isn't global, but you're the only one here cherry-picking one bad source from one place.

Lacius. Calling my source bad because you don't like it is all that you are doing. I've already stated my disagreement with you about your characterization of it, and its not peer reviewed because it's a data analysis. In response to the numbers showing greater amounts of illness coming from the vaccinated than would be expected from the general public, you said you had contradictory data, and you still haven't provided it.

If you think someone living in Japan bares the same statistical risk as someone living amidst the epicenter of an outbreak, then you are clearly not operating on science or rationality.

I'm sorry that this is inconvenient for your argument, but you are an idiot.

Reactions: BitMasterPlus

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lacius. Calling my source bad because you don't like it is all that you are doing.
I listed very specific problems with your source, so this demonstrably isn't what I'm doing. Lol.

In response to the numbers showing greater amounts of illness coming from the vaccinated than would be expected from the general public, you said you had contradictory data, and you still haven't provided it.
Reputable sources have been provided by myself and others for months.

If you think someone living in Japan bares the same statistical risk as someone living amidst the epicenter of an outbreak, then you are clearly not operating on science or rationality.
A person who contracts COVID-19 is significantly more likely to suffer serious illness or death if they are unvaccinated, regardless of where they live or what the rate of COVID-19 transmission is in their specific area.

I'm sorry that this is inconvenient for your argument, but you are an idiot.
I'm not the one making baseless claims, making debunked claims, cherry-picking sources, or ignoring points.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've not had COVID, nor have any of my family or friends. But I have coworkers whose family members have had it. One of the MAs I work with at the clinic lost his sister and his favorite nephew to it - both unvaccinated. I've never really been on the skeptic side of the vaccine itself, only of the companies that produce them. The sad truth is that as shitty as big pharma is, the vaccines are a necessity to prevent hospitalization - and even death.

People will still make their choice whether or not to get it. I'm not wholly against the idea of a vaccnine mandate, but I can also see the concern that comes with it, given the the working class's relationship with the government, and especially in the U.S where there have also been a lot of people who have been screwed over by our healthcare system. To that end, I put a large chunk of blame on our system on this side of the pond. Everyone in the media is always making the other side out to be the enemy, and our politicians don't seem to have the best interest of the people in mind. Not sure what it's like overseas. Perhaps some of the sentiment is the same in other parts of the world.

Captain Library

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm recovering from my 2nd bout of covid (originally got the virus in March 2020!). First time around was quite different; I had difficulty breathing - it was very dry but I had shuddering, rattling breaths. It didn't make me feel too sick overall and my partner had it worse than me. This time, it's been more like a bad cold - very goopy, a nasty sore throat at the start, and a persistent headache. Toward the end I've been very tired, and I've felt poorly for about 12 days (tested positive on day 2). I've had 2 jabs of Pfizer, and a Moderna booster shot in December.

scroeffie1984

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
all i want to say is ,i respect everybody who took the vaccine and is wearing a mask ! if you feal unsafe take the vaccine .
but i dont feel unsafe and iam healthy so i wont take anything and iam not wearing a mask from day 1 not ! :D

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are you talking about?
What are you on about?
Oh, just the fake, flawed studies on behalf of the pharmaceutical companies to get emergency approval for these clot shots in the first place. Why am I not surprised that you two are blissfully unaware of it?

Are you talking about this ?

The people in the placebo group decided to take the vaccine when available and therefore weren't eligible to remain in the ongoing study.. as much as I hate to defend them that's not the same as Pfizer and Moderna deliberately invalidating the control group.
Yes, that's it. Revealing their vaccination status is invalidating the control group. The key point is "ongoing study", so it wasn't even over. Now there can be no long term data with this study.

"It's a loss from a scientific standpoint, but given the circumstances I think it's the right thing to do"

And there you have a perfect example of "the science", or rather an attempt to deflect something that absolutely is not science with some bullshit ethical stance.

all i want to say is ,i respect everybody who took the vaccine and is wearing a mask ! if you feal unsafe take the vaccine .
but i dont feel unsafe and iam healthy so i wont take anything and iam not wearing a mask from day 1 not ! :D
People are free to make their own decisions is my whole thing, even if it does nothing at best or gives them heart disease and AIDS as seems to be the case. It's sad, but what can you do?

Last edited by Glyptofane,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, just the fake, flawed studies on behalf of the pharmaceutical companies to get emergency approval for these clot shots in the first place. Why am I not surprised that you two are blissfully unaware of it?
Claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
And what of the studies not conducted by pharmaceutical companies? Those all fake too? What about the international studies? The studies conducted outside the US? What about the evidence that isn’t just US-centric? Also what about “clot-shots?” Do you have sources for that? It’s not that I am unaware, it’s that the research isn’t just done by a few companies and that the results have been replicated multiple times over by multiple companies in multiple other countries. With all the vaccinations given, the rate of harmful side-effects have been shown to be extremely low and often effecting people with preexisting conditions. Even mild side-effects are low and only last a few hours to a few days. If there was something truly harmful, it would be extremely hard to hide. Equally those “exposing” the harm have been and are easy to debunk. If anything I am saying is wrong, then properly dispute those statements with evidence.

Reactions: Lacius
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure if that or RC Pro AM was my favorite NES racing game... hmmmm
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I loved the rc pro am games
    @SylverReZ, RC Pro AM was made by Rare, and that explains why I liked it. Just learned the other day about a game I loved that was made by Rare and I was surprised lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was playing need for speed remastered and said to myself this is a nice Forza remaster
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare Not all of them are awesome but man the hits on that list.
    Oh snap Super Offroad was by them too? lol damn
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Today I learned that the creators of the Donkey Kong games also made Sea of Thieves
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why do i feel the sudden urge to start singing pirate's scorn from the donkey kong country cartoon?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you being for real, cause that's hard to believe, DK is Nintendo and made in japan, Sea of thieves was from Microsoft, in America. I'm not calling you a liar, just didn't know.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yes they were both made by Rare, but DK was from Rare back then, Rare now is owned by MS. So makes since.
    +1
    They even developed a LJN game.... lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was pretty rare
    I wonder what deal with Satan LJN worked to get Rare to make that one...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember couple years ago, they announced they were working on a Perfect Dark remake, wonder what ever happen with that?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It went into the darkness
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and buddies used to play the hell out of Perfect Dark on N64, that and Goldeneye, was the first real PvP shooter games I remember
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    4-way split screen on a tiny 19" TV, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you share joysticks also
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh we had the 4 controller add on thingy for n64. Duh I just got your joke, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So you touched ends
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, but being in the boy scouts, they forced us to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chopped down some wood for the scout master
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Big Gay Al was our Scout leader.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Big Gay Al was our Scout leader.