[POLL] Do you prefer physical games or digital games?

Do you prefer physical games or digital games?

• Physical Games

Votes: 60 56.6%
  • Digital Games

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • Both

Votes: 31 29.2%

• Total voters
D

Deleted User

Adding on to my previous statement, oftentimes I prefer physical games over digital because they help maintain a certain "spectacle," something I find fading as time goes on.

In the Emulation vs. Original Hardware debate thread, I believe @osaka35 mentioned how gaming can be seen as a collection of experiences, and how emulating a game and playing it on the original hardware can provide two very different experiences. Playing Street Fighter II on a Genesis will provide different experience than emulating the Genesis version of Street Fighter II on a PC, due in part to the controls (3 button controller vs. keyboard), picture quality (individual pixels are much more apparent in emulators), and so on and so forth. Likewise, playing Fire Emblem on a phone will be very different than playing Fire Emblem on an actual GBA, even if the one differing factor (the control scheme) is quite trivial.

I believe having a physical copy of the game with you impacts your experience, perhaps on a subconscious level. Having a fresh physical copy of the game with you impacts how you'll perceive the game, as stupid as that sounds. Humans can be very irrational creatures by default, so such inconsequential details, such as the controller you play it with, the system and screen you play it on, and the circumstances surrounding your play time (something as simple as the noise level in the room at the time, or something as far-reaching as the point in your life at which you're playing the game) can impact how you see the game. Stuff like game manuals and cover art all feed into a first impression of a game, which, in turn, greatly impacts your overall opinion of said game.

Some may find this opinion silly, that, in the end, it's only the games themselves that matter. However, consider this: if games themselves are simply a matter of evoking a series of responses and actions from the player within the context of the game, then why wouldn't the circumstances in which you play the game impact your perception of it?

Just my two cents. Curious as to what you guys think.

Reactions: osaka35

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
you dont have to blow the dust out from a digital copy. you also dont have to worry about it getting scratched.
Yes, but what happens when the service you have the digital copy on dies, and you lose the media the digital copy is on or it corrupts?

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
then, youre fucked. unless you locally made a backup, which you cant do with a physical copy.
Yes, but that backup is vulnerable to the exact same things your original copy was.

D

Deleted User

Yes, but what happens when the service you have the digital copy on dies, and you lose the media the digital copy is on or it corrupts?
You make frequent backups. This is where cloud storage comes in; so long as the servers are up and running, your stuff is safe.

This was how I was able to wipe my phone while rooting it in good conscience, as I had all my emulator saves backed up to the cloud.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a PS4 last year and I have only 2 physical games which are the demo disc and a game that came with the PS4 and the PSVR. I have a total of 48 games now which I have bought digitally. I am not so worried about losing the games as they can be downloaded again and the save games are also backed up online. Given World War III and the loss of the Internet this may be a foolish decision, but until that happens I am satisfied with the digital only games. For one I don't have to find a games in the stores, travel to get them (I don't own a car), wait in line and spend top dollar. I usually buy digital games while they are on sale or a couple I bought that were brand new releases. It's much more convenient, but if I were to lose the Internet for any reason and also the console broke I guess I would be SOL. There is also something to be said about owning a physical game with the nice box and hopefully an instruction manual that's not 10 pages long (8 of which are legal shit), but it is always wise to keep backups of your physical media and digital media just in case.

Dreamhigh1708

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I was reading this article : https://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/video-games-curse-retro which made me reconsider my view on physical vs digital copy

I always was naturally drawn to physical copies (in contrast with digital copies bought on "online stores" like the Playstation Store), but only though it was because I liked having a "collection" on my shelves. Now that I read this article, I'm even more determined to buy physical copies... Despite having to pay three times the price. The idea of some of my games becoming obsolete did sadden me, who knows, I might have a nostalgic spree in 10 years and want to play those games again...
That is funny because I usually like gaming on my computer best but that's the medium must likely to become obsolete... that really changed my way to see things... Any opinions ?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was reading this article : https://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/video-games-curse-retro which made me reconsider my view on physical vs digital copy

I always was naturally drawn to physical copies (in contrast with digital copies bought on "online stores" like the Playstation Store), but only though it was because I liked having a "collection" on my shelves. Now that I read this article, I'm even more determined to buy physical copies... Despite having to pay three times the price. The idea of some of my games becoming obsolete did sadden me, who knows, I might have a nostalgic spree in 10 years and want to play those games again...
That is funny because I usually like gaming on my computer best but that's the medium must likely to become obsolete... that really changed my way to see things... Any opinions ?
If I can pirate digital all the way and if not physical when possible

Reactions: AxlSt00pid

johnbus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whichever gives me the best DRM-free experience down the road. If I can either buy a physical copy that doesn't need an online connection, or a digital copy that requires an additional service that could prevent me from playing it at some point, I'd go with physical. If I can buy a physical copy that requires an online service like Steam, or a digital DRM-free copy like from GOG, then digital.

It dawned on me some years back that all electronic platforms will one day be obsolete. When they are, my best chance of playing my favorite games is whatever version can't be remotely shut down. Having the entire game on hand, whether physical or digital, is best.

Dreamhigh1708

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It dawned on me some years back that all electronic platforms will one day be obsolete. When they are, my best chance of playing my favorite games is whatever version can't be remotely shut down. Having the entire game on hand, whether physical or digital, is best.

Yeah, exactly my thought, but then wouldn't physical copies on consoles be the best bet ?

Physical copies, digital games eventually get lost in time, while the physical releases may become rare and be worth a lot.

I agree... I remember my very first video game I bought digitally for PC... Don't think I can find it and install it on my new computer to play again... and it was only 6 years ago...

johnbus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, exactly my thought, but then wouldn't physical copies on consoles be the best bet ?.

Usually, yes. I have heard of exceptions where there was just an online code in a physical 360 game box, though. I cannot remember what game it was, but some people were talking about how that was going to become the norm for the Xbox One. It didn't (I don't think, I don't play much Xbox), but that still has me on edge.

There were a lot of 'features' that enraged consumers during the months leading up to the Xbox One's launch that were later removed, but that doesn't mean they won't try it again.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Both have their positives for me.

Physical
- Nice case
- A big collection looks great on a shelf
- It somehow feels satisfying switching games
- The base game doesn't fill the storage (at least on Nintendo systems)

Digital
- Can be pirated
- Doesn't need physical space when travelling
- More comfortable when I feel lazy, because I don't have to get up

Reactions: SG854

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

Physical
- Nice case

Digital
- Can be pirated
- Doesn't need physical space when travelling
- More comfortable when I feel lazy, because I don't have to get up
A big collection looks cool. Unless it’s too big, I would have run out of space if I had physical for all the games I have. Majority of what I have is digital. And my rooms look cleaner because of that.

Physical cartridges can be a pain to use since they don’t always load properly. And I’m lazy so I prefer the easy switch of digital.

Digital for me. But some games have really cool box art to display.

Dreamhigh1708

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Usually, yes. I have heard of exceptions where there was just an online code in a physical 360 game box, though. I cannot remember what game it was, but some people were talking about how that was going to become the norm for the Xbox One. It didn't (I don't think, I don't play much Xbox), but that still has me on edge.

Yeah, I really wouldn't like that... I mean I've seen people who really just want the box for display... But buying a physical copy to find a code... Thankfully they seem to limit that sort of things to software and not games...

Physical
- Nice case

I totally agree with that last point... Especially since I got some PSVita games... The specific card you need to buy to download Playstation Store bought games is pretty expensive given the price of SD cards with equivalent storage... Might as well keep buying physical copies (even if it's twice as expensive, with the SD Card price I think it's just better to buy physical for the Vita...)

what game was it?

It was Alice Madness Returns !

Last edited by Dreamhigh1708,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto