ROM Hack [Pokemon Romhacks] Noob in need of Help - How to add/remove features from an IPS file.

scorro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been searching all over for romhacks of Pokemon Blue and Pokemon Crystal that only alter the game to the point where you have running shoes. I know Pokemon Warp Blue adds this, but I don't want to have the fast travel points and other changes. Similarly Perfect Crystal adds running shoes to the game, and also makes all pokemon available (I actually really like this, only modification aside from the running shoes I'd be happy with) but it has some other changes that I don't really want.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a hack of either of these games that only added running shoes. If not, is it possible to modify the IPS file of these hacks to remove all changes but the running shoes (even more ideally, with perfect crystal not removing the all pokemon being available mod, but that I'm going to guess is a lot more complicated).

I have IPS Peek installed, as well as a hex editor but I don't have any idea what to start fiddling around with. Either pointing me to a vanilla romhack with just shoes, or some advice (if its possible) on a way to selectively remove changes using one of the two aforementioned hacks.

Last edited by scorro,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IPS is just a list of changes, has no connection to pokemon at all.

There probably is a ROM hack out there with just that, or an editor that will effect a similar change (inventory items is an odd one though for hacks vs cheats -- you tend to make it such that the person trips over it, gets it as a reward very early on or finds it in the base shop for nothing, though you can also hardcode a cheat such that it adds it to your inventory just like you might get something that resets your health to full every frame) or possibly remove changes you don't want. I however have not really looked at editors in years for this sort of thing.

I should mention however that there is a very nice disassembly of many old pokemon games ( https://archives.glitchcity.info/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_disassembly_projects.html ). You could try to line up the original vs modded sections in that and thus what you might want to remove or restore to stock.

scorro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IPS is just a list of changes, has no connection to pokemon at all.

There probably is a ROM hack out there with just that, or an editor that will effect a similar change (inventory items is an odd one though for hacks vs cheats -- you tend to make it such that the person trips over it, gets it as a reward very early on or finds it in the base shop for nothing, though you can also hardcode a cheat such that it adds it to your inventory just like you might get something that resets your health to full every frame) or possibly remove changes you don't want. I however have not really looked at editors in years for this sort of thing.
I've had a comparison in a hex editor, and it's only finding one value different in the patched vs the non-patched. I know there are tools available to inject items/pokemon in but the games I want to have the running shoes never were in the base game. I'm clearly in over my head but I was hoping it wouldn't be complicated to use the IPS to see what changes it was making and infer from them which was the running shoes change.

scorro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
UPDATE: Got a patch for them that solely adds the running shoes. Shame about not having every Pokemon catchable, but glad I can at least run around now :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
UPDATE: Got a patch for them that solely adds the running shoes. Shame about not having every Pokemon catchable, but glad I can at least run around now :)
If they edit different parts of the ROM then you might be able to combine it with a 256 or 594 or whatever it is for your game patch. If there is still extra space elsewhere you might be able to redirect whatever part is smaller to that as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/LM0Y6RWvcr8?si=RjMLNrx1TEX301g1 Already has cfw lol